Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

Shadow of Night (2012)

by Deborah Harkness

Series: All Souls (2)

1,472None5,052 (3.92)101
2012 (36) 2013 (16) alchemy (25) All Souls Trilogy (24) daemons (19) demons (15) ebook (30) Elizabethan England (20) England (24) fantasy (149) fiction (153) historical (22) historical fiction (57) history (14) Kindle (28) London (16) magic (45) paranormal (45) Prague (14) read (24) read in 2012 (31) romance (35) series (23) supernatural (22) time travel (77) to-read (68) urban fantasy (17) vampires (158) witchcraft (17) witches (151)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (virtualval2001)
    virtualval2001: 1st installment of All Souls Trilogy
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Time travel, Romance, Historical....

English (125)  Dutch (1)  All languages (126)
Synopsis: Diana and Matthew flea to Elizabethan England in search of a rare book that may shed some light on how humans, witches, vampires and daemons came about. Diana discovers that Matthew's has acquaintances among the royals of several countries and friends in the School of Night.
Review: This book is a wonderful weaving of historical fact, supposition and fiction. The storyline doesn't dawdle along unconsciously focused on historical fact, but uses the topics of alchemy, astronomy, and religion to provide realism. I can't wait to read the third in this trilogy. ( )
  DrLed | Mar 25, 2014 |
I wanted to like this book more than I did. It's like watching the extended director's cut of that movie you love--interesting to see what the director intended and more time spent with the characters you enjoy in their cool setting. "More time" being the important words in that statement, because when you come down to it, there's usually a reason those scenes were deleted from the theatrical release. often that reason is pacing. There were a lot of points in this book (and in the first book) where I pictured the cast from Monty Python yelling "GET ON WITH IT!".

But I do enjoy these characters and their story, and I do recommend this series. Just make sure you're well provisioned before you start reading, because you won't be going anywhere for awhile. ( )
  RobynBachar | Feb 27, 2014 |
Maybe I shouldn't even rate this, because I couldn't muster up enough energy to finish it. But, as the one star only states that *I* didn't like it, I will.

I enjoyed the first novel in this series, and was looking forward to this second entry, but by the time it arrived, I had totally forgotten the plot of the first one. That's a bit unusual for me, as plots generally stick in my head pretty well. Bits and pieces of storyline came back to me, as I was reading this one, but really, nothing about the characters or their motivations. So, when this novel, at least as far as I got in it, read like a 1970s romance (old-fashioned, overbearing male tamed by strangely liberated (for the time) and contrary woman) I started to yawn. Then, I put the book down to go watch Doctor Who. Then, I read a couple other novels...and some non-fiction. Eventually, the library due date came around, and I realised that I had no desire to renew it so I could finish.

I expect this book is quite popular, and that there are many folks who are really enjoying it. I wouldn't take my review, if I were reading it, as a reason not to try the book. Think of it more as permission for you, too, to decide its not worth reading to the end. ( )
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |
That was disappointing. The author really lost her focus and had the main characters wandering around the late 1500's as if they didn't have a task to fulfill. An editor would have been useful, as maybe they could have tightened up the story. I felt like she wasn't sure if she wanted to write a novel about witches or a time traveler. That said, I will finish the story whenever it is finally done. ( )
  debbie.menzel | Feb 6, 2014 |
I've enjoyed these two books, but in this one, I'm having trouble with the gaping logistical hole - namely, Matthew and Diana go back in time, to Matthew's home in Elizabethan England. As a result, the Elizabethan Matthew pops out of existence for the time that they spend there... ummm, dodgy. And then, the two keep talking about not changing history, but literally run and ride all over Europe proclaiming they're married - a marriage that won't exist for 4 centuries, and one that is prohibited at the time by the Congregation. Harkness 'resolves' Elizabethan Matthew's problem by having Modern Matthew leave him a letter explaining what's been happening. To me, this is why one shouldn't write time travel stories, unless one has read a lot of them. All of Matthew's friends and relatives from the Elizabethan time now know he's married sometime in the future, but none of them mention it for 500 years?

Aside from that, the settings are neat, the main characters a little too cute, and the witches powers too fuzzy, just like the first book. ( )
  MikeRhode | Feb 6, 2014 |

Deborah Harknessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Belanger, FrancescaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goretsky, TalCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The past cannot be cured.
~ Elizazbeth I
Queen of England
To Lacey Baldwin Smith,
master storyteller and historian,
who suggested some time ago that I should think about writing a novel.
We arrived in an undignified heap of witch and vampire.
You're impossible. Stop worrying what other women do. Be your own extraordinary self.
All that Children have need of is love, a grown-up to take responsibility for them, & a soft place to land.
~ Matthew Roydon
It was as Matthew said, Chidren needed love, a reliable source of comfort and an adult willing to take responsiblity for them.
~ Diana Roydon
One should find wholeness in marriage, but it should not be a prison for either party.

"Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown."

A Discovery of Witches, Book One of the magical All Souls Trilogy, introduced Diana Bishop, Oxford scholar and reluctant witch, and the handsome geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont; together they found themselves at the center of a supernatural battle over an enchanted manuscript known as Ashmole 782.

Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches' cliff-hanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew's old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.

A follow-up to the best-selling A Discovery of Witches finds Oxford scholar and reluctant witch Diana and vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont in Elizabethan London, where Diana seeks a magical tutor and Matthew confronts elements from his past at the same time the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.… (more)

Deborah Harkness is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

1395 wanted7 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,450,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible