Run by Patti Larsen

Just finished this book. First thought is 'Wow!'. I've read other peoples reviews of book and they say "it just pulled me in..". That is one description of this story. Frankly it started out, in my opinion, as juvenile with a predictable unfolding. But as it went along, I found I was drawn in and did not expect things to happen as they did. (Don't want to spoil anything for anyone.) ( )
  gac53 | Jan 16, 2017 |
Recommended by a Buzzer and snapped it up for free. Glad I did! This was a thrill ride and a fairly short read.

Main characters are all kids/youngish teens. Will probably draw some comparisons to Maze Hunter, Lord of the Flies and/or Hunger Games, but IMO should be YA with strongest caution. No language or sex, but the violent themes, including cannibalism and disembowelings, are pretty hardcore. IMO, NC17.

Here's why, without spoilers:

Foster kids are being drugged, kidnapped and dropped into remote woods where someone or something is hunting them.

Unlike Hunger Games where violent deaths are implicit, this book contains many violent deaths all described fairly graphically.

Written in episodic or serial style, so there is no resolution. You have to read the next book in the series to continue where the story leaves off.

A good thriller, verging on horror. Suspenseful, fast paced and tautly written. Likable main character to root for.

Definitely a find and a great hook into the series! Next book is worth buying. Glad it was recommended to me. ( )
  angiestahl | Dec 31, 2016 |
BEWARE: this is the first book in the trilogy, and as such, the book does not answer a lot of questions at the end. I am still pondering a lot of question, but most likely I am going to move on to something different.

The beginning of the book actually reminded me of one of my own nightmares that was heavily influenced by Saw. But I digress… Reid, a sixteen year old boy, wakes up in the middle of the night to find himself …in a moving van. He does not remember much from the night before. All he knows is that one moment he goes to sleep at his sister’s new house, and the next – he is in a van, kidnapped.

See more at http://cautiousreader.wordpress.com/ ( )
  CautiousReader | Aug 29, 2013 |
I never thought I could get bored reading a book about a boy running from killers, but what do you know. Things pick up a little once more characters are introduced, but not by much. More running, more hiding, more guessing what it's about. A couple of good moments, although you can see them a mile away. The ending is abrupt, and the last 5% of the e-book is the beginning of the sequel, which seems to be a new and unfortunate trend in e-book publishing. After all this action, I expected at least a little resolution by the end of the first book. Maybe it would read better as a complete series, but then it should have been published that way.

By the way, for a YA book the violence is pretty graphic, so be warned if it's a problem for you. ( )
  MashaK99 | Jun 11, 2013 |

Patti Larsen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,450,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible