Red, White, and Drunk All Over: A…

Red, White, and Drunk All Over: A Wine-Soaked Journey from Grape to Glass

by Natalie MacLean

In this book, the author takes you all over the world of wine, from Burgundy in France to Napa Valley to Chile and Australia. She did get a little wordy and technical at times but I learned a lot about how wine was made and it definitely made me want to try a real tasting some time. The last chapter gives recommendations for what types of wine to drink with different foods so that will be a great reference for me. ( )
1 vote ACQwoods | Jul 10, 2011 |
The memoir-like tone initially grated (the same way that Reading Lolita In Tehran grated -- although I never got over Nafisi and I did get over MacLean), but the content was very solid. I didn't feel like I was reading a textbook, but I was picking up on new tidbits of information here and there, which was grand. I honestly don't know how she could have written a more readable book covering what she covered.

I came away glad I'd read it, but not likely to read it again, use it as reference, or recommend it -- unless, of course, you actually seek out books that cloak their content in memoir stylistics. In that case, this is the wine book for you. ( )
1 vote pammab | Aug 23, 2010 |
I agree with the first review: excellent read for the wine novice. Natalie advocates a de-snobbing of the wine world as wine becomes globally more adventurous and incorporated.

She only discovered wine at the ripe age of a college graduate, proving you are never too old to soak up an appreciation for wine and develop your own distinctive tastes and collection. ( )
1 vote wineisme | Jul 1, 2009 |
I completely enjoyed this book, its made me feel very passionate about learning about wine. MacLean breaks it down so it doesn't get too technical but you still come away learning something. At least I did anyway. ( )
  SamSusan | Jan 8, 2009 |
Excellent read for the REAL wine lover: This is the first book that I've read that actually makes it fun to
learn about wine. It's relaxed and realistic for the wine novice.
Natalie teaches about wine to those who want to enjoy it, not just look
impressive ordering or drinking it.
I retained more real world knowledge about wine reading this than I have reading the wine magazines and tomes. ( )
  lonepalm | Dec 1, 2008 |

Award-winning writer Natalie MacLean sweeps readers behind the scenes of the international wine world, visiting its most evocative places and meeting its most charismatic personalities. Red, White, and Drunk All Over showcases the engaging wit, investigative curiosity, and sharp eye for obsessive passion that has made her free e-newsletter Nat Decants one of the most popular in North America.

Natalie tastes sensuous pinot noir in the ancient cellars of Burgundy while discovering the mysterious tenets of biodynamic viticulture from such colourful characters as the tiny, ferocious Lalou Bize-Leroy, part-owner of France's acclaimed Domaine de la Romanée-Conti. She pulls on sturdy boots to help with the grape harvest at California’s Bonny Doon Vineyards–and gets to the root of the anti-establishment philosophy of owner Randall Grahm, notorious for his experimental wine techniques, love for unfashionable grapes, and fondness for naming his wines “Cardinal Zin,” “Heart Has its Rieslings,” and “Big House Red” (whose grapes are grown just down the road from one of California’s state prisons).

Natalie takes a job as undercover sommelier at a five-star French restaurant, spends a day helping customers in a high-end New York wine shop, wades into a famous feud between Robert Parker and Jancis Robinson, two of the world’s best-known critics and, back home, invites friends over for a casual wine tasting. Along the way she teaches us–painlessly and often hilariously–how to face a telephone directory-sized wine list without fear, what questions to ask to get exactly the wine you are looking, what those scores out of 100 really mean, and how properly to expectorate (it’s best to start out in the shower!)

This wine-soaked blend of Kitchen Confidential and Sideways is a fascinating tour from the grape to the glass that will drive readers to drink. And think. And laugh.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:06 -0400)

"After three years of sipping, spitting and slogging her way through bushy vine leaves and cellar cob webs, award-winning writer Natalie MacLean takes readers behind the scenes of the international wine world. exploring its history, visiting its most evocative places, and meeting some of its most charismatic personalities."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,366,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible