The Right Attitude to Rain by Alexander…

The Right Attitude to Rain (2005)

by Alexander McCall Smith

This novel fills in all the blanks about Jamie and Isabel falling in love and getting together. Cat and Isabel have a standoff at one point because Cat is jealous of Isabel's and Jamie's love and just will not talk to Isabel for a time. Most of this book has Isabel's cousin and wife from TX visiting Scotland and they visit someone from TX who has relocated to Scotland (along with his betrothed) who wants to get his mitts on her Jamie. Eventually Tom and Angie of said couple break up but it looks like she may have taken her revenge out on his house in trying to burn it down with him in it. Vindictive yes? ( )
  lhaines56 | Feb 26, 2017 |
This book was light on plot and heavy on relationships between characters. While I want Isabel to be happy, I wanted a problem of some kind for her to sink her teeth into, like in the last book. I just felt a bit let down by this one. Ah well, you can't have everything! I'll still read or listen to the next one. I hope I can get it in audiobook form because I enjoy the narrator's voice. ( )
  aurelas | Dec 23, 2016 |
Apparently this is the third book in the Isabel Dalhousie series. Isabel is a philosopher who edits a journal of applied ethics and is independently well-off. Nothing much seems to happen for most of the book, but Isabel's internal dialog is interesting enough that I didn't mind, until what should have felt like a significant event didn't feel that way. There are different couples or potential couples in different stages of relationships and Isabel spends a lot of time and thought about them and her responsibility or lack thereof to help them.

Isabel promised her father that she would look after Grace, who had worked for him and is now Isabel's housekeeper. Unlike the Dashwoods in Sense and Sensibility, who decide that helping his father's second family is satisfied by a small lump sum payment, Isabel feels compelled to buy an apartment for Grace. This leads to ethical problems for Isabel when the current owner decides to lower the price because she thinks that Isabel and her friend Jamie are a couple. Personally, I was also concerned that Grace would be presented with an apartment that she didn't want.

The library that provided the book put a "Mystery" sticker on the cover. I suppose the previous books may have been mysteries. The only possible mystery is a fire that occurs elsewhere at the end of the story and we never definitely find out whodunit. (I have my suspicions.)

I enjoyed reading a story with an intelligent, considerate woman who overthinks things. ( )
  raizel | Feb 19, 2016 |
In this third installment of the series featuring the Edinburgh philosopher, Isabel Dalhousie’s cousin Mimi arrives with her husband, Joe, from Dallas for a visit. Mimi introduces Isabel to Tom Bruce, a wealthy Texas who has recently become engaged to Angie. But Angie seems much more interested in Isabel’s friend Jamie, who used to date Isabel’s niece, Cat. Meanwhile, Cat seems to be falling for a totally unsuitable young man.

What I really like about this series are Isabel’s philosophical musings, and this one is no exception. The central ethical dilemma seems to be when to keep one’s mouth shut vs when to tell all one knows. Is it interfering to let someone know what you’ve observed? Is it appropriate to voice one’s feelings for someone who is clearly attached to another?

I like the developing relationships in the series, which are slowly forming, as they do in real life, with occasional missteps, tiffs, and make-ups.

Hilary Neville does a fine job performing the audiobook. She has good pacing and I love the way she voices Isabel. However, I didn’t realize I had received an abridged audio until the second disc, and I then abandoned the audio to read the text.
  BookConcierge | Jan 14, 2016 |
The Isabel Dalhousie series never disappoints me (thus far). They are mysteries that aren't exactly mysteries. They're love stories, or philosophical studies, or plain fiction but still have the feel that there will always be something that needs to be "solved". This time Isobel is looking for a flat for her housekeeper and she takes an interest in an American couple who just don't seem "right" to her. And, then, of course, there is Jamie...... ( )
  kp9949 | Jan 12, 2016 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To take an interest in the affairs of others is entirely natural

ISABEL DALHOUSIE - Book 3

Nothing captures the charm of Edinburgh like the bestselling Isabel Dalhousie series of novels featuring the insatiably curious philosopher and woman detective.  Whether investigating a case or a problem of philosophy, the indefatigable Isabel Dalhousie, one of fiction’s most richly developed amateur detectives, is always ready to pursue the answers to all of life’s questions, large and small.

When Mimi, Isabel’s cousin from Dallas, arrives in Edinburgh with her husband, Joe, several confounding situations unfurl. First, Mimi and Joe introduce Isabel to Tom Bruce–a bigwig back home in Texas. The roving eye of Tom’s young fiancée leads Isabel to believe that money may be at the root of her love for Tom. But what, Isabel wonders, is at the root of Tom’s interest in Isabel herself? Then there are the feelings that Isabel has for Jamie, which are certainly hard to ignore. And she mustn’t forget about her niece, Cat, who’s busy falling for a man whom Isabel suspects of being an incorrigible mama’s boy.

Of course, Jamie counsels Isabel to stay out of it all, but there are irresistible philosophical issues at stake–when to tell the truth and when to keep one’s mouth shut, to be precise–and philosophical issues are meat and drink to Isabel Dalhousie, editor of the Review of Applied Ethics. In any case, Isabel is certain of the ethical basis for a little sleuthing now and again– especially when the problems involve matters of the heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:48 -0400)

When friends from Dallas arrive in Edinburgh and introduce Isabel to Tom Bruce, a bigwig at home in Texas, several confounding situations unfurl at once. Tom's young fiancee's roving eye leads Isabel to believe that money may be the root of her love for Tom. But what, Isabel wonders, is the root of the interest Tom begins to show for Isabel herself? And she can't forget about her niece, Cat, who's busy falling for a man whom Isabel suspects of being an incorrigible mama's boy. Of course Grace and Isabel's friend Jamie counsel Isabel to stay out of all of it, but there are irresistible philosophical issues at stake, when to tell the truth and when to keep one's mouth shut.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,987,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible