Unfinished Business by Jon Hargrove

by Jon Hargrove

212,551,640 (4.25)None
Recently added bynashjar, shrinkidinked

**Courtesy of CK2S Kwips & Kritiques**

An injury forced ex-football player Jim Knighthorse out of the game, and side-swiped a potential career in the NFL. But he has recuperated, is in training, and may have another shot at a pro football career. In the meantime, he pays the bills doing the only other thing he knows – investigative work. Although circumstances may have dictated his current career, he’s darn good at it, and takes it seriously. Each case is more than just a job to him – he is intent on seeing justice served, no matter what he has to do to get there.

Case in point: the arrest of high school student Derrick Booker for the murder of his girlfriend. Knighthorse’s gut tells him the young man is innocent, and the series of threats against the private dick that ensue as soon as he accepts the case do more than confirm what his gut tells him – they make him more determined than ever to uncover the real villain.

Unfinished Business is the first in Jon Hargrove’s Jim Knighthorse series, and my first read by this author. I can tell you unequivocally I am looking forward to the next in this fun series! Hargrove infuses Jim Knighthorse with a dry wit, and readers are entertained by quips worthy of any popular TV private detective through his dialogue with other characters and by experiencing the hero’s every thought, a benefit of the story being written in first person. Indeed, it is hard to imagine the story being written in a different format, as the first person view affords us an interesting insight to the male psyche while enjoying Knighthorse’s random musings concerning just about everything.

I called this a fun series, and I laughed quite a bit, but the book and the main character have their dark side as well. Jim is a bit of an anti-hero at times, and goes to great lengths to protect those who are unable to defend themselves, sometimes using some very unconventional methods to achieve his goals.

What would a good mystery be without some interesting twists? Unfinished Business definitely has several of those! I have read a great many mystery novels ever since I was a kid, bred on Agatha Christie novels. My mind is pretty good at solving puzzles of all kinds, and I am always impressed with a story that manages to surprise me. I came fairly close to figuring out the plot twists, but Hargrove still managed to pull a couple of surprises over on me – much to my delight!

The author is working on a sequel to this story, and I will definitely be watching for its release!

nashjar | Feb 13, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,839,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible