The Orphan: A Cinderella Story from Greece…

The Orphan: A Cinderella Story from Greece

by Anthony Manna

Genre: Fairy Tales
Audience: Pre K - 2
This is a Cinderella story that is based in Greece. I tried to look for examples of Greece but found few. It is very similar to the original Cinderella story with the magic slipper, but there are some differences such as her mother plays the part of the fairy godmother, Nature gives her magic clothes and there is a time limit that she needs to adhere to. The celebration also takes place in a church rather than a palace. ( )
  ShantiR | Feb 25, 2014 |
This was a very interesting take on the traditional Cinderella story that I know. I learned that in Greek culture an orphan is referred to as a child who has lost their mother. In this story her mother had passed away and her father remarried the wicked step mother as we all know. The orphan one night ran to her mothers grave and begged her for help when she returned back to the house mother nature, the moon and child like angels blessed her. Like we know the prince called not a ball in this retelling but a church service that the whole town attends. The prince falls madly in love with her but she leaves before he could talk to her, so when he calls the next service he lays a mixture of honey and wax outside the door in order to trap his run away love but she escapes leaving just one shoe. The prince searches all over town to see who it fits when he comes to the orphan and when the shoe fits he married her and they lived happily ever after.

Growing up I was not the little girl that was obsessed with the princess' I much rather preferred Mulan but I do remember the traditional Cinderella. I enjoyed the Greek take on the the story and I loved that the Orphan's fairy god mother was actually the spirit of her mother. It showed readers that she was always watching over her daughter and keeping her safe. The overall idea of this fairy talk is to believe that good will come even in the hardest of times. The Orphan never gave up hope even when her wicked step mother was counting the drops of water she was aloud to drink and in the end she became a princess. ( )
  Kbenis1 | Dec 7, 2013 |
A different version of Cinderella story with evil stepmother who counts every drop of water she drinks. Instead of getting help from animals, she gets help from her mom and mother nature. ( )
  nataliaanishchenko | Dec 5, 2013 |
This is a beautiful yet a creepy Cinderella story. In this story the Cinderella is from Greece, her mom dies and she is left with an evil and hateful stepmother who makes her life as miserable as possible - counting the drops of water she drips. The interesting twist to this story is that she is talking to her dead mother who consoles her. ( )
  lianaanishchenko | Dec 3, 2013 |
The main idea of this book is to retell the story of Cinderella as the tale of an orphan from Greece whose mother speaks from the grave and gives her courage and beautiful gifts.
I enjoyed this book for many reasons. I really enjoyed the incorporation of Cinderella's mother into the story. In other stories about Cinderella, you hear about the mother briefly in the beginning and then the story focuses on the awful stepmother. This retelling includes the mother as a prominent, kind character. She is the "fairy godmother" for the orphan! She encourages the orphan and guides her throughout the story, even though she is dead. For example, she tells the orphan, "Go, my child, go to good, with all my blessings, go! Your sorrow weighs upon my heart, your pain, it wounds me so." I like this incorporation of the mother/daughter relationship because I think it will be comforting to children, especially those who may have lost their mother.
I also liked this book because of the beautiful language and personification used in the narration. For example, one page reads, "The Sun gave her brilliance; the Moon, beauty; the Dawn bestowed gracefulness...the Morning Star let her wear the Evening Star as a wreath; the Meadows gave her three beautiful dresses, and the Sea, a pair of delicate blue shoes to fit her tiny feet." I found this type of language quite beautiful and interesting. I loved that "Mother Nature and her children" were the ones giving Cinderella their gifts. It makes the story that much more rich and places it more deeply within the traditional literature genre, in my opinion. ( )
  MichelleNappi | Nov 4, 2013 |

Once upon a time in Greece, fate left a young girl an orphan. Her stepmother was so hateful that she counted every drop of water the orphan drank! But with the help of Nature's blessings, the orphan was showered with gifts: brilliance from the Sun, beauty from the Moon, gracefulness from the Dawn—and even a tiny pair of blue shoes from the Sea. When the prince comes to visit their village, he only has eyes for the mysterious beauty. Children will love this fanciful folk retelling of the Cinderella story, accompanied by luminous watercolor illustrations by Giselle Potter.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:39 -0400)

In this variation on the Cinderella story set in Greece, a girl mistreated by her stepmother and stepsisters manages to captivate the prince, with help from Mother Nature and her children.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,607,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible