Anything by Michael Baron

Anything

by Michael Baron

Only two complaints with this book really: 1.) the ending felt a bit rushed (hence four instead of five stars) and 2.) the ending was a bit predictable. Ordinarily a predictable ending wouldn't bother me - this is the romance genre, afterall, where formula and predictability reign supreme. But there was another possibility in this story that actually felt a bit more natural and right for it than the formula one did. I think that's why the formulaic ending wasn't as satisfying to me. ( )
  TnTexas | Mar 29, 2013 |
Review posted 11/16/2011 at Owl Tell You About It.

I LOVED this book. Yes, it's compared to Nicholas Sparks (who I've actually never read), and it could be a Hallmark movie, but I don't care. It was still amazing. Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic. There's nothing quite like an extraordinary love story to get me excited. I've already given my copy to my mother so she can read it.

In his interview, Michael said that his books are about his characters, and I can't agree more. I got so pumped when I read that answer because I love character-driven novels. Ken is a wonderful protagonist. He has such a great voice and he so romantic. It's obvious within the first few pages that he's madly in love with Melissa and that she is the center of his universe. He really would do anything for her. Melissa was a little more difficult to connect with. There was a sort of distance to her character, but it mostly had to do with the fact that she's shown through Ken's eyes. I also really loved Kate. She won me over pretty quickly.

One thing that makes this book really work is how the magical aspects are incorporated. It's not cheesy. It's mysterious. The magic doesn't make a big deal of itself. It just is. There are never any answers as to how it works, but that's perfect for the tone of this book. If there were explanations it would be too hokey. As it is, it actually comes off as believable. There is an "all things are possible" feeling, but it doesn't overwhelm the story. I also love all the mystery surrounding Stephon.

I can't say too much more without ruining the story. I'll just say that if you're into "love conquers all" type of books, than you should pick this one up. It's a very quick read. It will grab you pretty quickly, and then you'll have a hard time putting it down. It's very well done and comes highly recommended from me. I'll be reading the rest of Michael's books, as well.

Read an interview with Michael Baron.

This book was provided by the publisher for review. I did not receive any payment in exchange for the review nor was I obligated to write a positive one. All opinions expressed here are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, the book's publisher and publicist or the readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. ( )
  LauraAshlee | Jan 23, 2013 |
ANYTHING by Michael Baron
Published by The Story Plant
Print ISBN-13: 978-1-61188-021-2
EBook ISBN-13:- 978-1-61188-022-9
At the request of the publisher, a PDF was sent at no cost to me, for my honest opinion.

Synopsis (from back of book): With Anything, Michael Baron again draws readers into a world of deep emotion, compelling relationships, and heartfelt humor, and this time he adds a touch of fantasy. Ken and Melissa are at the dawn of a magnificent life together. A passionate romance has led them to the doorstep of marriage. While searching for the perfect wedding present for Melissa, Ken stumbles into a mysterious shop. There, he is given an extraordinary opportunity - to look in on Melissa when she was a girl. Ken has always wished he could have known Melissa from the day she was born and this seems like an incredible blessing.
Until he discovers a terrible secret in Melissa's past, one so awful she has found it impossible to mention to him.

Now Ken has another extraordinary opportunity. He can go back in time and change the horrible event that has left an indelible mark on Melissa. He can free her of this burden - but doing so could change things so completely that they might never meet.

Ken has repeatedly told Melissa that he would do anything for her. But would he truly do anything?

My Thoughts and Opinion: I was introduced to this author back in December of 2009 when I read and reviewed his novel, Crossing The Bridge, and instantly became a fan. Since that time, I have read the majority of his books and have yet to be disappointed. Matter of fact, his books are like a fine wine, they seem to get better with time. I was a bit skeptical when asked to review Anything, especially after reading his last book Spinning, which I rated 5/5. Could he do it again?

This novel had all the "Michael Baron elements" that first grabbed me, but then it also had a slight spin that had this reader wondering about once the last word was read (do not want to include spoilers). Mr. Baron's tender, masterful and descriptive writing style allows the reader to be transported and become part of the story line. The characters come to life with the ability not to just read their emotions but actually feel and experience them. The vivid descriptions of the scenes provides the reader the ability to create their own life like story line that carries the reader side by side with the characters, like a mind's movie.

As for the premise. Haven't we all said at one time or another these words, I would do anything for (fill in the blank)? But would we? At what cost? Not only is this book poignant, emotional, with a little suspense, and even a bit of fantasy but it is also thought provoking long after the book has ended and the reader is sitting there and now wondering, Would I do anything? Just like a perfect performance by a concert pianist, I say to Mr. Baron, BRAVO!!!!!!

My Rating: 5 ( )
  CMash | Apr 15, 2012 |
Anything

Ken and Melissa had the perfect life. They loved each other tremendously. Ken loved Melissa so much, that he wanted to know everything about her. With the help of an out of the way Jewery shop, a mysterious shopkeeper and a little magic, Ken gets what he wished for. He just forgot one thing, be careful what you wish for.

My first impressions of Anything was, boy this book is wordy. Whether or not such a thing could be said about a book or not, this book was just that wordy. That being said, It was an amazing love story. The storyline was interesting and unexpected. Written from the perspective of the male. Readers get to see another side of love and relationships. Michael Baron leads the reader on an incredible journey. This is a must read for anyone looking for a book about pure Romance.

. ( )
  ToniWI | Oct 18, 2011 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,061,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible