The Right Attitude to Rain (An Isabel…

The Right Attitude to Rain (An Isabel Dalhousie Mystery) (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Alexander McCall Smith

Member:ChrisSterry
Title:The Right Attitude to Rain (An Isabel Dalhousie Mystery)
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith
Info:Anchor Books (2007), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 276 pages
Collections:Your library, Bedroom 2, Joanie
Rating:*****
Tags:Novel

The Right Attitude to Rain by Alexander McCall Smith (2005)

Apparently this is the third book in the Isabel Dalhousie series. Isabel is a philosopher who edits a journal of applied ethics and is independently well-off. Nothing much seems to happen for most of the book, but Isabel's internal dialog is interesting enough that I didn't mind, until what should have felt like a significant event didn't feel that way. There are different couples or potential couples in different stages of relationships and Isabel spends a lot of time and thought about them and her responsibility or lack thereof to help them.

Isabel promised her father that she would look after Grace, who had worked for him and is now Isabel's housekeeper. Unlike the Dashwoods in Sense and Sensibility, who decide that helping his father's second family is satisfied by a small lump sum payment, Isabel feels compelled to buy an apartment for Grace. This leads to ethical problems for Isabel when the current owner decides to lower the price because she thinks that Isabel and her friend Jamie are a couple. Personally, I was also concerned that Grace would be presented with an apartment that she didn't want.

The library that provided the book put a "Mystery" sticker on the cover. I suppose the previous books may have been mysteries. The only possible mystery is a fire that occurs elsewhere at the end of the story and we never definitely find out whodunit. (I have my suspicions.)

I enjoyed reading a story with an intelligent, considerate woman who overthinks things. ( )
  raizel | Feb 19, 2016 |
In this third installment of the series featuring the Edinburgh philosopher, Isabel Dalhousie’s cousin Mimi arrives with her husband, Joe, from Dallas for a visit. Mimi introduces Isabel to Tom Bruce, a wealthy Texas who has recently become engaged to Angie. But Angie seems much more interested in Isabel’s friend Jamie, who used to date Isabel’s niece, Cat. Meanwhile, Cat seems to be falling for a totally unsuitable young man.

What I really like about this series are Isabel’s philosophical musings, and this one is no exception. The central ethical dilemma seems to be when to keep one’s mouth shut vs when to tell all one knows. Is it interfering to let someone know what you’ve observed? Is it appropriate to voice one’s feelings for someone who is clearly attached to another?

I like the developing relationships in the series, which are slowly forming, as they do in real life, with occasional missteps, tiffs, and make-ups.

Hilary Neville does a fine job performing the audiobook. She has good pacing and I love the way she voices Isabel. However, I didn’t realize I had received an abridged audio until the second disc, and I then abandoned the audio to read the text.
  BookConcierge | Jan 14, 2016 |
The Isabel Dalhousie series never disappoints me (thus far). They are mysteries that aren't exactly mysteries. They're love stories, or philosophical studies, or plain fiction but still have the feel that there will always be something that needs to be "solved". This time Isobel is looking for a flat for her housekeeper and she takes an interest in an American couple who just don't seem "right" to her. And, then, of course, there is Jamie...... ( )
  kp9949 | Jan 12, 2016 |
The Isabel Dalhousie series started off in cozy mystery territory with the first book [book:The Sunday Philosophy Club|15904] which did have a mysterious death to be solved. The second book [book:Friends, Lovers, Chocolate|97884] made the mysteries more domestic and this third book is solidly in romance fiction territory which is normally not my genre. Smith's characters though are great company with the very personable Isabel Dalhousie, her spiritualist housekeeper Grace, her friend/possible bff Jamie, her niece Cat and her deli/cofe workers Eddie & Miranda. Each book is filled with Isabel's observations on life and often has interesting trivia and history about Edinburgh, Scotland or all sorts of topics. So I'm kind of intrigued to see how the rest of the series continues. Plus with #FictionalCharactersThatLoveArvoPärt how can you go wrong ;) ? ( )
  alanteder | Oct 18, 2015 |
How did I miss the mystery part of this novel? More to the point, how was it that I was enjoying the writing style and connecting with Isabel Dalhousie but disliking too much of the book? A few reviewers have classified this book as Romance or Chick Lit; I know little about either genre but maybe that's what I was missing in this novel. I'm ready to wait a long time until I ever pick up another Alexander McCall Smith. Parting is such sweet sweet. ( )
  bsiemens | Sep 26, 2015 |

Alexander McCall Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To take an interest in the affairs of others is entirely natural

ISABEL DALHOUSIE - Book 3

Nothing captures the charm of Edinburgh like the bestselling Isabel Dalhousie series of novels featuring the insatiably curious philosopher and woman detective.  Whether investigating a case or a problem of philosophy, the indefatigable Isabel Dalhousie, one of fiction’s most richly developed amateur detectives, is always ready to pursue the answers to all of life’s questions, large and small.

When Mimi, Isabel’s cousin from Dallas, arrives in Edinburgh with her husband, Joe, several confounding situations unfurl. First, Mimi and Joe introduce Isabel to Tom Bruce–a bigwig back home in Texas. The roving eye of Tom’s young fiancée leads Isabel to believe that money may be at the root of her love for Tom. But what, Isabel wonders, is at the root of Tom’s interest in Isabel herself? Then there are the feelings that Isabel has for Jamie, which are certainly hard to ignore. And she mustn’t forget about her niece, Cat, who’s busy falling for a man whom Isabel suspects of being an incorrigible mama’s boy.

Of course, Jamie counsels Isabel to stay out of it all, but there are irresistible philosophical issues at stake–when to tell the truth and when to keep one’s mouth shut, to be precise–and philosophical issues are meat and drink to Isabel Dalhousie, editor of the Review of Applied Ethics. In any case, Isabel is certain of the ethical basis for a little sleuthing now and again– especially when the problems involve matters of the heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:48 -0400)

When friends from Dallas arrive in Edinburgh and introduce Isabel to Tom Bruce, a bigwig at home in Texas, several confounding situations unfurl at once. Tom's young fiancee's roving eye leads Isabel to believe that money may be the root of her love for Tom. But what, Isabel wonders, is the root of the interest Tom begins to show for Isabel herself? And she can't forget about her niece, Cat, who's busy falling for a man whom Isabel suspects of being an incorrigible mama's boy. Of course Grace and Isabel's friend Jamie counsel Isabel to stay out of all of it, but there are irresistible philosophical issues at stake, when to tell the truth and when to keep one's mouth shut.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,327,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible