Down And Out in Manhattan by Irene Magers

Down And Out in Manhattan

by Irene Magers

198537,190 (3.33)4

Having previously read Irene Magers' trilogy I was looking forward to read a "modern" book by her.
I was NOT disappointed. Her writing was an absolute page turner. Just towards the end she seemed to leave out a lot to finish the book - I would have liked more details. Otherwise - I highly recommend the book! ( )
  yukon92 | Mar 30, 2012 |
I won this book as the result of a giveaway on LibraryThing.com
I really enjoyed this story. My only question after reading was;"What was the official cause of death for the person who passed away while on the cruise?" I had hoped that information would be provided before the end of the book.
The cast of characters was delightful. The cruise sounded like alot of fun for the most part. The conversation near the end of the book, between Maggie and one of the Senior Partners at the law firm where she had worked prior to taking the cruise, was sweet justice. I was glad for Maggie that it happened the way it did.
I really can't say more without spoiling the book for other readers.
Thank you Ms. Magers for a very enjoyable read.

Note: The only reason it took me so long to read this book is that I carried it in my car so I would always have something to read. In case I left the house without something else I was currently reading. ( )
  hitchcockbe44 | Feb 7, 2012 |
Won through a Members Giveaway here at LT, I enjoyed this novel about a woman trying to restart her life. Maggie gets fired from her boring but reliable job and decides to take a 2 week Mexican cruise on a snap decision. Once onbaord, she meets some characters, most of them seniors, and there are a few little storylines that get introduced. Not the least of these is one with a potential romantic suitor, Michael. Some accidents happen, and a few mysterious things occur, and Maggie ends up getting off of the cruise early. After she's back at home in NYC, we follow up with her and one of her new friends in the next few months.

I enjoyed the book, but it could have been better with just a few small changes. I enjoyed the relatively short (2-5 page) chapters, but the earlier chapters finished very abruptly; just one more sentence would have wrapped it up nicely. Also, there was a bit of an overall feeling for me that there wasn't enough explanation of some of the secondary characters - some of the threads were just left hanging, and some characters acted like we should be right there with them, experiencing all of these emotional things. Instead, it seems a little choppy and didn't make for a smooth reading journey overall. Despite these quibbles, I did like the book. It was nice to read a story about a woman older than 25 trying to get out of her rut and find out who she is, and it was all finished in a predictably happy way in the end. 3.25 stars, and I'd like to read more work by the author in the future. ( )
  LauraBrook | Dec 31, 2011 |
I liked this book. I found the character of Maggie to be interesting, but slightly annoying and whiny. The story was interesting and seemed to be true to life, which I enjoyed. Her writing style was quick and easy-to-read. A good book for an airplane or bus. ( )
  eheinlen | Dec 23, 2011 |
The author seems to be on the right track for a light, entertaining read...alas it does not happen. The plot is fun and interesting, but the unimportant details and the side stories that have no relation to the plot drag it down and make it a task to finish. This is a great short story, not a full length novel. The book is jam packed with specific details and long winded descriptive paragraphs that seem like they might relate somehow, but they are completely irrelevant. I hate giving bad reviews, but this one gets to be a trial about a third of the way in. ( )
  igjoe | Dec 4, 2011 |

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

Down And Out in Manhattan is the story of life-changing decisions and second chances. When Margaret Maghpye, single and living in Manhattan, is fired from her job she decides to take a bold leap. With the thought of facing another painful holiday season, she exhausts her savings on a Mexican cruise, hoping it will lift her spirits. Having spent her scarred, young adult life making all the wrong choices, at first blush, this seems to be just another mistake of a lonely dreamer. As she struggles to survive shipboard intrigue and entrapment, there's a bright spot when she befriends a fellow passenger, Michael Sanders - an enigmatic recluse with plenty of reasons to keep to himself. But, having felt the sting of heartbreak time and again, Maggie may not be ready to embark on another relationship. When Michael must leave the ship to assist in an emergency, she wonders if their friendship will endure the distance between them, particularly when she encounters a crisis of her own.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Irene Magers's book Down And Out in Manhattan was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,047,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible