Fables : wolves by Bill Willingham

Fables : wolves (edition 2006)

by Bill Willingham

Series: Fables (8)

Member:paulhurtley
Title:Fables : wolves
Authors:Bill Willingham
Info:New York : DC Comics, c2006.

Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves by Bill Willingham

Recently added byangelista, blurble, private library, Urthwild

My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Dec 22, 2013 |
(Beware: some mild spoilers in this review. There really are none, because most of the things I mention you can see coming from miles ahead.)

Mowgli searches for (and finds) Bigby Wolf -- and if you call that a spoiler, you'll need to read a lot more books, since that was utterly predictable. The main part of this book is about what Bigby has to do so he can live with Snow White and his offspring while not breaking the rules of Fabletown. Which leads to the introduction of yet more characters from European Fables -- and these ones were a surprise for me. ("Big And Small", the final story collected in this issue, features more of this newly introduced world.)

And thus we've ended up at the controversial "Israel" part of the story, where Bill Willingham just drops the ball in spectacular fashion by featuring a mind-numbingly simplistic view of that subject. See those three stars I've given this book? I'm struggling with myself to defend that high score, because of the myopic way this politically charged topic is used -- and the saccharine, drawn out crap that passes for the marriage between Bigby and Snow White later on in the book does not help (again, this is not a spoiler). If this book had not featured plenty of kick-ass Cinderella, I might have handed it merely one star.

So now I have to ask myself: do I keep reading? Will "Fables" recover from this ridiculous nonsense? Or will it bring more stories that lack nuance, more violence as revenge? ( )
  Bert.Cielen | Oct 16, 2013 |
Bigby! I missed him especially after learning his tale in [b:Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall|21322|Fables 1001 Nights of Snowfall|Bill Willingham|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327870123s/21322.jpg|3163819]. In the trade I had it had the script for the whole Bigby mission and aftermath. It described the proposal scene as:
They kiss. This the truest of true love's kisses since the beginning of time. It's every poem ever written and every song ever sung. This is the one panel at which the dream of every female reader of FABLES has come true. Each and every one of them must be made to cry or squel or swoon like a character in a Jane Austen novel. Don't blow it Buckingham. We sort of, kind of know where you live.

Also enjoyed seeing Mowgli and Cinderella again. ( )
  renrav | Sep 22, 2013 |
Oh, resolution tpb. This is the one which brings Bigsby (and Ghost) back. And sets Bagira free, because Mowgli accomplished that earlier task, through fire and great schemes of Bigsby not wanting to be found.

I *LOVE* all the scenes with the little kids. And I like that they are being trained up proper by The North Wind, and that they get challenged that until they can make 30 days they can not leave. I love how much Red continues to grow.

I love that Bigsby went on a mission before coming back, and the whole of the conversation between Charming (as Snow's ex-husband who actually cares about the if...) an' Bigsby (as the father of Snow's children) before he leaves about whether there should be some message to give. Which I won't spoil because it was too perfect.

I love how exactly they get around the rule. And I love the whole of the wedding issue. I love all the little new insights into Cinderella.

wanderlustlover | Jul 24, 2013 |

McManus, ShawnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pepoy, AndrewIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DanielIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jean, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the love of my life, now my beautiful wife, Irma.

— Mark Buckingham
This one is dedicated to Bucky and Irma, of course.

— Bill Willingham
By late November, I reach the small port town of Provideniya.
A tiny naked miracle appears before us!

Collecting Issues #48-51 of writer and creator Bill Willingham's award winning Vertigo series, Wolves also includes newly created maps of Fabletown and the Homelands illustrated by Willingham and as a special bonus, Willingham's complete script to the double-sized issue #50.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,333,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible