Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble,…

Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble, Book 4)

by Richard L. Mabry

Originally published on my blog.

I was very excited when I heard there was another book in the Prescription for Trouble series coming out. Granted, I didn't manage to read the first two books yet, but I was still excited.

I have to say I liked this book better than the third book, Diagnosis Death. I think it was probably because it was a bit different than what I read before. The idea that there's a magic drug that can cure a lethal virus was brilliant. I was expecting the secondary effects, what I didn't expect was the way the characters out what the drug did and how it did that. I liked that. I also liked how Mr. Mabry explained certain medical terms and made them understandable for someone with little or no medical training.

I also liked the characters. Sara was a very strong woman, one who has been through a lot of pain, but managed to live through it. She's also dedicated to her work and trying all she can to save her patients. Rip was an interesting character. He's a very good friend and a good doctor. He's the kind of guy you can depend on.

There are other characters in this book that I loved, but I'll let you judge them as you see fit.

I can't wait for other books from this author. I'm going to read the other books in the series very soon. ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
As a pharmacist, I stayed up until 4 am to finish this book. I loved the way Dr. Goodman figured out the mechanism of action of Jandramycin. Once I knew the mechanism I guessed correctly at the class of drugs that would be used as an anecdote. This was the most exciting pharmaceutical thriller I have ever read. I think it is definitely helpful to be a pharmacist or someone in the pharmaceutical industry to be able to get all the nuances but I think anyone in the medical profession esp interested in infectious disease will love it. Dr. Mabry even starts out with the realistic irritation by Dr. Wolfe that he isn't as respected because he is a PharmD. I think the introduction of characters leaves definite openings for further books in this series. Loved it. ( )
  rxtheresa | Oct 31, 2015 |
Title: Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble #4)
Author: Richard Mabry
Pages: 293
Year: 2011
Publisher: Abingdon Press
I’m a big fan of Richard Mabry’s medical suspense books. This last offering in the Prescription for Trouble Series and it doesn’t disappoint. The story is set on the familiar Southwestern Medical Center campus in Texas as in prior books.
Sara Miles has a young teenage patient who will die if she doesn’t receive a new experimental drug. This drug is the only one that has been effective against a certain strain of bacteria. The only problem is her ex-husband is the doctor in charge of the experimental drug study and she must contact him to get the drug. They didn’t divorce on the friendliest terms after the death of their infant son. But Sara puts the interest of her patient first, as all doctors should, and makes the call. Her patient is admitted to the study, receives the drug and soon afterward is improving and eventually sent home. However, about a month later, the same teenager presents with paralysis. Soon it is discovered some of the other patients who had received the experimental drug also are beginning to present with a variety of serious health problems. Could these various ailments be related to this one experimental drug?
Sara and another infectious disease doctor, who works for her ex-husband, begin to try and find out what is going on with their patients. Soon two other doctors and a lawyer who practices medicine also join the search. At every turn, they meet a roadblock and are unable to find out any information. According to Sara’s ex-husband, Dr. Ingersoll, there are no adverse effects and his drug is 100% effective in curing this particular bacteria strain. The company sponsoring the drug also refuses to give out any information as the drug hasn’t met FDA approval and is experimental. Is there more going on at the drug company than they are willing to admit? Sara and her group’s questions arouse someone’s anger and attempts are made on some members of the group’s lives. How far will the group go before their fear causes them to stop searching? Can they find out what causes the drug to react so within certain peoples’ systems? Is Dr. Ingersoll involved in the cover-up?
As with all his stories, Richard Mabry draws his readers in from the get-go and never lets them go. The pages will turn quickly as readers speed toward the conclusion. There were some surprises and twists in the plot that kept me on my toes. This is a well-written, interesting and exciting series that I highly recommend. I’m looking forward to Richard’s next book due to be released in the fall of 2013. Don’t miss out on exciting afternoon of reading these intriguing and suspenseful stories!
My rating is 4 stars.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Nov 9, 2013 |
I received a copy of this book free of charge from NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

I love medical mysteries, so when I saw this book listed on NetGalley I knew I had to read it. I wasn't aware at that time that this was the fourth book in a series (Prescription for Trouble) but luckily it can be read as a stand alone as well.

From Goodreads: "What happens when the race to stop a lethal bacteria becomes a race to stop a killer?"

That sentence alone was enough to interest me in this book! Intriguing, no? I am very happy to say that Dr. Richard Mabry did not disappoint! This is a very fast paced medical mystery, with characters who you can relate to and care about. The author keeps you guessing until the end, trying to figure out who is involved and who isn't in this globe spanning conspiracy.

The subject matter was very interesting as you hear all the time about drug companies putting so much money into developing new drugs in the cut throat industry of pharmaceutical research. One of the reasons I really enjoyed reading this thriller is because you can actually imagine this scenario occurring in real life, and that is definitely scary!!

The book moved along at a quick pace and there was good character growth, especially in the female MC, Dr. Sara Miles, who learns to trust again after a bitter divorce and the loss of a child, and Dr. John Ramsey, who finally starts to move on after the death of his wife. There were a few side plots that I think the book could have done without as they didn't really add anything to the story, but nothing that detracted from my ability to enjoy the book. I liked the Christian tone of the book as well.

All in all, I thought this was a very interesting book, and I look forward to going back and reading the first three books in the series :D ( )
  jwitt33 | Jan 26, 2012 |
2.5 Stars/Fiction; Suspense

The fourth book in the Prescription for Trouble series, this book left me with more questions than answers.

The main story idea was good. One doctor who has developed an antiobiotic against a deadly virus and two additional doctors trying to identify what is causing the long term side effects in their patients once they have been given the experimental drug during study trials. That part of the book made for an interesting read and would warrant three out of five stars from me. I liked the suspense of not knowing who was 'behind the scenes' putting everything in motion and also trying to figure out how the doctors were going to connect all the dots.

Notice the lack of names there? It's because sadly, there were so many characters that none of them made enough impact for me to remember.

All the 'side stories' that were introduced throughout the book were enough to make me want to throw it across the room. There were numerous parts of the story that were disjointed and made no sense with the overall plot. Crying babies, talking dead people. Really? I can honestly say that I never did understand what Dr. Ramsey's role was in the story. His character seemed like an afterthought that Mabry used to try and tie some of the fragmented information together. The overall character development was flat and none of them overly likeable. I never felt a connection with them or between them, though the author tried hard to make it work.

The only details that were in abundance were the medical terms used in relation to the patients. Were I someone who knew that medical terminology, I might have enjoyed the story better, but as it were they seemed highly overused. I found myself skimming over those sections when I get tired of looking them up.

The middle of the book was slow and at some point, maybe two-thirds of the way in, I lost interest. Needless to say, I forged my way through anyway hoping for some grand finale. Without spoiling it, I will just say that it was a mediocre conclusion at best and ended with little explanation for some of the incidences that happened early in the story. Perhaps it might be a story better understood the second time through, but I did not care enough for it to want to read it again.

***
As a side note, it ticks me off when authors write scenes in their books that involve what they call 'automatic' guns. Unless a person (or character, for that matter) is of a military background, a spy or an international drug smuggler, to whom access to an automatic weapon is probable; the average person (in this case, Dr. Ingersoll) would not/could not possess the said 'automatic pistol' NOR would he be capable of shooting a single round with it, had it actually been an automatic. Correctly identified, the gun used is semi-automatic.

Regardless of their personal beliefs, if authors are going to incoporate the use of handguns into their stories they should at least do their homework. ( )
  showmegirl | Oct 28, 2011 |

"Dr. Sara Miles' teenage patient is on the brink of death from an overwhelming, highly resistant infection with Staph Luciferus, known to doctors as ''the killer.'' Only an experimental antibiotic, developed and administered by Sara's ex-husband can save the girl's life. But potentially lethal effects from the drug send Sara and her colleague, Dr. Rip Pearson, on a hunt for hidden critical data that will let them reverse the effects before it's too late. What is the missing puzzle piece? And who is hiding it?"--P. [2] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,927,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible