In Remembrance of Us by A. J. Rose

In Remembrance of Us

by A. J. Rose

I didn't really buy Ryan as the injured party here. He cheated, told his boyfriend he loved him and would leave Tom, all because Tom didn't fawn all over him? And because he fawned too much over Tom? Take some responsibility for your actions and decisions, Ryan. I felt as though Tom was slowly turned into the bad guy here (unintentionally or not) and I really dislike anyone trying to justify infidelity by making it about someone else's flaws.

I think the story needed to be longer and the rift between the men explored in more depth in order to stop giving the impression I described above. It was just all too quickly revealed and resolved to make the reader actually feel much for either man.

jules0623 | Mar 31, 2013 |

jules0623 | Mar 29, 2013 |
3.5 starsI like relationship-in-trouble stories. This short, told from Tom's first person POV, starts off when Tom is mugged on the street and suffers some swelling in the brain which leads to amnesia (most of which is fortunately, temporary). He wakes up to find he's forgotten that he is married to his BFF, Ryan and has been for more than 2 years. As he had loved Ryan from afar when they were just friends, he is quick to accept their love and anxious to resume their relationship and his memories of it. It quickly becomes apparent however that there has been trouble in paradise. As Tom looks at their relationship without the baggage of the previous 2 years, he is able to take responsibility for his own mistakes and inattentions. The mugging has given him a new resolve not to squander opportunities. Ryan is not perfect either. He has made some terrible mistakes too and both of the men have to forgive and make changes. The book was let down for me by not sufficiently detailing those changes and settling them in so that I believed that a) the story was finished and b) the pair had sorted things out and would be okay in the future. They might be - there wasn't quite enough for me to be sure. An enjoyable but somewhat incomplete read for me. ( )
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |
  Kaetrin | Aug 9, 2012 |

A. J. Rose is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,430,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible