Blood Howl by Robin Saxon

Blood Howl

by Robin Saxon, Alex Kidwell (Author)

319357,052 (3.27)1

Blood Howl: Sanguis Noctis Book One by Robin Saxon and Alex Kidwell is the first book in a two-part set that tells the story of Jed Walker, a mercenary and Redford Reed, werewolf and hapless object of his pursuit.

The action is almost non-stop as Jed tries to figure just who Fil, his client is and what he wants with Redford. While the two of them flee the clutches of Fil and his minions, the attraction and care for each other builds. Saxon and Kidwell bring together two lonely individuals who never understand the depth of their loneliness until they meet each other. The scenes between these two guys are entertaining and sometimes poignant.

Kidwell and Saxon tell the tale of Blood Howl with wit and humor. Jed, in particular, tries to come off as a wisecracking, gun-wielding tough guy. He doesn't have a care in the world except where his next job will take him. Redford, on the other hand, is quiet and somewhat reserved. Much of his life focuses on protecting others from his monthly change into a werewolf. Despite their differences, there's some serious sexual tension between Jed and Redford; it's immediately clear that they care a great deal for each other.

While, Saxon and Kidwell focus much of the attention of Blood Howl on Jed and Redford, there are a couple of interesting secondary characters. David, a fellow mercenary and information broker and Victor, a professor in obscure history are prominent in the sequel, Blood in the Sand: Sanguis Noctis Book One.

Blood Howl is a fun read with characters that immediately engage. Still, there are a few niggling issues. Saxon and Kidwell devote very little to time explaining how Redford came to be a werewolf or why obtaining him is so important to the villain of the piece, Fil. This is perhaps one of the few weaknesses of the story. Why is Redford hiding in his dead grandmother's house? Why can't Fil just retrieve Redford himself? Why does Fil need to hire Jed for such a seemly simple job?

Aside from these plot issues, Blood Howl is an interesting romantic mystery with some shifter flavoring. This is not the usual paranormal shifter romance with alphas and omegas and wolf pack politics. Nevertheless, Jed and Redford's story is worth reading.

Reviewed by Creative Ink Romance Reviews.
  barbmanning | Oct 15, 2017 |
Talk about a different shifter romance! No destined mates, a pack that isn't a real community (and doesn't even play a major role), a layer of mystery around the reasons for being a werewolf, and a number of shooting and explosion scenes that would do an action/adventure movie proud. And on top of all of that, as if it weren't enough, the two main characters fascinated me to no end, not that the supporting characters were any less interesting; they just had less air time, so to speak. Now, imagine someone wanting one of the main characters kidnapped, and hiring the other main character to do the deed, but instead he falls for the kidnappee-to-be, and you're set for this explosive story to sweep you away.

Jed may be a gun for hire, and he certainly does his title proud with all the weaponry he constantly drags around with him, but he has a conscience. Or maybe a code. Either way, he doesn't just accept any assignment, he needs there to be some sort of justice being done. I doubt he'd admit that if you asked him, but it is one of the reasons he steps back from his "task" of killing Redford the moment he discovers the man isn't really a bad guy. The other reason, of course, is that he falls for him, head over heels. Only, he'd kill you before admitting that. Jed is a totally self-sufficient man, or so he likes to believe, and nothing and nobody can touch him. Until he meets Redford, and then all bets are off. Jed's fierce loyalty comes to the fore, and he becomes Redford's greatest fan and staunchest defender. Really, like a modern-day night in shining armor, except with him, it's shiny guns and knives, and the occasional grenade.

Redford is an enigma wrapped in a mystery and served with a side of riddle. On the surface, he is a shy, withdrawn man with a major social skills challenge. Deep-down he believes he is a monster ever since he got bitten by the werewolves who killed his parents when he was five. His grandmother may have taken him in, but she certainly didn't give him a real home or show him any love, teaching him to hide from the world. Once Jed appears in his life, Redford goes on a journey of discovery that has him thawing, opening up, and blossoming into a passionate man and lover. The amazing transformation, however, doesn't touch his core of innocence which both Jed and I found amazing.

With more twists and turns than I believed possible to fit into a book of this length, some extremely hot scenes as Redford discovers the physical pleasure he can give and receive, and an underlying story line that has the potential to continue for several more novels, this book certainly held my attention. I cannot wait to read the next volume!

NOTE: This book was provided by Dreamspinner Press for the purpose of a review on Rainbow Book Reviews. ( )
  SerenaYates | Oct 14, 2017 |
4 stars. I loved Jed! From the other comments, I see this is going to be a sequel (which makes me so excited!); I can't wait to read more of these characters. ( )
  vampkiss | Oct 23, 2013 |
Originally posted on These Pretty Words.

This book is a bit of a tough review for me. There are so many positive things about Blood Howl, but there are also a bunch of negatives. Let's start with something good – Jed and Redford. The authors wrote two very strong characters and made them almost complete opposites. Strong, loner Jed – ex-military, assassin, tough guy extraordinaire, total badass. I loved him. He had a charm and a wit to him that just screamed from the virtual pages and pulled me into the story from the first chapter. And his snark… phenomenal!

Which brings us to Redford. Sweet, shy, quiet, practically afraid of other people… werewolf. I loved him too, though in a very different way. Redford didn't scream from the pages, he ghosted over them. He whispered and shuffled his way across my heart, written in such a way that you couldn't possibly mistake his dialogue and thoughts for any other character. Everything about him was tentative and subtle, even when he was being more aggressive, it was with a reserve one rarely sees. Truly well done!

The bad: Ugh, this is always the part I hate. This book had some major plot holes, an odd pacing, and quite a few loose ends when it concluded. Decisions weren't explained, actions didn't make sense, and secondary characters weren't built in a way that could give them consistent behavior. Honestly, if it wasn't for Redford and Jed, I would have flounced. Those two boys made reading Blood Howl completely worthwhile.

Overall I liked the book. I'm not saying rush out and buy it, but if you've got a gift card and a few spare hours, give it a read. Just don't expect much on the whole shifter/werewolf thing and be prepared to suspend a LOT of disbelief. Jed will give you a cocky little smirk if you do. ( )
  ThesePrettyWords | Sep 23, 2013 |
Just couldn't get into it. Kept trying, totally diligent! Just couldn't finish it. ( )
  sharrow | Sep 21, 2013 |

Robin Saxonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kidwell, AlexAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Gun for hire Jed Walker doesn't figure it for a difficult job-a simple smash and grab retrieval-except his new client doesn't want money or goods. He wants shy, gorgeous Redford Reed, a man who turns Jed's world upside down inside a day. He is in no way prepared to fall hard and fast for his newest assignment. Redford Reed lives his life locked in his grandmother's house, haunted by a terrible curse and watching the world pass him by until Jed shows up, sent by a man who will stop at nothing to claim Redford as his own. Teaming up with Jed is Redford's only chance at survival, but as the violence escalates, so does the tension between them. Even though they each finally have something to live for, now it's going to take all Jed's skill and every bit of courage Redford has just to stay alive.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,415,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible