Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden by…

Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden (1982)

by Eleanor Perenyi

This is simply a delightful book written for the readers enjoyment rather than enlightenment. It consists of fifty, sixty or more essays on various subjects all having to do with some aspect of gardening. The chapters are all titled according to subject matter and in addition there is an excellent index. The book is written for sheer pleasure and enjoyment. No chapter is longer than a few pages and the book lends itself to short bursts of reading that can be extended as time permits. The author is sure to bring smiles to the readers face with shared reminiscenses of experiences that have failed her. Many will be in common with the average gardener. The book includes many personal experiences, a touch of history here and there and the inclusion of scientific nomenclature where useful. Since there are so many short essays in this book and since it lends itself to skipping around so well, it is difficult to know when you have really finished the book. I personally didn't mind reading many chapters a second time. ( )
  gdemange | Apr 4, 2013 |
(This review was originally written for The Garden Bloggers' Book Club)

I was very happy when “Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden” by Eleanor Perenyi was chosen for the Garden Bloggers’ Book Club. I checked this book out of my local library about four years ago and liked it so much that I added it to my Wishlist on Amazon.com for purchase so that I could re-read it at my leisure. This was the perfect opportunity to finally buy the book and read it again.

The author and I are kindred spirits. We garden organically, prefer heirlooms, abhor lawns and lawnmowers, and adore compost. I have to keep reminding myself that she was writing in 1981, long before any of these things were “fashionable”.

Her writing is lighthearted and very readable. Even the essays on vegetables, which I don’t grow, are enjoyable. I especially like her exasperation at unclear directions. It’s nice to know that other gardeners have the same difficulties with unclear instructions that I do.

Each essay is complete in itself, so the book can be read right through or you can skip around. I’m so glad that I finally have my own copy. It’s one of those books that I will read over and over. ( )
  OldRoses | Apr 2, 2008 |
This book was assigned in a class on landscape and garden architecture, and I've been toting it around ever since. The writing is a model of clarity and wit, and it is a feat of accomplishment to order a series of essays in alphabetical order and yet have them form a progressive narrative. Eleanor Perenyi is the next-door neighbor I always wanted: a great cook, a cosmopolitan observer of human nature, and the owner of a beautiful garden. ( )
1 vote bkohl | Dec 4, 2007 |
It is a delight to find someone who gracefully combines the qualities of gardener and writer and can say about herself, ''I am no horticultural expert and wouldn't want to pass myself off as one. All I can claim is some thirty years of amateur experience, which is to say I know something about a lot of things and not enough to call myself a specialist in any. I grow herbs, but I am not an herbalist, roses but am not a rosarian.'' All this may, perhaps, be true, but Eleanor Perenyi is much more than a gardener. Her last book,''Liszt: The Artist as Romantic Hero,'' was nominated for a National Book Award. Her career as a journalist was varied, and before retiring to her garden in Stonington, Conn., the garden she writes about in her new book, ''Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden,'' she was managing editor of Mademoiselle magazine.

Foreward:
I have had only two gardens in my life.
Annuals:
Plants that flower, set seed and die within a single season, they can preform prodigies in their brief lives.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037575945X, Paperback)

A classic in the literature of the garden, Green Thoughts is a beautifully written and highly original collection of seventy-two essays, alphabetically arranged, on topics ranging from “Annuals” and “Artichokes” to “Weeds” and “Wildflowers.” An amateur gardener for over thirty years, Eleanor Perényi draws upon her wide-ranging knowledge of gardening lore to create a delightful, witty blend of how-to advice, informed opinion, historical insight, and philosophical musing. There are entries in praise of earthworms and in protest of rock gardens, a treatise on the sexual politics of tending plants, and a paean to the salubrious effect of gardening (see “Longevity”). Twenty years after its initial publication, Green Thoughts remains as much a joy to read as ever.

This Modern Library edition is published with a new Introduction by Allen Lacy, former gardening columnist for The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times and the author of numerous gardening books.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:40 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,635,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible