Kasher in the Rye: The True Tale of a White…

Kasher in the Rye: The True Tale of a White Boy from Oakland Who Became a…

by Moshe Kasher

MBD is an @$$#0!&, is ostensibly the takeaway from this book. Well, no, not really. The takeaways are actually numerous, and valuable, and among them are: how low one can sink despite one's best conscious efforts, where salvation can come from, how violence can sometimes not have a reason other than children can be just plain stupid, how scared straight often has no long term effect, and how real one can get when it matters. Kasher gets high marks for his sense of humor, and he peppers spottable absurdities into the narrative that can clearly be seen as mockeries/falsehoods, and not facts, due to his sharp and clear style. At the end, though, once he has the reader hooked, he stops with the silliness and faces his reality in a bold way. Good for him for the path he's taken since. His book is quite fascinating. ( )
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
This book was a huge disappointment. I expected it to be the story of how Moshe Kasher became such an awesome comedian. But that's not what it's about, at all. It's about his fucking childhood. Seriously, from like birth, until he gets his fucking GED at 16. Like I fucking care about that shit? Fuck no.

I wanted to read about how he first got on stage. How he bombed horribly. How he got gang raped in the alley, behind the club. How he went home crying, to his mommy. But no. It's not about that at all. It's just fucking bullshit about how his parents are deaf, and life is so hard... Cry me a fucking river. I don't fucking care.

Okay, the bit where his mother asked him if he was a faggot every Sunday, after church... That shit was funny. Because, come on, Moshe Kasher is the faggotest guy who ever lived. I mean look at this guy...

Of course his mother thinks he's a faggot. But she assures him that it's okay. It's fine, if you're a faggot. Which it is, of course. But he denies it. Every Sunday, he tells her that no, he's not, in fact, a faggot. Sure, buddy. Keep telling yourself that.

The book goes on and on about how Moshe tried to get in gangs. Yea right. This faggot tried to get into gangs? Seriously? He'd chip a nail! Then he rants about stealing shit, and doing drugs, and going to rehab over and over. I just can't see it, man. It's got to be fiction.

There's no way this faggot got into gangs, stole shit, did shit tons of drugs, and all that bullshit. There's just no way. He must have just pulled these stories out of his ass, because I don't believe a fucking word of it.

And don't give me shit about using the word 'faggot', you fucking assholes. It's just a word. Get over it. I'm a big fat faggot myself. But even if I wasn't, it's just a goddamn word. And don't tell me it doesn't apply to Moshe Kasher, because seriously... Just look at the guy. There's no fucking way he's straight. There. I said it. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
A great memoir from a great young comedian who's already seen a lot from life. I really enjoyed the voice, the humor, the asides. I got weepy two or three times, and so will you unless you're a monster. Much like Catcher in the Rye, I think many young people would see themselves in this kid's story, even though the details probably differ widely from those of tier own lives. ( )
  Booktacular | Aug 16, 2014 |
I only really know Moshe Kasher from the two times I've heard him as a guest on Stop Podcasting Yourself, an excellent podcast from Vancouver based comedians Graham Clark and Dave Schumka. His appearances were pretty funny, the guy has a quick wit and an interesting sense of humor.

On his most recent two appearances, he talked about writing a book that detailed his pretty sordid past involving drugs and mental health. Having gone through so much before his sixteenth birthday, there was no way this book could be anything but enthralling.

I certainly wasn't wrong.

It can be jarring listening (snagged a copy of the audiobook) to Moshe explain how one drug led to another and how serious his addictions became. The combination of drugs that he had been taking at one point was mind boggling, it's unbelievable just how much memory he retained. When you add a vicious and unforgiving attitude toward any authority figure as well as his mother, it's a wonder he came out the other end with such a positive attitude and achieved this level of success and comfort.

Oh, and this book is really funny. Kasher is now a stand-up comedian and part time actor so he knows how to entertain. While he's regaling you with stories of his troubled youth, he keeps certain topics light by infusing his unique sense of humor. It takes a special kind of person to make you laugh while trying to justify being too lazy to walk the ten feet to the bathroom, electing rather to piss in empty soft drink cups and cast iron heaters. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |

Rising young comedian Moshe Kasher is lucky to be alive. He started using drugs when he was just 12. At that point, he had already been in psychoanlysis for 8 years. By the time he was 15, he had been in and out of several mental institutions, drifting from therapy to rehab to arrest to...you get the picture. But KASHER IN THE RYE is not an "eye opener" to the horrors of addiction. It's a hilarious memoir about the absurdity of it all.

When he was a young boy, Kasher's mother took him on a vacation to the West Coast. Well it was more like an abduction. Only not officially. She stole them away from their father and they moved to Oakland , California. That's where the real fun begins, in the war zone of Oakland Public Schools. He was more than just out of control-his mother walked him around on a leash, which he chewed through and ran away.

Those early years read like part Augusten Burroughs, part David Sedaris, with a touch of Jim Carrol...but a lot more Jewish. In fact, Kasher later spends time in a Brooklyn Hasidic community. Then came addicition...

Brutally honest and laugh-out-loud funny, Kasher's first literary endeavor finds humor in even the most horrifying situations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:14 -0400)

A rising comedian describes with humor the absurdity of his troubled youth in Oakland, California, where his mother walked him on a leash until he chewed through it and ran away and started taking drugs at age twelve.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,130,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible