Cat's Claw by Susan Wittig Albert

Another winner by SWA and I noticed I'm a couple behind so off to read the others! ( )
  mchwest | Dec 27, 2015 |
Not as good as some of the other books. Intense at times and slow at others and kind of week at the end so seemed a bit inconsistent. ( )
  hklibrarian | Jul 25, 2014 |
One of my favorite mystery series. Love this one because we got to see "Smart Cookie" at her best. ( )
  dragonflydee1 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Sheila Dawson features in this Pecan Springs mystery, a little less colorful than others in the series ( )
  pennykaplan | Feb 14, 2013 |
I love the China Bayles series. i would have to say when pressed that it's one of my favourite mystery series. And now Ms. Albert is highlighting different Pecan Springs characters in some of her books. This is the 20 book in this series. Yes, we still have China, and a little bit of Ruby, but the main character in this book is Sharp Cookie, Sheia Dawson, Pecan Springs' Police Chief. It is refreshing to have a different viewpoint and a different narrator. And I've always like Sheila in this series, but i did miss Ruby. I know though that she will be back in future books. Ms. Albert is a master character creator, and her small-town Texas setting is just perfect. That along with the herb and food tidbits that come out in the book, make this series a winner for me. In this book, Sheila finds herself investigating a suicide which doesn't appear to be a suicide and as she and her force investigate they find out all kinds of terrible secrets that could throw the whole town into an uproar if they were found out. I did know who the killer was before the end of the book, but that did not spoil the book for me. Keep China coming Ms. Albert. I can't wait for the next one. ( )
  Romonko | Apr 13, 2012 |
For Bill, always and ever partner, lover, husband, best friend
Four members of the Texas Star Quilting Club, armed with needles, thread, thimbles, and scissors, were seated on either side of the wooden quilting frame set up in Ethel Wauer's dining room at 1113 Pecan Street.

Police Chief Sheila Dawson believes the death of Pecan Spring's computer guru, Larry Kirk, to be a suicide, perhaps triggered by his painful divorce. Further investigation reveals that Kirk's death wasn't self-inflicted. And the truth is reinforced by her friend China Bayles' news-Larry recently asked her for legal advice in regards to a stalker.

As a police chief in a male-dominated force, Sheila meets many challenges, especially when her theories rock the boat in high profile cases like that of George Timms. He was caught breaking into Larry's computer shop to steal his own computer back because of dangerous personal information it contained. Now that Larry is dead, she's sure it's connected to the burglary. And she's also sure she'll get plenty of resistance on her assessment...

Timms's time to turn himself in to the police comes and goes, and he's nowhere to be found. In her investigation, Sheila uncovers secrets, terrible secrets that would drive anyone to kill. So who then? It's up to Sheila to prove she's got what it takes to hunt down the predator that's loose on the streets of Pecan Springs...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:58 -0400)

"Sheila Dawson has made history as the first female police chief in Pecan Springs, Texas. She's also cracked many a mystery in collaboration with local sleuth China Bayles--that's why everyone thinks she's such a smart cookie. Now, Sheila puts those smarts to work, sifting through secrets to find a killer on the prowl... Larry Kirk, Pecan Springs' computer guru, has been shot dead in his kitchen. At first Police Chief Sheila Dawson believes it to be suicide, perhaps triggered by his painful divorce. Further investigation reveals that Kirk's death wasn't self-inflicted. And the truth is reinforced by her friend China Bayles' news--Larry recently asked her for legal advice in regards to a stalker. As a police chief in a male-dominated force, Sheila meets many challenges, especially when her theories rock the boat in high-profile cases like that of George Timms. He was caught breaking into Larry's computer shop to steal his own computer back because of dangerous personal information it contained. Now that Larry is dead, she's sure it's connected to the burglary. And she's also sure she'll get plenty of resistance on her assessment... Timms' time to turn himself in to the police comes and goes, and he's nowhere to be found. In her investigation, Sheila uncovers secrets, terrible secrets that would drive anyone to kill. So who then? It's up to Sheila to prove she's got what it takes to hunt down the predator that's loose on the streets of Pecan Springs.."--… (more)

Susan Wittig Albert is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,733,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible