Waiting for Sunrise by William Boyd

Waiting for Sunrise (original 2012; edition 2013)

by William Boyd

Member:alexbolding
Title:Waiting for Sunrise
Authors:William Boyd
Info:Bloomsbury Paperbacks (2013), Paperback, 448 pages
Tags:ww1

Waiting for Sunrise by William Boyd (2012)

English (35)  French (1)  All languages (36)
This story gets off to a slow start and is hampered by an over use of language. The pace eventually picks up (or you get used to its plodding) and an inventive plot develops. The cast of characters in entertaining, the red herrings full of fun. All in all this was an enjoyable story. ( )
  nvellis01 | Aug 11, 2014 |
  nvellis01 | Aug 11, 2014 |
Gripping espionage thriller. Boyd weaves a complex & engrossing narrative - great summer read. ( )
  sianpr | Aug 10, 2014 |
A reviewer in a local paper complained the other day that too many writers were not writing because they had to, rather because they had a good story idea they wanted to utilize. William Boyd may belong to the latter group for all I know, but he is one of the leading contemporary story tellers in the company of John Irving and Ian McEwan. and he gives me immense reading pleasure. Waiting for Sunrise is no exception, this is a great yarn, a true page turner with characters I believe in and want to know more about. Rarely do I read a book these days where I dread reaching the end, because I want it to go on indefinitely. Lysander Rief is a budding actor who goes to Vienna in 1914 to seek psychoanalysis for a sexual problem. In Vienna he gets entangled in a spy story that gets him involved in the first world war. There are some easy solutions here and there that weakens the plot, and a few characters that could have been developed further, but overall Waiting for Sunrise is pure pleasure. ( )
  petterw | Jul 28, 2014 |
This was a feverish read, very cleverly done. The ending is wonderfully enigmatic, raising the possibility that everything else in the novel is a lie or a reimagining of the facts to make them sit more comfortably with the protagonist. At face value, it's a WW1 espionage thriller, and a ripping yarn at that. Simultaneously, it's an exploration of the psyche and whether it's ever possible to really locate the truth, because we all have our own version of what the truth is. Wonderful stuff as usual from William Boyd. ( )
  missizicks | Apr 11, 2014 |
A thing is true by first light and alive by noon. (Ernest Hemingway)
It is a clear and dazzling summer's day in Vienna.
Maybe this is what life is like -- we try to see clearly but what we see is never clear and is never going to be.  The more we strive the murkier it becomes.  All we are left with are approximations, nuances, multitudes of plausible explanations. Take your pick. (p. 345)

Vienna, 1913. Lysander Rief, a young English actor in town seeking psychotherapy, is caught up in a feverish affair with a beautiful, enigmatic woman—until she goes to the police to press charges of rape. Only a frenzied getaway plotted by two mysterious British diplomats saves him from trial. But after Lysander returns to a London on the cusp of war, the traumatic ordeal haunts him at every turn. The men who coordinated his escape recruit him to carry out a brutal murder. His lover shows up at a party, ready to resume their liaison. Suddenly plunged into the dangerous theater of wartime intelligence—a murky world of sex, scandal, and spies—Lysander must unravel a secret that threatens Britain's safety.

Wrongly accused of rape, Lysander Rief, a young English actor, finds his life taking a dangerous turn when the men who help him escape a conviction recruit him for a lethal mission that leads him to a traitor who is linked to his family.

131 wanted7 pay4 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible