The Council of Mirrors by Michael Buckley

The Council of Mirrors

by Michael Buckley

I absolutely adore this series. It's one of the type of series that makes you want to rub up against a friend, and tell them about it. Just like this.

Any fairy tale you could think of is covered. Some I actually had to look up and read because I had never heard of them. Happy reading. ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
I had to read it to finish up the series. There's lots of action and deaths tossed here and there and I just couldn't care much and it didn't hold my attention well. And it does still give me the impression of a book designed for boys, just with girl main characters. Which is fine, but not to my taste.

The editing started to suffer near the end. Typos crept in, and some things didn't make sense. Boys cannot be cows, for one example.

Mostly just relief that it's done now. ( )
  Jellyn | Aug 14, 2013 |
this was a great way to end the series. I loved the action and suspense and surprises in the whole series and I would highly recommend it to anybody who likes fairytales, suspense and adventure. ( )
  SRaval | Aug 6, 2013 |
**spoiler alert**

First of all, I would like to say that I have read and enjoyed books 1 through 8 of the Sisters Grimm series. Most of the characters were likeable, the scenarios were entertaining, and the battle was, if nothing else, interesting. That being said, I was disappointed with the conclusion, in particular the ending. The battle/war scenes were well written, but some of the plot twists, such as the death scene after the wedding, were predictable. The ending, though predictable, could have been written better. Through cheesy dialogue (and a good-alway-triumphs-over-evil feeling that was so overdone I felt sick to my stomach), the story ended happily as we all knew it would.

But then the epilogues.

The first epilogue was difficult to read. Not just because it wasn't the ending we all knew was going to happen eventually (though that may have been a small part of it), but also due to the fact that Sabrina's whole personality had changed. She wasn't the sort-of-troubled, independent girl that we had followed from "The Fairytale Detectives". Instead, she was a secretive adult who was sacrificing everything she was to marry some guy she didn't even love. Some guy who didn't even know what an everafter was. Where was the "the queen of sneaks"? Where was the girl who had risked her life to fight the Scarlet Hand? Where was the girl who had endured Puck and his pegasi army?

Apparently, she got lost on her way to the altar.

And towards the end, when everyone's favorite flying boy appears, it seems like the future was changed a little TOO much, because all the maturity future Sabrina promised doesn't exist. It's as if Puck heard about Sabrina's extreme personality change and decided to remind her about the good old days when he used to throw glop grenades at her and turn her green.

The first epilogue was less substance and more "where everyone is now", but the entire premise felt forced and just plain wrong. By tweaking the ending of the book a little, deleting the first epilogue, and rewriting the second, Michael Buckley could have concluded the series on a much stronger and believeable note.

Now to discuss the second epilogue...

It starts off as the first epilogue: an update on the characters lives. But it also had Sabrina complaining about being an adult...and a a parent. She mentions a nameless danger (possibly a new book opportunity-Sisters Grimm: The Second Generation), and then finds out that her daughter has sprouted wings. Apparently, Puck has also hopped aboard the denial train, as Alison and Emma know nothing about everafters or even being a Grimm. It's like Daphne and Sabrina meeting Relda for the first time, only in Council of Mirrors, there is no excuse. Puck and Sabrina have intentionally let their daughters be ignorant to their heritage (something that hurt and troubled the original sisters Grimm) for no reason.

All in all, "The Council of Mirrors" was a good book with some glaring errors, which I can only attribute to either laziness or boredom on Mr. Buckley's part. If you are a fan of the series, you should definitely read this, because whether we like it or not, this is canon. However, you may not be fully satisfied at the conclusion. ( )
  summers1630 | Apr 19, 2013 |
My biggest gripes with the story were the major plothole/inconsistency at the end that was never clearly addressed and the scenario in the very last epilogue - two huge problems that I just couldn't ignore. I suppose the plothole/inconsistency (no mention of what happened to the Scarlet Hand Everafters; based on earlier events in the series, they would have been released from the castle) was hinted at in the final epilogue, but I feel like it really should have been dealt with more directly. As for someone not knowing something in the final epilogue, that made no sense at all to me.

Despite those problems though, I did enjoy reading the book with my kids and thought that overall it this was a good, satisfying ending to a fun series. I especially loved the way the author decided to resolve the problem with Mirror. It may not have been very realistic; but this was a children's series after all. I'm glad it ended on a positive note rather than a dark one. ( )
  TnTexas | Mar 31, 2013 |

Hoping to save their family and the citizens of Ferryport Landing from the evil plans of Mirror, Sabrina and Daphne Grimm seek counsel from the other magic mirrors, who advise them to join forces with the Scarlet Hand.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,086,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible