Red by Kait Nolan

I sat down and read it in one sitting.

There is a lot to like about this story, especially the relationship that develops between Elodie and Sawyer.

Mystery, action, character growth...all extremely well done. Sawyer is a perfect alpha male hero, without being an overbearing jerk. Elodie is a strong heroine, but not to the point of being annoying. She can step back and accept help, without losing an iota of her strength.

Loved it. You wrote a winner, Kait Nolan! ( )
  GaylaDrummond | Mar 28, 2013 |
Book Title: Red

Author: Kait Nolan

Published By:

Recommended Age: 16+

Reviewed By: Emily Tuley / AngelsCryHavoc

Blog Reviewed For: Great Minds Think Aloud Literary Community

Rating: 5 Ravens

Where to begin? Oh my god where to begin? Kait Nolan has entered with a bang and blown me away. To long have the stories of Vampires taken a romanticized priority to the Supernatural/Paranormal written world. Werewolves and some of the fairy tales of old taken a back seat or been very loosely translated to fit into the place where they covered just enough but left to many questions. RED by Kait Nolan gives me a breath of fresh and vibrant air. I know I’m starting out now by singing it’s praises , but I can not help but say that it’s a wonderfully written and captivating tale taking the story of Red Riding Hood and her whole past to a whole new level and steps. I love this book. A classic with a twist and a Young Adult romance that keeps you turning the pages.

The story is of Elodie a young girl of 17 going through her life wondering why and what happened really with her mother and her supposed suicide. Not only had she left a letter for Elodie and her Father but she had made sure to inform them both of the changes that would be coming to Elodie after a certain age causing her life to be nothing short of cold and shut in. Elodie is soon to find out that everything of her Mothers bloodline and past are all faults, and lies that some beasts can be controlled and that she herself is in more control than she ever knew.

Enter Sawyer a young man or better yet a young werewolf with his father suffering from the murder of his mother and filled with rage almost to the point that the beast wants to consume him. His only hope is to keep control of himself and this is hard. Getting harder everyday angry with life, His father and the fact that his mother is gone Sawyer is on a short temper and an even shorter life line.

The two meet and when they find that one calms and helps the other more than thought they realize that neither are as alone as they feel and both could be more than just friends. With a hunter on their tales bad things constantly happening and a twist you never see coming Red will leave you breathless, and itching to turn the pages and get lost within this world that Kait has created. Wonderfully developed characters, back stories, and even details of the shift kept realistic and believable all I can say to Kait Nolan is your on a roll and we want and need MORE! ( )
  Angelscryhavoc | Nov 17, 2011 |
Red has an incredible beautiful cover that is certain to grab readers eye. I was anxious for a chance to read this short paranormal mystery. Kait Nolan offers a short and entertaining read. Elodie and Sawyer pasts are very tragic and saddening, but it is great to see the chance at happiness for these two characters. Their journey is a gruesome and detailed read; it is easy to feel that desperation and intensity of their story. I find Nolan writing style is new and offers some obstacles for keeping readers dedicated to the story line. This is a great start for this debuting author, and I look to see more from her in the future. ( )
  BookWhisperer | Oct 20, 2011 |
For Allen,
My everyday hero, who makes me laugh.
All my love,
K
I was thirteen when I found out why my mother left me.

Every fairy tale has a dark side. Elodie Rose has a secret. Any day, she'll become a wolf and succumb to the violence that's cursed her family for centuries. For seventeen years she's hidden who and what she is. But now someone knows the truth and is determined to exterminate her family line. Living on borrowed time in the midst of this dangerous game of hide and seek, the last thing Elodie needs to do is fall in love. But Sawyer is determined to protect her, and the brooding, angry boy is more than what he seems. Can they outsmart a madman? And if they survive, will they find a way to beat the curse for good? Review: Holy, holy crap, I really enjoyed this book.I was so absorbed in this book while reading it, I couldn't stay away and I wanted to check out of everything I was doing so I could go finish it. I think of this as glue and have referenced in other reviews when a book is sticky. This book is quite sticky. Be ye warned.The storytelling and the layers of meaning and the multiple ways to view what was happening in the story made this incredibly fun to read, and I have recommended it several times to people already. I think that part of what draws readers to YA and YA romance is that emotions are overwhelming and scary, even if you're an adult, and that feeling of being overpowered by your emotions coupled with the secrecy of teenage life makes for some compelling reading. In this particular case, both of those elements are present and strong in the story, and when combined with allegory and a recasting of a well-known myth, it's delicious. --Sarah Wendell, Smart Bitches, Trashy Books… (more)

Kait Nolan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,989,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible