The Drunk Diet: How I Lost 40 Pounds . . .…

The Drunk Diet: How I Lost 40 Pounds . . . Wasted: A Memoir

by Luc Carl

Picked this up at the library for my true love, but decided to read it first. There's plenty of stuff I disagree with in it (salt! OMG, don't use salt at the table you will die, die die!) but also some humor. There are more typos than you can shake a stick at, and that always drives me batshit. Interesting but not my cuppa. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway (thanks, Goodreads!) and I loved it! It reads almost like a conversation with the author - who writes much like he talks, I imagine. I laughed out loud throughout, and though I wasn't expecting much in the way of weight loss tips, there is definitely some good, practical advice here, mainly to figure out what works for you, and you'll be successful. I enjoyed reading about his journey in becoming the person he wanted to be. I'm hoping there are more books from him in the future. ( )
  MSFJones | Apr 1, 2013 |
A great “anti diet book” diet book. Funny and entertaining and motivational. When I was finished I hadn’t felt like I had just read a “how to” book. ( )
  sworsnup | Mar 27, 2012 |
This book is an irreverent take on diet books. It is a funny memoir from a very likable author. If you've ever gone on a diet, enjoyed rock music, drunk in a bar, woke up in jail or lying on the street, or just truly lived life then you should get a kick out of it. Warning - 4 letter expletives abound, used as verbs, adverbs and adjectives.
reviewer won this book from Library thing. ( )
  tac1948 | Feb 11, 2012 |
People seem to love or despise this book. There seems to be no middle ground. I fell on the love side of the scales. Reading this made me wish I was 40 pounds overweight and a few years younger. Everything Luc describes as his lifestyle was my life 20 years ago...except I was his skinny friend that never gained weight. Comparing the music in my MP3 player to Luc's resulted in a near identical match. I swear he must have broke into my house, stole my drums, running shoes and music. I was never a victim of the 4am tacos, but I could see fat Luc and I sharing a few over beers. This book is definitely aimed at people not easily offended. The storytelling is like you are sitting at his bar listening to him while he pours you another vodka/soda. Thank you Luc. Job well done. ( )
  SpaceBarf | Feb 10, 2012 |

A beer-soaked tale of a long-haired, leather-clad rock ’n roll party-maker who transformed a whiskey-and-5:00AM cheeseburger lifestyle into a wildly successful weight-loss regime

Three years ago, Lüc Carl was a chubby rock ’n roller with a penchant for partying and Chinese food. With long hair, snakeskin spandex pants, and black leather, Lüc fit the part as bar manager at hip lower east side bars, but the job was getting the best of him—the long, late hours and the barfly life had made him forty-pounds overweight and completely out of shape—and he grew increasingly unhappy with his body and himself. After reading countless fitness books and being told time and again that it’s impossible to lose weight while drinking alcohol he decided to take matters into his own hands. (He could give up the cheeseburgers, the cigarettes, the soda, but don’t take away his booze!) This book is that journey—a journey in which he went from being an out of shape, bloated asshole, to losing 40 pounds, picking up running, and becoming “the sexiest, most delightful man on the planet.”

Full of charismatic wit and insane stories about his life, Lüc’s book is a mix of memoir and advice: laugh and be inspired while he takes you along on his hilarious journey to become healthier and fitter, and live vicariously through a guy who likes to have a good time, AL the time (even if that now means running 8 miles a day). Along the way, you’ll find out much more about Lüc than just how he lost all that weight: you will read about his charming Midwest roots in Nebraska, where his love of music was discovered at the age of nine in his dad’s truck; his high school days where he honed his skills as a kick-ass drummer in the school band; and his move to NYC to pursue his rockstar dreams, sleeping on friends’ couches and working all night at the local taco truck. Peppered throughout will be hilarious sidebars, such as his “What the F*ck” sections that will define terms such as electrolytes and omega-3 fatty acids, and Lüc’s Laws (“If you’ve made the decision to drink beer, drink a f*cking beer. Light beer is for pussies.”)

The Drunk Diet will be a real shot of hope for all those regular folks out there looking to change their lives without being a whey guzzling, creatine popping, shaved chest, bulimic, meat-head. The answers are all here. Follow Lüc Carl and his mantra: Get healthy and have a good time.

"Full of charismatic wit and raucous stories about his life, The Drunk Diet will inspire and challenge you to become fitter, healthier, and happier. L?uc's fitness philosophy isn't about following a list of rigid rules or traditional 'do this, not that' charts, but gaining a better understanding of how the body works and discovering what you're personally willing to change about your lifestyle in order to reach your goals. For him, that meant trading in the crap he was eating for unprocessed, natural foods and embracing a newfound love for exercise, but never sacrificing his social life (or his love for cold beer)."--dust jacket.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Luc Carl's book The Drunk Diet: How I Lost 40 Pounds...Wasted was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible