De schaduw van de nacht by Deborah Harkness

De schaduw van de nacht (2012)

by Deborah Harkness

Member:Boekenbeestje
Title:De schaduw van de nacht
Authors:Deborah Harkness
Info:De Boekerij

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness (2012)

A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness (virtualval2001)
    virtualval2001: 1st installment of All Souls Trilogy
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Time travel, Romance, Historical....

English (183)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (185)
Fun follow up to Discovery of Witches. I particularly liked that Walter Raleigh, Christopher Marlow, Willie Shakespeare, and other real characters of 1591 were contemporary characters in this travel back in time story. The complexity and historic accuracy of Harkness' story are amazing. ( )
  asawyer | Sep 9, 2016 |
Beware of some spoilers? I don't know.

Oh...this book....this loooong amazing book.

At times I loved it (I did love most of the first in the trilogy) and at other times I wanted to tear it up and chuck it out the window. But then...I don't know.

At any rate, here's what I loved:

- The firedrake. Okay, so it got a little annoying at times but I loved every scene in which Diana actually got to use her magic. She was more independent, powerful, and admirable in these scenes, especially when she was without Matthew. Don't worry, I'll get to that.

- I did finish it in the wee hours of the morning. That was half because I was enjoying it and half because I didn't want to have to read it the next day because it was so bothersome.

- It was well written (for the most part).

- The humor. Oh Gallowglass. You make me giggle.

- Ashmole 782... I have a thing for books about books, which is one of my favorite components of this series. That is all that's going to keep me going to book 3. This part of Book 2 gave it life and is, besides Diana's magical schooling, the only thing worth reading some of those historical passages.

There are a few more things I liked, but these are the ones I found most worth mentioning.

Now...the things that made me claw my own eyes out:

- Dialogue. Oh, good God, does no one realize that there is no trace of Elizabethan English in this?

- Shakespeare. NO NO NO NO NO. NOOO. You cannot throw William Shakespeare into a HF novel and not address the mystery surrounding him. It's like he's just hanging out talking to other historical characters in the novel. We don't even know if this guy was ONE guy! You can't just... oh dear I should stop now.

- That damn queen of England. Oh my good gracious this book was overly long. Get an editor. Get a better dose of how good of a writer you are. There is not enough substance to this novel to make it more than 500 pages! Nothing much happens yet she still found a way to drag it out. And yes, one way is by tossing Elizabeth into the mix. Why? Just why would we have diplomatic discussions and be forced to leave England, then Prague, then back to England.

- Matthew. I abhor this man, this vampire, this character. He is a misogynist. Yes, I realize that's just how thousand year old vampires are, but no. Use your damn author's license and make the man a nice guy. The dominance made me gag. His protectiveness was appropriate at times, and obnoxious at others.

- Did I mention this book is excessively long? It really could have been 300 pages.

- As much as I loved seeing him...Stephen Proctor. He seemed like he'd been flung in there, just to, may I say it, make it longer. He has his purpose. Diana misses him, there are things he can tell her, he's good comic relief, but still. Is that necessary to the plot?

- And that was the main problem with all of these things and the length. What is the purpose of each of these things that make it longer? [b:Anna Karenina|15823480|Anna Karenina|Leo Tolstoy|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1352422904s/15823480.jpg|2507928], as real literature, had scenes in which everything (almost) was important. Everything is put there for a reason. And that makes this one frivolous novel.

It also makes this novel fall into that terrible category of MID-LOW fantasy. This is not high fantasy, but it certainly cannot be called crap. It has so much goodness in it. Yet I still could not fully love this one, and for that I am highly repentant. ( )
  cemagoc | Aug 8, 2016 |
3.5/5

This book had a great ending, but the first two parts were incredibly slow. I was having a hard time getting through it until I reached about 250 pages. ( )
  Ahtoosa | Aug 3, 2016 |
I'm really enjoying this series. This book starts where the first book leaves off. Once I got into the story, the first book came back to me. I always find a forget some of the plot and characters when there is some time between books. I felt this book stayed at a very good pace. It brought forward the dangers of 1590. I don't think I would have wanted to live back then as a woman or as a witch. Women were more like objects. There is danger around every corner and Matthew and Diana need to be careful that they don't change history. But how can you not change history.

I can't wait for the third book and I know once that book is done, I will really miss Matthew and Diana. These are characters that will stay with me for years to come. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
These are the smartest, most engaging supernatural books I've ever read. Harkness is a genius with words. Her knowledge of history is mind-boggling... and I love it. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |

Deborah Harknessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Belanger, FrancescaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goretsky, TalCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The past cannot be cured.
~ Elizazbeth I
Queen of England
To Lacey Baldwin Smith,
master storyteller and historian,
who suggested some time ago that I should think about writing a novel.
We arrived in an undignified heap of witch and vampire.
You're impossible. Stop worrying what other women do. Be your own extraordinary self.
All that Children have need of is love, a grown-up to take responsibility for them, & a soft place to land.
~ Matthew Roydon
It was as Matthew said, Chidren needed love, a reliable source of comfort and an adult willing to take responsiblity for them.
~ Diana Roydon
One should find wholeness in marriage, but it should not be a prison for either party.

"Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown."

A Discovery of Witches, Book One of the magical All Souls Trilogy, introduced Diana Bishop, Oxford scholar and reluctant witch, and the handsome geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont; together they found themselves at the center of a supernatural battle over an enchanted manuscript known as Ashmole 782.

Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches' cliff-hanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew's old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.

A follow-up to the best-selling A Discovery of Witches finds Oxford scholar and reluctant witch Diana and vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont in Elizabethan London, where Diana seeks a magical tutor and Matthew confronts elements from his past at the same time the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.… (more)

Deborah Harkness is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,238,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible