Falconer by John Cheever

Falconer (1977)

by John Cheever

Totally at a loss with this novel. Just cannot connect to the protagonist, a professor? and drug addict who has murdered his brother. It is all very improbable, illogical, inconsistent and difficult to relate to. Gave up halfway. ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |
Falconer, the prison where Farragut is sent to serve his sentence is the rather unappealing setting for this tale. Convicted, perhaps unjustly, for the murder of his brother, Farragut tries to make the best of his bad circumstances sharing a neglected wing of the prison with a motley crew of fellow inmates.
Farragut is well educated and so at least secures an easy assignment as a clerk, but the boredom of his incarceration is relieved only temporarily when he strikes up a friendship with a young looking man, a relationship that soon becomes intimate, the two declaring their love for each other; but that is not the limit of Farragut's good fortune.

While Falconer is an intelligent and perceptive novel I found it hard to become involved, mainly I suspect because the characters were hard to identify with, and certainly difficult to warm to. ( )
  presto | Dec 21, 2016 |
I read it because I'm a big fan of Cheever's short stories. I don't think on the evidence of this book that he's as good a novelist.
It's basically a prison story and, as an account of prison life, it's very well written. However, despite the flashbacks to the main character's life before prison, it was hard to engage in him as a fully drawn character and it was not made clear exactly why he committed the crime that put him in prison. ( )
  stephengoldenberg | Apr 6, 2016 |
Hard to remember, but the fact that I remember that I read it has to count for something! I do remember being impressed. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Ezekiel Farragut, convicted of killing his brother, journeys to Falconer prison where he meets his fellow prisoners such as Chicken and the Cuckold, endures hostile guards and a methadone addiction, and has a love affair with a fellow prisoner.

After my book club read The Night Swimmer last year, which had several quotes from John Cheever's works and notebooks, my group wanted to read one of John Cheever's novels, and this was our choice. I'm not really sure what I expected, but this wasn't quite it. Cheever can certainly craft a sentence, but I found the story and the characters mostly bleak and felt like I was missing the point at least half the time. Was there a point? I'd be hard pressed to describe a plot. I'm sure that if I were still in school, a teacher could have teased out the symbolism of confinement and imprisonment versus freedom, either of the body or the soul. But I couldn't unless I were to read it again, and I'm afraid I really wasn't captured enough myself to be so inclined. ( )
  bell7 | Jun 18, 2015 |

Homes, A.M.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nenadál, Radoslavsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pihlajamaa, HeimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Storm, JannickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This book takes the style Cheever perfected in his New Yorker days, and stretches it out into a fluid masterpiece.

Stunning and brutally powerful, Falconer tells the story of a man named Farragut, his crime and punishment, and his struggle to remain a man in a universe bent on beating him back into childhood. Only John Cheever could deliver these grand themes with the irony, unforced eloquence, and exhilarating humor that make Falconer such a triumphant work of the moral imagination.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:32 -0400)

In a nightmarish prison a convict named Farragut struggles to remain a man. Out of Farragut's suffering and astonishing salvation, Cheever crafted his most powerful work of fiction.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,505,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible