Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

Shadow of Night (2012)

by Deborah Harkness

Series: All Souls (2)

A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness (virtualval2001)
    virtualval2001: 1st installment of All Souls Trilogy
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Time travel, Romance, Historical....

English (145)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (147)
This book, overall, was slightly slower than book #1… The beginning and final 25% were 5 stars… but the middle 50% was 3 star… therefore the mean is 4.
However the book leaves you more than eager to start on the third and final chapter, which I already did.
The idea I got from reading a bit about the author is that she’s an historian and passionate about what she studied, but in this book she went a bit overboard with the descriptions of places, characters (see how much she writes about the School of Night), politics, and historical setting in general. I mean, easing the reader in the context of a different time as he/she reads is good, but too many times the writing felt like a lecture instead of a novel, albeit historical.
  SaraRomanceLove | May 8, 2015 |
I got half way through this and lost steam .. I might finish at another time - I might just leave the second half unread.
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
A very promising ending of A Discovery of Witches led to a very passive beginning of Shadow of Night, enhanced only by Diana's observations of the time and her getting used to living in a whole new world without conveniences she is used to. It seems that the story started unfolding only after arriving to France - it was not so much about events taking place, but about a variety of complicated feelings and emotions, as well as reactions to them. Diana and Philippe was an incredible tandem with a lot of witty verbal exchanges and tons of chemistry. Prague seemed too slow and quite frankly, very boring. Aside from Matthew and Diana getting what they came for, nothing of interest really happened. Similarly, I did not understand the point of Diana meeting Stephen. It was too short of a meeting to decide to whether to like or not, he did not reveal any new or important information about Diana's childhood or her magical heritage, and he disappeared again too quickly to miss him. I was glad that this book, like the first one, did not end on a cliffhanger, at the same time leaving a few mysteries to keep the reader interested. And just like befire, I was amazed at highly sophisticated phrasing of dialogues - smart, carefully thought through and literary. I will definitely be looking forward to reading the next part of the series! ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
well-written trilogy, I loved
  Maybelline | Mar 22, 2015 |
Amazing book! I LOVED it! ( )
  Paiger1979 | Mar 3, 2015 |

Deborah Harknessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Belanger, FrancescaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goretsky, TalCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The past cannot be cured.
~ Elizazbeth I
Queen of England
To Lacey Baldwin Smith,
master storyteller and historian,
who suggested some time ago that I should think about writing a novel.
We arrived in an undignified heap of witch and vampire.
You're impossible. Stop worrying what other women do. Be your own extraordinary self.
All that Children have need of is love, a grown-up to take responsibility for them, & a soft place to land.
~ Matthew Roydon
It was as Matthew said, Chidren needed love, a reliable source of comfort and an adult willing to take responsiblity for them.
~ Diana Roydon
One should find wholeness in marriage, but it should not be a prison for either party.

"Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown."

A Discovery of Witches, Book One of the magical All Souls Trilogy, introduced Diana Bishop, Oxford scholar and reluctant witch, and the handsome geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont; together they found themselves at the center of a supernatural battle over an enchanted manuscript known as Ashmole 782.

Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches' cliff-hanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew's old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.

A follow-up to the best-selling A Discovery of Witches finds Oxford scholar and reluctant witch Diana and vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont in Elizabethan London, where Diana seeks a magical tutor and Matthew confronts elements from his past at the same time the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.… (more)

Deborah Harkness is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

1395 wanted8 pay4 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,312,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible