Shadow of night by Deborah E. Harkness

Shadow of night (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Deborah E. Harkness

Member:bethnv
Title:Shadow of night
Authors:Deborah E. Harkness
Info:New York : Viking, 2012.
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read in 2012

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness (2012)

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (virtualval2001)
    virtualval2001: 1st installment of All Souls Trilogy
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Time travel, Romance, Historical....

English (134)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (136)
I read the first book in this series a year or so ago and wasn't overly impressed so I thought no more about it Then I started reading rave reviews of the third book so I decided to read the second. I enjoyed Shadow of Night even if at times I couldn't remember how characters or storylines belonged in the story (ie Matthew's son Marcus and the whole DeClermont/Roydon thing). That being said, I did enjoy this book and have already downloaded the third. ( )
  artwench | Oct 13, 2014 |
Excellent sequel to Discovery of Witches. Impossible to put down. Diana regains her intellect and curiosity and gumption!!! Hooray! And she and the vampire get married and consummate the marriage (about time!!!) ( )
  lhaines56 | Oct 8, 2014 |
More adventures of Matthew and Diana, supernatural power couple. Travel back in time to the 1590s, learn a little about history and suspend your disbelief around magic, vampires, and time travel in general.

GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
Review contains spoilers:

There are incredibly long stretches of this book where nothing at all happens, and the cast of characters is about twice as big as it needs to be. I thought A Discovery of Witches was fun, well paced, and an enjoyable read. This book, however, seems like a bad fanfic of the first installment.

I'm getting incredibly tired of vampires in books that decide to make everything unnecessarily difficult because they need to protect their one true love. Most of the book seemed to be about clumsy communication between all involved parties, and Matthew hiding the truth while constantly professing that he trusts Diana. And Diana just goes along with it. Both of the characters radically change from the first book and become the worst, most shallow versions of themselves.

Also, can someone please explain to me what happens to Past Matthew while Present Matthew is in the past? The book's explanation didn't make any sense to me. It also seemed absurd that with all of the commotion that Matthew and Diana caused, the only repercussions it has on the present are a few insignificant historical objects being unearthed in the present.

I will end up reading the third installment. I want to find out how the series ends, and I sincerely hope that Harkness stays in the present. Time travel and period fiction do not seem to be her forte.
(This review also exists on Goodreads) ( )
  junerain | Aug 27, 2014 |
Diana and Matthew realize to move forward, they must find out about her powers. They travel back in time to England in 1590 at a time when witches are being threatened. Receiving a command from his father Phillipe, Matthew takes Diana to France. There they are officially married and work on trying to awaken Diana's powers. She finds that she is a weaver - a special type of witch who actually creates spells.

The story has moved forward bringing the characters further along in their relationship identifying their connections with others and with the future of the magical world. ( )
  cyderry | Jul 12, 2014 |

Deborah Harknessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Belanger, FrancescaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goretsky, TalCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The past cannot be cured.
~ Elizazbeth I
Queen of England
To Lacey Baldwin Smith,
master storyteller and historian,
who suggested some time ago that I should think about writing a novel.
We arrived in an undignified heap of witch and vampire.
You're impossible. Stop worrying what other women do. Be your own extraordinary self.
All that Children have need of is love, a grown-up to take responsibility for them, & a soft place to land.
~ Matthew Roydon
It was as Matthew said, Chidren needed love, a reliable source of comfort and an adult willing to take responsiblity for them.
~ Diana Roydon
One should find wholeness in marriage, but it should not be a prison for either party.

"Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown."

A Discovery of Witches, Book One of the magical All Souls Trilogy, introduced Diana Bishop, Oxford scholar and reluctant witch, and the handsome geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont; together they found themselves at the center of a supernatural battle over an enchanted manuscript known as Ashmole 782.

Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches' cliff-hanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew's old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.

A follow-up to the best-selling A Discovery of Witches finds Oxford scholar and reluctant witch Diana and vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont in Elizabethan London, where Diana seeks a magical tutor and Matthew confronts elements from his past at the same time the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.… (more)

Deborah Harkness is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

1395 wanted8 pay4 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible