Fables : wolves by Bill Willingham

Fables : wolves (edition 2006)

by Bill Willingham

Series: Fables (8)

1,219386,537 (4.16)89
Title:Fables : wolves
Authors:Bill Willingham
Info:New York : DC Comics, c2006.

Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves by Bill Willingham

An improvement on the previous volume, though it felt quite indulgent. The Mowgli bits were decent, but everything in the second half felt rushed and wrong. ( )
  amazedemon | Oct 15, 2016 |
This book picks up where the previous one left off, with Mowgli in pursuit of Bigby while Snow White remains banished to the Farm to raise her children in Bigby's absence.

Despite being heavy on the Bigby-Snow story line, this wasn't one of my favorite volumes in the series. Part of that was the long, tedious introduction with Mowgli going about searching for Bigby unsuccessfully among humans and then turning to wolves, where a drawn-out battle 'needs' to be held between Mowgli and the alpha male of the pack. Never having been a huge fan of the gratuitous action sequence, I found this section rather dull and pointless. Some bits of the Cloud Kingdom sequence were also a bit on the lengthy, unnecessary side, but this was less of an issue. On the positive end, I did love the parts dealing with Bigby, Snow, and their litter of children.

This book is slimmer than the other volumes -- even more so than appearances would let on, as the book ends with a complete script to the "Happily Ever After" segment. This isn't really a huge selling point per se, but it is a neat add-on, providing insights to the creative process and entertaining notes on how the illustrations should be, such as: "This is the truest of true love's kisses since the beginning of time. It's every poem ever written and every song ever sung. This is the one panel at which the dream of every female reader of FABLES has come true. Each and every one of them must be made to cry or squeal or swoon like a character in a Jane Austen novel. Don't blow it, Buckingham. We sort of, kind of know where you live."

At the end of the day, the book was still interesting enough that I'm going to pick up the next one in the series, but I'm a little less "full steam ahead" about continuing than I was previously. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Aug 31, 2016 |
Yay! Wolves!!!

One of my favorite characters, Bigby is the focus, but in addition, really good plot development, and yes, a Happily Ever After ending ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
It's not as bad as the previous volume, but this is still tepid stuff. Willingham is now displaying his politics in bright, blazing colors - he literally stops the story dead to go into a pro-Israel rant - and the misogyny present in the Bigby/Snow White relationship has come to the fore. (It's really somewhat distressing, too, because I expected it to be a slightly eye-rolling point of conflict, not the lead-in to their wedding!) Frankly, Willingham needs to step away from the soap operatics and focus on the war storyline; I don't agree with every political comparison he's making, but at least I feel like he knows where he's going. The relationship stuff is weak in comparison. ( )
  saroz | May 17, 2016 |
Mowgli continues his search for Bigby through Russia and the wilderness. Meanwhile, Snow White tries to raise the cubs at the Farm.

Mowgli finds Bigby and convinces him to come back to Fabletown for one last mission. Cinderella has negotiated a treaty with the Cloud Kingdom, so Bigby is able to climb a beanstalk, travel through the clouds, and land right in the Adversary's Empire. He burns down the Sacred Grove, and in thanks Fabletown gives him a valley where he and Snow can live together with their shape-changing cubs. He and Snow reunite and get married. It's all very saccharine...none of it had any tension or stress. Even Bigby's mission to destroy the Adversary's greatest resource felt lackluster. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

McManus, ShawnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pepoy, AndrewIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DanielIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jean, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the love of my life, now my beautiful wife, Irma.

— Mark Buckingham
This one is dedicated to Bucky and Irma, of course.

— Bill Willingham
By late November, I reach the small port town of Provideniya.
A tiny naked miracle appears before us!

Collecting Issues #48-51 of writer and creator Bill Willingham's award winning Vertigo series, Wolves also includes newly created maps of Fabletown and the Homelands illustrated by Willingham and as a special bonus, Willingham's complete script to the double-sized issue #50.… (more)

118 wanted1 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,845,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible