Shadow of night by Deborah E. Harkness

Shadow of night (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Deborah E. Harkness

2,5971922,301 (3.93)129
Member:bethnv
Title:Shadow of night
Authors:Deborah E. Harkness
Info:New York : Viking, 2012.
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read in 2012

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness (2012)

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (virtualval2001)
    virtualval2001: 1st installment of All Souls Trilogy
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Time travel, Romance, Historical....

English (190)  Dutch (1)  All (191)
I didn't think I'd ever finish this one. I enjoyed the beginning very much, but less toward the middle of the book. And the end was a bit of a slog. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
3.5...

Phew. As with the previous installment I can't help but feel that the book was a bit too long... especially the first quarter of it. I was reading it and going... "whaaaas goin ooon"... Gah. And the convenient plot devising and Mary Sue-like properties of the characters also made my inner-nitpicker twitch.

But honestly? Apart from the vampire angst (lets skim over those paragraphs shall we?) and Diana B's wet tissue confidence (this too) and convenient plot devising and highly illogical plot twists (really? Diana was conveniently left alone after being guarded like no one's business for the first 600 pages?)... apart from these klaxons blazing my head each time... I found that I did enjoy it. History, genetics and magic! And meat pies! Yeaaaah. So... onwards! If only to see Sarah's face when Gallowglass calls Diana "Auntie". Also I wish Matt would stop calling her "ma lionne"... just... yech. o_O ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
Having enjoyed "A Discovery of Witches" I picked up "Shadow of Night" with fairly high expectations. Unfortunately, it soon became obvious that the sequel was not up to the challenge of continuing with the intricate world Harkness had created in the first book. The story picks up with Matthew and Diana traveling back in time to the late 1500s so that Diana can learn to master her powers, as well as track down the manuscript that started the whole thing in the first book.

Nothing really happens. They go back in time and just kind of fart around. They meet the famous people of the day, including Kit Marlowe and Queen Elizabeth, and after a while it gets really old. They meet everyone, and everyone is enamored with Diana. Also, Matthew's contributions to history are just way too many to be believed. He is a spy for Queen Elizabeth, and a court favorite of his. He writes her famous poem "On Monsieur's Departure." He designs famous buildings. He inspires the great poets and play-writes of the day. Diana and Matthew's characters became too unbelievable and unlikable even after a while.

The best parts of the book were in the present day, showing the effects of Diana and Matthew's time travels. But Harkness never really goes anywhere with these, and it feels like a wasted opportunity.

I finished the book because I felt like I invested so much time already to read the first one, but it wasn't enjoyable and I doubt I will continue on to the third. ( )
  Tess_Elizabeth | May 23, 2017 |
Shadow of Night is the second book in Deborah Harkness’s All Souls Trilogy. It follows the romantic journey of a witch, Diana, and a vampire, Matthew. Along the way, their forbidden love is thwarted from all paranormal sides; the witches are unhappy that Diana is with a vampire; the vampires are unhappy that the strong dark and brooding Matthew is with a witch; and the demons are just generally manic and confused.
***

The start of this book was slow, I have to admit. Although, that might have had something to do with the cliff-hanger-ending of Harkness’s first book, A Discovery of Witches. Diana and Matthew are about to embark on a rather life altering journey. They intend to travel back in time to London, 1590. And this is where Harkness’s academic background shines. Her descriptions of the time period are beautiful and they are also very real. I really enjoy books when they can truly captivate the real essence of a time and/or place.

This book is also where Diana’s character truly transforms. In the first book, I felt that she was very much like a Juliet/Desdemona character: naive, fragile, submissive. Here, in Shadow of Night, Diana embarks on a journey not only to discover her powers as a witch, but to also discover herself. She starts to fight back against some of Matthew’s possessive ways, and in the end, the two meet half way.

When Diana and Matthew are finally ready to return they both realise that they have stayed too long. They are not sure what will happen when they return and whether they have altered history. Again, another cliff-hanger, which has been killing me since I finished the book. But fear not! Harkness’s new book, The Book of Life, comes out July 15, 2014. Thank goodness!

If you want to get started on Harkness’s third book, you can find the first chapter of The Book of Life. Although, if you’re anything like me. I am not reading the first chapter for fear of going insane whilst I wait for July! ( )
  bound2books | Feb 12, 2017 |
I had big expectations after reading the first book and having to wait for the release of this edition. I couldn't wait to delve back into the story. This book didn't disappoint either. And then arrrggghhh .... oh no, another book to complete the trilogy. Again leaving me in suspense. Very clever Ms. Harkness. ( )
  mcgeerhonda | Feb 7, 2017 |

Deborah Harknessprimary authorall editionscalculated
Belanger, FrancescaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goretsky, TalCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The past cannot be cured.
~ Elizazbeth I
Queen of England
To Lacey Baldwin Smith,
master storyteller and historian,
who suggested some time ago that I should think about writing a novel.
We arrived in an undignified heap of witch and vampire.
You're impossible. Stop worrying what other women do. Be your own extraordinary self.
All that Children have need of is love, a grown-up to take responsibility for them, & a soft place to land.
~ Matthew Roydon
It was as Matthew said, Chidren needed love, a reliable source of comfort and an adult willing to take responsiblity for them.
~ Diana Roydon
One should find wholeness in marriage, but it should not be a prison for either party.

"Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown."

A Discovery of Witches, Book One of the magical All Souls Trilogy, introduced Diana Bishop, Oxford scholar and reluctant witch, and the handsome geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont; together they found themselves at the center of a supernatural battle over an enchanted manuscript known as Ashmole 782.

Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches' cliff-hanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew's old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.

A follow-up to the best-selling A Discovery of Witches finds Oxford scholar and reluctant witch Diana and vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont in Elizabethan London, where Diana seeks a magical tutor and Matthew confronts elements from his past at the same time the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.… (more)

Deborah Harkness is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,330,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible