Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves by Bill Willingham

Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves

by Bill Willingham

Other authors: Mark Buckingham (Illustrator), Steve Leialoha (Illustrator), Lee Loughridge (Illustrator), Shawn McManus (Illustrator), Andrew Pepoy (Illustrator)1 more, Daniel Vozzo (Illustrator)

Series: Fables (Vol. 8, Issues 48-51)

This is an outstanding book! It very nearly stands alone from the series; there's enough history woven into it to make the story make sense. But I think having read the previous books makes this one all the richer.

I don't entirely like how Bigby's face is drawn - in a lot of frames, he seems to have forgotten to put in his dentures. But that's the closest to a complaint I have about the art; it's otherwise outstanding. Some of the cover art is breath-taking.

And I do believe I have a massive crush on Mowgli. He's all grown up and terribly appealing in this series. I hope we get to see more of him (and I don't just mean his body, but I won't cry about that either) in the next books. ( )
  hopeevey | May 19, 2018 |
I love this graphic novel series...takes on all our favorite fairy tales with a twist. LOVE it. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
An improvement on the previous volume, though it felt quite indulgent. The Mowgli bits were decent, but everything in the second half felt rushed and wrong. ( )
  amazedemon | Oct 15, 2016 |
This book picks up where the previous one left off, with Mowgli in pursuit of Bigby while Snow White remains banished to the Farm to raise her children in Bigby's absence.

Despite being heavy on the Bigby-Snow story line, this wasn't one of my favorite volumes in the series. Part of that was the long, tedious introduction with Mowgli going about searching for Bigby unsuccessfully among humans and then turning to wolves, where a drawn-out battle 'needs' to be held between Mowgli and the alpha male of the pack. Never having been a huge fan of the gratuitous action sequence, I found this section rather dull and pointless. Some bits of the Cloud Kingdom sequence were also a bit on the lengthy, unnecessary side, but this was less of an issue. On the positive end, I did love the parts dealing with Bigby, Snow, and their litter of children.

This book is slimmer than the other volumes -- even more so than appearances would let on, as the book ends with a complete script to the "Happily Ever After" segment. This isn't really a huge selling point per se, but it is a neat add-on, providing insights to the creative process and entertaining notes on how the illustrations should be, such as: "This is the truest of true love's kisses since the beginning of time. It's every poem ever written and every song ever sung. This is the one panel at which the dream of every female reader of FABLES has come true. Each and every one of them must be made to cry or squeal or swoon like a character in a Jane Austen novel. Don't blow it, Buckingham. We sort of, kind of know where you live."

At the end of the day, the book was still interesting enough that I'm going to pick up the next one in the series, but I'm a little less "full steam ahead" about continuing than I was previously. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Aug 31, 2016 |
Yay! Wolves!!!

One of my favorite characters, Bigby is the focus, but in addition, really good plot development, and yes, a Happily Ever After ending ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |

McManus, ShawnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pepoy, AndrewIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DanielIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jean, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the love of my life, now my beautiful wife, Irma.

— Mark Buckingham
This one is dedicated to Bucky and Irma, of course.

— Bill Willingham
By late November, I reach the small port town of Provideniya.
A tiny naked miracle appears before us!

Collecting Issues #48-51 of writer and creator Bill Willingham's award winning Vertigo series, Wolves also includes newly created maps of Fabletown and the Homelands illustrated by Willingham and as a special bonus, Willingham's complete script to the double-sized issue #50.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,376,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible