The Fame Game by Lauren Conrad

The Fame Game

by Lauren Conrad

Lauren's writing abilities have noticeably increased since her first novel. I wouldn't say I loved this story but I did find myself much more entertained than I did with the prior novels. I actually think I would like to read the next installment. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
Well, color me pleasantly surprised.

I don’t want to overstate it, this wasn’t a fantastic book, it wasn’t all that well written, and I’m not going to start recommending it to friends. But compared to my experience with Conrad’s first novel, L.A. Candy, this was a good read.

Technically a spin-off series, The Fame Game follows Madison Parker (from the L.A. Candy series) as she is cast for a new reality show called, appropriately enough, The Fame Game. The usual Hollywood hijinks and backstabbing occur, but there is another storyline where Madison’s sister, Sophia, shows up with their long absentee father in tow. It’s a twist I didn’t expect from this kind of story, and it really drew me in. (Daddy issues are universal!)

Again, like with L.A. Candy, The Fame Game doesn’t end. It’s the first in a series, so while there is a “plot twist” in the last chapter, there is no ending per se. However, I can honestly say I enjoyed the story enough that I would be interested in reading the next book in the series (titled Starstruck) if I came across it. ( )
  sixteendays | Jul 8, 2015 |
Good book about the trials of being a celebrity reality star. Enjoyed the aspects of just how boring the whole thing is and how much the girls have to keep secrets from each other in order to get the producers happy.

Too much language (f....) and wish that that had been left off and it might be OK for the school. ( )
  carolvanbrocklin | Jun 5, 2013 |
Fast read about fame-seeking girls in LA. It is fun to guess which character is based on which real life reality star LC knows. ( )
  emigre | Dec 27, 2012 |

I didn't have really any expectation going into The Fame Game, but it was better than I thought. I still haven't read Lauren's first trilogy, L.A. Candy, so I wasn't familiar with Madison Parker's character, or any other of the characters from the first trilogy, that I've seen other reviewers talk about. That aside, the characters, old and new, were not that hard to get to know. They're a bit flat, especially Madison and Gaby, they don't seem much more than a pretty face. The other characters had more depth to them, but not by much.

I was somewhat surprised how well Lauren's writing was, I guess I expected it to be a little sloppy, since she's a celebrity author, and most of them can't write worth a crap. The writing is simple, to the point, and easy to read. I think this is one of the fastest books I've ever read, I read it in almost a day.

I love the story line. I loved watching Mtv's The Hills when it was on, so it was kind of cool reading this and seeing what really probably happens behind the camera and "reality" tv. The Fame Game is a fun read. It's a good book to read on a rainy day when you just want something normal to read, and get a break from the paranormal, dystopian, other genres that everyone's been reading lately. I am going to definitely be getting the second book when it comes out. ( )
  JessicaRaexox | Jun 4, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062073281, Hardcover)

In Hollywood, fame can be found on every corner and behind any door. You just have to know where to look for it. Nineteen-year-old Madison Parker made a name for herself as best frenemy of nice-girl-next-door Jane Roberts on the hot reality show L.A. Candy. Now Madison's ready for her turn in the spotlight and she'll stop at nothing to get it. Sure, she's the star of a new show, but with backstabbing friends and suspicious family members trying to bring her down, Madison has her work cut out for her. Plus, there's a new nice girl in "reality" town—aspiring actress Carmen Price, the daughter of Hollywood royalty—and she's a lot more experienced at playing the fame game... When the camera's start rolling, whose star will shine brighter?

Filled with characters both familiar and new, Lauren Conrad's series about the highs and lows of being famous delivers Hollywood gossip and drama at every turn.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:10 -0400)

"Reality star Madison Parker, determined to take her career to the next level, signs on for a new TV show called THE FAME GAME. But more drama happens behind the scenes than onscreen"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,122,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible