Shadow of night by Deborah E. Harkness

Shadow of night (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Deborah E. Harkness

Member:bethnv
Title:Shadow of night
Authors:Deborah E. Harkness
Info:New York : Viking, 2012.
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read in 2012

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness (2012)

A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness (virtualval2001)
    virtualval2001: 1st installment of All Souls Trilogy
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Time travel, Romance, Historical....

English (174)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (176)
I got through this 700 page book in about 4 days. I found the level of historical detail for the most part interesting and it added to the struggles the main character had in fitting in to their new spot in time. There were a few times when it dragged in the first half of the book, but the second half I found to be much more action driven and well worth getting to. I am interested to see how it will turn out in the third book.
I generally have a cynical view of any book that tries to make time travel a plot point but this did it quite well and it didn't drive me up the wall with logical inconsistency, as I was half worried it would at the end of the previous book. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
Ok Miss Harkness...please do not be long in releasing book three! I was captivated much sooner in this installment of the All Souls Trilogy. I love the aspects of history thrown in, even though I am not a history buff or even much cared for the subject in school. The writing made it interesting and easy to follow. The story was so good, and it was neat to see how Diana and Matthew changed throughout the book. There were also some much more sad parts to this book than the first. All in all, I loved it and I can not wait to read book 3. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
The great fun continued in this second book of the Discovery of Witches series. Filled with wonderful history as Diana learns how to do her magic. ( )
  Lylee | Apr 3, 2016 |
So rich in characters and settings. This is not a fast-paced thriller but something to be fully savored and enjoyed. ( )
  mashiaraqcs | Mar 29, 2016 |
Shadow of Night is the second book in the All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness. I read the first, A Discovery of Witches, last year and, whilst I found it irritating in some respects, the story concept was sufficiently interesting for me to back up for the second instalment to see what she would do next.
Shadow of Night begins exactly where A Discovery of Witches left off. I would highly recommend reading the books in order so you can get a full grasp of events so far.
Matthew and Diana have travelled back to Elizabethan England, the year 1590 to be precise. Here Matthew is Matthew Roydon, a spy for Queen Elizabeth and a member of the School of Night. Other members and friends include Christopher Marlowe, Thomas Harriet and Sir Walter Raleigh. I found this aspect of the book completely fascinating. Deborah Harkness brought these famous historical characters to life on the page. Her background as a historian is evident and her attention to detail cannot be faulted.
The characters are more established in this book and, although Matthew is moody, Diana stands up to him and they have a mature adult relationship.
When this series works well is when Diana is learning to become a witch, and this is something I'd like to see more of.
In all, I liked this, it was better than the first in my opinion and if you like the world of witches and vampires, then it is worth a read. ( )
  Jawin | Mar 26, 2016 |

Deborah Harknessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Belanger, FrancescaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goretsky, TalCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The past cannot be cured.
~ Elizazbeth I
Queen of England
To Lacey Baldwin Smith,
master storyteller and historian,
who suggested some time ago that I should think about writing a novel.
We arrived in an undignified heap of witch and vampire.
You're impossible. Stop worrying what other women do. Be your own extraordinary self.
All that Children have need of is love, a grown-up to take responsibility for them, & a soft place to land.
~ Matthew Roydon
It was as Matthew said, Chidren needed love, a reliable source of comfort and an adult willing to take responsiblity for them.
~ Diana Roydon
One should find wholeness in marriage, but it should not be a prison for either party.

"Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown."

A Discovery of Witches, Book One of the magical All Souls Trilogy, introduced Diana Bishop, Oxford scholar and reluctant witch, and the handsome geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont; together they found themselves at the center of a supernatural battle over an enchanted manuscript known as Ashmole 782.

Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches' cliff-hanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew's old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.

A follow-up to the best-selling A Discovery of Witches finds Oxford scholar and reluctant witch Diana and vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont in Elizabethan London, where Diana seeks a magical tutor and Matthew confronts elements from his past at the same time the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.… (more)

Deborah Harkness is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible