The Book of Lost Fragrances by M. J. Rose

The Book of Lost Fragrances

by M. J. Rose

English (41)  Spanish (1)  All (42)
This book kept me completely engrossed and on the edge of my seat and sanity. I loved the historical references, the character development, the psychologicl exploration and the various plots and sub-plots woven together. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
This was a great read, I don't understand the bad reviews. Im obsessed with anything from ancient times, so clearly this was right up my alley.
Its been months since I read it, and the plotline still stuck with me... I would love to smell every last perfume noted in this book! ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
I read this book in kindle format using whisper sync, as part of the 52 Weeks 52 Books online book group this is week 8 for 2014. This is my first by author [a:M J Rose|7925212|M J Rose|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-a7c55399ea455530473b9f9e4da94c40.png] and will not be my last.

[b:The Book of Lost Fragrances|12147341|The Book of Lost Fragrances (Reincarnationist, #4)|M.J. Rose|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1321964828s/12147341.jpg|40786561]

Jac L 'Etoile thought she had left the family business the French perfumery the House of L'Etoile behind until she is drawn back by her brother's disappearance and a dead body. Before her brother Robs disappearance, he had just made a discovery in the family archive which would verify the existence of perfume with the ability to unlock the memories of past lives, created during the time of Cleopatra. Intertwined in this story is the Chinese Mafia and Tibet's Dali Lama.

I loved how the story weaved from the time of Cleopatra to present day Paris to the Paris of the 1700 and 1800 back to present day, to the Chinese occupation of Tibet and outlawing reincarnation. A shard of pottery might hold the key to a scent that could wield the power to shift into the memories of past lives. Think of how certain smells can trigger a memory in your own life of a loved one or event. To take that thought and create a story that encompasses such a span of history is well worth a read. Cleopatra did have perfume factory. In the author's notes, she explains her detailed research on the history of perfume and that comes out in the story she accomplishes weaving fact into fiction to create an almost believable story that a reincarnating fragrance just might exist.

yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
A perfumer and his sister may be heirs to the secret formula of Cleopatra - a mystical scent that enables those who smell it to recall past lives and find their soulmates. If they can figure it out, they want to give the ancient perfume to the Dalai Lama, to strengthen the case for reincarnation. But Chinese gangsters want to stop the gift.

There's the kernel of a fun (if far-fetched) story here. Unfortunately, it doesn't get the chance to shine through the New-Agey claptrap, the superficial 'research,' and the condescending, overly-explanatory style of the writing.

It does have a very pretty cover, which is why I picked it up. But it doesn't hold a candle to Patrick Suskind's 'Perfume.' ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
3.5 Stars

Can a perfume created during Cleopatra's reign hold the key to reincarnation? M.J. Rose's latest thriller, The Book of Lost Fragrances, is centred around this very question. In 21st century New York, author and TV presenter Jac L'Etoile works to discover the origins of famous myths and educate the public as to their less than fantastical source. Across the Atlantic in Paris, Jac's younger brother Robbie is attempting to revive their family's struggling perfume company. When Robbie comes across ancient pottery shards, he thinks he has finally uncovered the origins of a long-held family myth, that an ancestor brought back a book of fragrances from Egypt that contained Cleopatra's own parfume formulas, including one that holds the secret to past lives. Jac, however, believes strongly that the family myth has no basis in fact and dismisses her brother's claims. When Robbie goes missing, however, Jac is forced to further investigate her brother's discovery in the hopes it will lead back to him. Meanwhile, across the globe in Beijing, a young artistic monk hides a secret about his true identity, a secret the Chinese government thought had been suppressed. When the monk is selected to tour Europe with a group of artists, he hopes his secret can finally be revealed.

While Jac and Robbie's story lines seem independent from that of the young monk's, M.J. Rose carefully weaves them together in a logical flow and in such a way as to promote the reader trying to figure out how they will ultimately connect. Although I had no difficulty following the main story lines or characters, my only qualm with the novel, and it isn't a big one, is that I did have some trouble with the story lines of the novel's minor characters, which I feel could have been fleshed out a little more with the inclusion of additional back story. While the story itself is smart, fast-paced and intriguing and the characters interesting, the greatest strength of this novel rests with Rose's lovely descriptive prose, especially when applied to the various scents described in the novel. Although I'm not a fan of perfume, Rose's descriptions left me wishing I could experience the scents for myself.

The Book of Lost Fragrances is the fourth novel in M.J. Rose's popular Reincarnationist series. Although part of a series, this novel can be read as a stand alone.

Note: I received a copy of this book from the publisher as a host for the novel's Historical Fiction Virtual Book Tour. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |

A sweeping and suspenseful tale of secrets, intrigue, and lovers separated by time, all connected through the mystical qualities of a perfume created in the days of Cleopatra--and lost for 2,000 years.

Jac L'Etoile has always been haunted by the past, her memories infused with the exotic scents that she grew up surrounded by as the heir to a storied French perfume company. In order to flee the pain of those remembrances--and of her mother's suicide--she moved to America. Now, fourteen years later she and her brother have inherited the company along with it's financial problems. But when Robbie hints at an earth-shattering discovery in the family archives and then suddenly goes missing--leaving a dead body in his wake--Jac is plunged into a world she thought she'd left behind.

Back in Paris to investigate her brother's disappearance, Jac becomes haunted by the legend the House of L'Etoile has been espousing since 1799. Is there a scent that can unlock the mystery of reincarnation - or is it just another dream infused perfume?

The Book of Lost Fragrances fuses history, passion, and suspense, moving from Cleopatra's Egypt and the terrors of revolutionary France to Tibet's battle with China and the glamour of modern-day Paris. Jac's quest for the ancient perfume someone is willing to kill for becomes the key to understanding her own troubled past.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,399,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible