Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

Shadow of Night (2012)

by Deborah Harkness

Series: All Souls (2)

2,7291942,160 (3.93)131
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (virtualval2001)
    virtualval2001: 1st installment of All Souls Trilogy
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Time travel, Romance, Historical....

English (193)  Dutch (1)  All (194)
Swept away!! ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
Have been looking forward to reading this since finishing a Discovery of Witches and although I wasn't disappointed as such it just isn't as captivating.

It is the second book in a trilogy and I always find that the middle book is more filler than substance and at times this felt like a bit of an excuse for the author to show off her amazing knowledge of Elizabethan London, not necessarily a bad thing but just wasn't as thrilling as the first book.

Will definitely read the conclusion to the All Souls Trilogy and just wish that I had waiting until the final part was published so that I could gloss over this part. ( )
  boobellina | Jul 12, 2017 |

boobellina | Jul 12, 2017 |
I didn't think I'd ever finish this one. I enjoyed the beginning very much, but less toward the middle of the book. And the end was a bit of a slog. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
3.5...

Phew. As with the previous installment I can't help but feel that the book was a bit too long... especially the first quarter of it. I was reading it and going... "whaaaas goin ooon"... Gah. And the convenient plot devising and Mary Sue-like properties of the characters also made my inner-nitpicker twitch.

But honestly? Apart from the vampire angst (lets skim over those paragraphs shall we?) and Diana B's wet tissue confidence (this too) and convenient plot devising and highly illogical plot twists (really? Diana was conveniently left alone after being guarded like no one's business for the first 600 pages?)... apart from these klaxons blazing my head each time... I found that I did enjoy it. History, genetics and magic! And meat pies! Yeaaaah. So... onwards! If only to see Sarah's face when Gallowglass calls Diana "Auntie". Also I wish Matt would stop calling her "ma lionne"... just... yech. o_O ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |

Deborah Harknessprimary authorall editionscalculated
Belanger, FrancescaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goretsky, TalCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The past cannot be cured.
~ Elizazbeth I
Queen of England
To Lacey Baldwin Smith,
master storyteller and historian,
who suggested some time ago that I should think about writing a novel.
We arrived in an undignified heap of witch and vampire.
You're impossible. Stop worrying what other women do. Be your own extraordinary self.
All that Children have need of is love, a grown-up to take responsibility for them, & a soft place to land.
~ Matthew Roydon
It was as Matthew said, Chidren needed love, a reliable source of comfort and an adult willing to take responsiblity for them.
~ Diana Roydon
One should find wholeness in marriage, but it should not be a prison for either party.

"Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown."

A Discovery of Witches, Book One of the magical All Souls Trilogy, introduced Diana Bishop, Oxford scholar and reluctant witch, and the handsome geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont; together they found themselves at the center of a supernatural battle over an enchanted manuscript known as Ashmole 782.

Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches' cliff-hanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew's old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.

A follow-up to the best-selling A Discovery of Witches finds Oxford scholar and reluctant witch Diana and vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont in Elizabethan London, where Diana seeks a magical tutor and Matthew confronts elements from his past at the same time the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.… (more)

Deborah Harkness is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,601,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible