The Orphan: A Cinderella Story from Greece…

The Orphan: A Cinderella Story from Greece

by Anthony Manna

I always enjoy a story of Cinderella. I didn't care too much for the illustrations, I thought the girls looked weird, but the story was very cute. I like the different take of the popular story. I think this would be used well in comparing the different fairy tales of different cultures with the more famous story. i would have this in my library because I enjoyed the story.
  kannefarmer | Dec 5, 2016 |
I liked this book especially as a multi cultural book. The plot was very well done overall. The author makes the plot suspenseful and enjoyable to read. It follows typical traditional literal style of the simple plot and few characters. Additional to the plot, I found that the illustrations enhanced the story greatly. They depict the words very well in a way that children can more easily comprehend. The story can be slightly confusing and children tend to anticipate what will happen based on their prior knowledge of Cinderella stories, so having these detailed pictures is helpful for understanding content. For example when Cinderella's moms ghost gives her the dress and shoes, this is different than the American version. Having the pictures helps to keep the story clear. The main idea of this story is to entertain. ( )
  slee74 | Oct 20, 2016 |
I liked this story because it showed a different perspective of a classic fairy tale in a different country. As a young boy, I never really read fairy tales, including Cinderella. Still, I had a general idea of the way that Cinderella happened. In this Greek version, the main character was not considered a princess but instead was just a normal girl. This makes it relatable to many young girls who would read this. Also, coming from Greece, the story opens students around the world into what types of fairy tales come from this country. It's a good way to get students a bit more familiar with other cultures and traditions while still being interesting to children. ( )
  dschae7 | Oct 20, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book for many reasons, the main message was that a mothers love can help children come over anything. The plot was easy to follow and I really enjoyed how instead of a fairy godmother the magic in the story came from Cinderella's mother. The pictures were also so beautiful, there was so much detail that made the pictures jump off of the page and showed the reader the wonderful countryside of Greece. ( )
  mlanni1 | Oct 14, 2016 |
The Orphan is a classic retelling of a Greek fairy tale that is very similar to the classic Cinderella story. The book carries a simple message about good triumphing over evil as the orphan gets to marry the prince after her evil stepmother and stepsisters mistreated her. The book provides an enjoyable yet simple story that has been told many times over. I enjoyed the book because it allowed me to hear another cultures rendition of the classic fairy tale and finding the many changes that exist between the two stories. One example of the differences between the two stories is that in the classic Cinderella story, Cinderella is headed to a grand ball being held in the princes honor; where as in The orphan the main character is headed to church where the prince will be attending service. Another difference is in the way the main characters receive there clothes, Cinderella receives her clothes form her fairy god mother, while the orphan gets her clothes from mother earth. Another thing that I quite enjoyed about this book were the illustrations. the illustrations represented a simplified art style reminiscent of the Greek tradition. The illustrations do a wonderful job of showing the audience what life in Greece was like during the time the fairy tale was created. the illustrations magnificently portray the clothes that the Greeks may have worn during that time period and showed off some of the traditional buildings that would have existed during the time will still depicting the events of the story. ( )
  tbaker13 | Sep 29, 2016 |

Once upon a time in Greece, fate left a young girl an orphan. Her stepmother was so hateful that she counted every drop of water the orphan drank! But with the help of Nature's blessings, the orphan was showered with gifts: brilliance from the Sun, beauty from the Moon, gracefulness from the Dawn—and even a tiny pair of blue shoes from the Sea. When the prince comes to visit their village, he only has eyes for the mysterious beauty. Children will love this fanciful folk retelling of the Cinderella story, accompanied by luminous watercolor illustrations by Giselle Potter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:03 -0400)

In this variation on the Cinderella story set in Greece, a girl mistreated by her stepmother and stepsisters manages to captivate the prince, with help from Mother Nature and her children.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,922,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible