The Orphan: A Cinderella Story from Greece…

The Orphan: A Cinderella Story from Greece

by Anthony Manna

In my opinion, this is a great twist on a classic book. Orphan is closely related to the fairytale Cinderella, and I think because of this it has many of the same positive traits. First, the characters are believable, and certainly well-deveoped. The characters are developed with such realistic traits, that I found it impossible not to like this book.

Second, I also liked the plot. It brings the reader just the right amount of suspension and tension that they want to keep flipping the pages. The plot keeps a steady pace, and brings the conflict the orphan experiences not too soon, yet not too late.

The last couple of reasons I found this an enjoyable read was because the illustrations matched the written text, they kind of had a dull appearance, which gave it a mythological feel. The book pushes readers to think about tough issues and broadens perspectives, and this is the main message of this book. It is telling the reader that sometimes households hold different kind of families, it is telling them that people don't always get treated as nicely as they should, yet it should never stop you from pursuing your goal, which is exactly what The Orphan did. ( )
  Skaide1 | Dec 7, 2014 |
This magical retelling of the beloved folktale of Cinderella is captured through the watercolor paintings throughout the story. This version of Cinderella uses nature to guide the orphan. I think that children will enjoy this book just as much as I did. ( )
  kwolinski | Nov 30, 2014 |
Genre: Fairy Tales
Audience: Pre K - 2
This is a Cinderella story that is based in Greece. I tried to look for examples of Greece but found few. It is very similar to the original Cinderella story with the magic slipper, but there are some differences such as her mother plays the part of the fairy godmother, Nature gives her magic clothes and there is a time limit that she needs to adhere to. The celebration also takes place in a church rather than a palace. ( )
  ShantiR | Feb 25, 2014 |
This was a very interesting take on the traditional Cinderella story that I know. I learned that in Greek culture an orphan is referred to as a child who has lost their mother. In this story her mother had passed away and her father remarried the wicked step mother as we all know. The orphan one night ran to her mothers grave and begged her for help when she returned back to the house mother nature, the moon and child like angels blessed her. Like we know the prince called not a ball in this retelling but a church service that the whole town attends. The prince falls madly in love with her but she leaves before he could talk to her, so when he calls the next service he lays a mixture of honey and wax outside the door in order to trap his run away love but she escapes leaving just one shoe. The prince searches all over town to see who it fits when he comes to the orphan and when the shoe fits he married her and they lived happily ever after.

Growing up I was not the little girl that was obsessed with the princess' I much rather preferred Mulan but I do remember the traditional Cinderella. I enjoyed the Greek take on the the story and I loved that the Orphan's fairy god mother was actually the spirit of her mother. It showed readers that she was always watching over her daughter and keeping her safe. The overall idea of this fairy talk is to believe that good will come even in the hardest of times. The Orphan never gave up hope even when her wicked step mother was counting the drops of water she was aloud to drink and in the end she became a princess. ( )
  Kbenis1 | Dec 7, 2013 |
A different version of Cinderella story with evil stepmother who counts every drop of water she drinks. Instead of getting help from animals, she gets help from her mom and mother nature. ( )
  nataliaanishchenko | Dec 5, 2013 |

Once upon a time in Greece, fate left a young girl an orphan. Her stepmother was so hateful that she counted every drop of water the orphan drank! But with the help of Nature's blessings, the orphan was showered with gifts: brilliance from the Sun, beauty from the Moon, gracefulness from the Dawn—and even a tiny pair of blue shoes from the Sea. When the prince comes to visit their village, he only has eyes for the mysterious beauty. Children will love this fanciful folk retelling of the Cinderella story, accompanied by luminous watercolor illustrations by Giselle Potter.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:39 -0400)

In this variation on the Cinderella story set in Greece, a girl mistreated by her stepmother and stepsisters manages to captivate the prince, with help from Mother Nature and her children.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,506,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible