Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

Shadow of Night (2012)

by Deborah Harkness

Series: All Souls (2)

A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness (virtualval2001)
    virtualval2001: 1st installment of All Souls Trilogy
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Time travel, Romance, Historical....

English (180)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (182)
I'm really enjoying this series. This book starts where the first book leaves off. Once I got into the story, the first book came back to me. I always find a forget some of the plot and characters when there is some time between books. I felt this book stayed at a very good pace. It brought forward the dangers of 1590. I don't think I would have wanted to live back then as a woman or as a witch. Women were more like objects. There is danger around every corner and Matthew and Diana need to be careful that they don't change history. But how can you not change history.

I can't wait for the third book and I know once that book is done, I will really miss Matthew and Diana. These are characters that will stay with me for years to come. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
These are the smartest, most engaging supernatural books I've ever read. Harkness is a genius with words. Her knowledge of history is mind-boggling... and I love it. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
2nd re-read, to prepare for book three -- Book of Life ( )
  winterslights | Jun 12, 2016 |
Deborah Harkness takes us back to Elizabethan England and the book is frought with all kinds of problems for Diana and Matthew.  This was my 2nd re-read in preparation for the Book of Life (book 3) ( )
  winterslights | Jun 12, 2016 |
I finished Shadow of Night. I loved it. I enjoyed it more than I did Discovery of Witches. That is probably not shocking since time travel and Elizabethan England are two of my favorite things and the historical detail seemed good. I also think the characters gained more depth. Awesome and up my alley. 5/5 ( )
  Caitlin70433 | Jun 6, 2016 |

Deborah Harknessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Belanger, FrancescaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goretsky, TalCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The past cannot be cured.
~ Elizazbeth I
Queen of England
To Lacey Baldwin Smith,
master storyteller and historian,
who suggested some time ago that I should think about writing a novel.
We arrived in an undignified heap of witch and vampire.
You're impossible. Stop worrying what other women do. Be your own extraordinary self.
All that Children have need of is love, a grown-up to take responsibility for them, & a soft place to land.
~ Matthew Roydon
It was as Matthew said, Chidren needed love, a reliable source of comfort and an adult willing to take responsiblity for them.
~ Diana Roydon
One should find wholeness in marriage, but it should not be a prison for either party.

"Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown."

A Discovery of Witches, Book One of the magical All Souls Trilogy, introduced Diana Bishop, Oxford scholar and reluctant witch, and the handsome geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont; together they found themselves at the center of a supernatural battle over an enchanted manuscript known as Ashmole 782.

Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches' cliff-hanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew's old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.

A follow-up to the best-selling A Discovery of Witches finds Oxford scholar and reluctant witch Diana and vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont in Elizabethan London, where Diana seeks a magical tutor and Matthew confronts elements from his past at the same time the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.… (more)

Deborah Harkness is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,512,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible