The Right Attitude to Rain (An Isabel…

The Right Attitude to Rain (An Isabel Dalhousie Mystery) (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Alexander McCall Smith

1,320335,850 (3.68)61
Member:ChrisSterry
Title:The Right Attitude to Rain (An Isabel Dalhousie Mystery)
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith
Info:Anchor Books (2007), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 276 pages
Collections:Your library, Bedroom 2, Joanie
Rating:*****
Tags:Novel

The Right Attitude to Rain by Alexander McCall Smith (2005)

What I learned from this book:
1. May-Dec. relationships can work in the reverse of the usual way.
2. May-Dec. relationships of the standard variety can be troublesome.
3. The Scot's view of Americans is not always flattering.
4. Birth control is always a good idea.

I enjoy AMS's writing very much and this series is entertaining. I do find Isabel to be quite wordy at times and AMS never says in 5 words what 15 will say equally as well. Additionally, her constant apologizing gets on my nerves after awhile; someone in her 40's should be able to deal with a rude niece firmly instead of groveling around.

I do like this series very much and would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice, easy read without any tension or mystery.
  MissJessie | Oct 16, 2013 |
This is the second McCall Smith I picked up in the library. I seem to love his titles, but I am, again, a little disappointed by the book itself. As a matter of fact, I though I picked up the same book again and needed to check twice. It was not the same one, but still it is more or less - the same. I suppose this is good news for fans of his work, but I will be really careful from now on, not to get "fooled" by another clever title.
I am adding this several weeks later: I dd enjoy reading it after all, it had a strange relaxed low-key quality which is so great to see in this crazy world. ( )
  flydodofly | Apr 24, 2013 |
A quiet, enjoyable book. Ms. Dalhousie is a philosopher and editor of a journal on applied ethics, and she spends much time musing and conversing about morality, ethics, and relationships. On first glance, she seems to have little in common with Mr. Smith's other heroine, Precious Ramotswe, but in fact they are very similar after all. Both are strong, independent women who are deeply concerned with issues of what's right and wrong, and with people and relationships. ( )
  FancyHorse | Apr 23, 2013 |
I just didn't get the point of the story. It was lovely and quaint and I did enjoy the fact that it is set in Edinburgh, but there was really nothing much else to it. Now, I have only read [b:The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency|7061|The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency |Alexander McCall Smith|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255582960s/7061.jpg|826298] by McCall Smith and that was quite a while ago. It was enjoyable. [b:The Right Attitude to Rain|15902|The Right Attitude to Rain (Sunday Philosophy Club, #3)|Alexander McCall Smith|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166696106s/15902.jpg|739558] is the third book in the "An Isabel Dalhousie Novel" series McCall Smith has created. Did I miss something by jumping into it at the third book? I don't think so. There was enough information given that I didn't feel lost with the characters or story.

**Spoiler Alert** To me, the only point I could reach is this is a story about the summer of Isabel's 42nd year and she is not a spinster loser. There is still hope for her.**End of Spoilers**

A summer in the life of... does not match up to a day in the life of... (a la [b:Mrs. Dalloway|14942|Mrs. Dalloway|Virginia Woolf|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WTo75I1qL._SL75_.jpg|841320]). ( )
  DawsonOakes | Apr 10, 2013 |
Very enjoyable. This is the only Alexander McCall Smith series I've read and the start wasn't auspicious, mostly because when I picked up the first book I expected a traditional mystery story and didn't get one. I wasn't planning on reading further, especially as I also found Isabel Dalhousie's moralising to be rather tiresome, but by some quirk of fate ended up having a go at the second book, Friends, Lovers, Chocolate and falling for the series.

This is more of the same, but with some very welcome changes in attitude, which I won't go into as I feel as though they would be too spoiler-ish. As usual, some mysterious-ish stuff is going on, but it isn't really the focus and isn't really "solved". This no longer worries me at all, as I enjoy the slow-paced wander through Edinburgh and philosophy. ( )
  Vivl | Apr 5, 2013 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To take an interest in the affairs of others is entirely natural

ISABEL DALHOUSIE - Book 3

Nothing captures the charm of Edinburgh like the bestselling Isabel Dalhousie series of novels featuring the insatiably curious philosopher and woman detective.  Whether investigating a case or a problem of philosophy, the indefatigable Isabel Dalhousie, one of fiction’s most richly developed amateur detectives, is always ready to pursue the answers to all of life’s questions, large and small.

When Mimi, Isabel’s cousin from Dallas, arrives in Edinburgh with her husband, Joe, several confounding situations unfurl. First, Mimi and Joe introduce Isabel to Tom Bruce–a bigwig back home in Texas. The roving eye of Tom’s young fiancée leads Isabel to believe that money may be at the root of her love for Tom. But what, Isabel wonders, is at the root of Tom’s interest in Isabel herself? Then there are the feelings that Isabel has for Jamie, which are certainly hard to ignore. And she mustn’t forget about her niece, Cat, who’s busy falling for a man whom Isabel suspects of being an incorrigible mama’s boy.

Of course, Jamie counsels Isabel to stay out of it all, but there are irresistible philosophical issues at stake–when to tell the truth and when to keep one’s mouth shut, to be precise–and philosophical issues are meat and drink to Isabel Dalhousie, editor of the Review of Applied Ethics. In any case, Isabel is certain of the ethical basis for a little sleuthing now and again– especially when the problems involve matters of the heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:25 -0400)

When friends from Dallas arrive in Edinburgh and introduce Isabel to Tom Bruce, a bigwig at home in Texas, several confounding situations unfurl at once. Tom's young fiancee's roving eye leads Isabel to believe that money may be the root of her love for Tom. But what, Isabel wonders, is the root of the interest Tom begins to show for Isabel herself? And she can't forget about her niece, Cat, who's busy falling for a man whom Isabel suspects of being an incorrigible mama's boy. Of course Grace and Isabel's friend Jamie counsel Isabel to stay out of all of it, but there are irresistible philosophical issues at stake, when to tell the truth and when to keep one's mouth shut.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,599,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible