The Gilly Salt Sisters by Tiffany Baker

The Gilly Salt Sisters

by Tiffany Baker

2011258,418 (3.71)3
    Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (4leschats)
    4leschats: Relationships between sisters which are strained and magic realism aspects.

Prospect is a small, isolated village on Cape Cod. For as long as anyone can remember the fate of the village depended on the salt it produced. Salt always harvested by the Gilly women. Joanna and Claire Gilly both understand the importance of the salt, but could not be further apart in their attitude towards it. Nor could they be any more different as sisters. As Claire marries into the (despised) Turner family (house perched on the top of the hill overlooking the village) and Jo stays on the salt farm (shack resting at the edge of the salt marshes) the history surrounding both the town and the salt starts to unravel. Unspoken truths rise to the surface causing things to go a bit awry. While the world around her is spinning Jo remains stalwart in her belief in the power of the salt.

A little bit of magic, a little bit of love, a family feud and some unexpected turns made this a book I had a difficult time putting down. For fans of Little Giant of Aberdeen Country this second book by Ms. Baker is a must read.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Reminds me of Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan. Good lazy day read. ( )
  amberwench | Jul 8, 2014 |
This book started very slow, but ended with a bang and I'm so glad I stuck wit hit. Another one of those books that has been on my TBR shelf since it came out, March 2012, but I'm always glad to find a gem on the shelf, makes me happy to buy them and let them sit for a while. ( )
  mchwest | May 12, 2013 |
THE GILLY SALT SISTERS by Tiffany Baker is an interesting contemporary/women's fiction set in Prospect, Massachusetts. A tale of family drama,family relationships,salt miners,revenge,forgiveness,and family secrets. A complex tale of magic that is sure to delight readers of fiction who enjoys a bit of magic and lots of drama. The Gilly Sisters may just find the power of the salt,will alter their lives forever. An interesting story from start to finish. It also has a reading guide at the back. Received for an honest review from the publisher.
RATING: 4
HEAT RATING: MILD
REVIEWED BY: AprilR,(Courtesy of My Book Addiction and More) ( )
  MyBookAddiction | May 4, 2013 |
This was an audio "read" for me. I didn't care much for the narrator-mispronunciations, voice inflections that seemed "off"- and it almost made me not care for the book. But the story was great--I wish I had read the book instead. It's about two sisters parting ways and then suddenly coming back together again and trying to make the most of life's double whammies, namely heartache, death, tragic accidents and loneliness. I almost hated to "hear" it end. ( )
  dragonflydee1 | Apr 3, 2013 |
"Fans of Baker's acclaimed The Little Giant of Aberdeen County won't be disappointed with this quirky, complex, and original tale. It is also sure to enchant readers who enjoy Alice Hoffman and other authors of magical realism."
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Nancy Fontaine (Nov 1, 2011)

Though the contrast between familiar, universal conflicts and the forays into the mysteries of the elemental sometimes works against the narrative, the characters and Baker's prose engage
added by 4leschats | editPublishers Weekly (pay site) (Oct 31, 2011)

For Edward
It was the season again for fire in Prospect, a time of cold and ice but also an occasion for rising heat and smoke. A moment for salt and prophecy. . .

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446194239, Hardcover)

The author of the New York Times bestselling The Little Giant of Aberdeen County returns with a magic-tinged tale of dreams, family secrets, and betrayals on a New England salt farm.

In the isolated Cape Cod village of Prospect, the Gilly sisters are as different as can be. Jo, a fierce and quiet loner, is devoted to the mysteries of her family's salt farm, while Claire is popular, pretty, and yearns to flee the salt at any cost. But the Gilly land hides a dark legacy that proves impossible to escape. Although the community half-suspects the Gilly sisters might be witches, it doesn't stop Whit Turner, the town's wealthiest bachelor, from forcing his way into their lives. It's Jo who first steals Whit's heart, but it is Claire--heartbroken over her high school sweetheart--who marries him.

Years later, estranged from her family, Claire finds herself thrust back onto the farm with the last person she would have chosen: her husband's pregnant mistress. Suddenly, alliances change, old loves return, and new battle lines are drawn. What the Gilly sisters learn about each other, the land around them, and the power of the salt, will not only change each of their lives forever, it will also alter Gilly history for good.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:34 -0400)

Two sisters in Cape Cod fight over the town's wealthiest bachelor as they learn about life, love, and family history.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,058,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible