De schaduw van de nacht by Deborah Harkness

De schaduw van de nacht (2012)

by Deborah Harkness

Member:Boekenbeestje
Title:De schaduw van de nacht
Authors:Deborah Harkness
Info:De Boekerij

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness (2012)

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (virtualval2001)
    virtualval2001: 1st installment of All Souls Trilogy
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Time travel, Romance, Historical....

English (137)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (139)
Good book - but sometimes reasoning behind the character's decisions break down.

SPOILER:

The main character is becoming continually more annoying. The assumptions she makes about her magic get forgotten and she has to start over. That can get old. ( )
  remikit | Jan 4, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book, and felt the author enjoyed writing it. A couple of unexpected moments I didn't see coming! Though I had a couple of teeny gripes, I really enjoyed it and cannot wait for book three. (I did write a longer post on my blog but thought it too long to post here) ( )
  KVHardy | Jan 2, 2015 |
I liked the first one more and found myself skimming a lot of this one. I did love the parts where Diana was learning her magic but found parts of it dragged. ( )
  carebear10712 | Dec 31, 2014 |
I read the first book in this series a year or so ago and wasn't overly impressed so I thought no more about it Then I started reading rave reviews of the third book so I decided to read the second. I enjoyed Shadow of Night even if at times I couldn't remember how characters or storylines belonged in the story (ie Matthew's son Marcus and the whole DeClermont/Roydon thing). That being said, I did enjoy this book and have already downloaded the third. ( )
  artwench | Oct 13, 2014 |
Excellent sequel to Discovery of Witches. Impossible to put down. Diana regains her intellect and curiosity and gumption!!! Hooray! And she and the vampire get married and consummate the marriage (about time!!!) ( )
  lhaines56 | Oct 8, 2014 |

Deborah Harknessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Belanger, FrancescaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goretsky, TalCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The past cannot be cured.
~ Elizazbeth I
Queen of England
To Lacey Baldwin Smith,
master storyteller and historian,
who suggested some time ago that I should think about writing a novel.
We arrived in an undignified heap of witch and vampire.
You're impossible. Stop worrying what other women do. Be your own extraordinary self.
All that Children have need of is love, a grown-up to take responsibility for them, & a soft place to land.
~ Matthew Roydon
It was as Matthew said, Chidren needed love, a reliable source of comfort and an adult willing to take responsiblity for them.
~ Diana Roydon
One should find wholeness in marriage, but it should not be a prison for either party.

"Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown."

A Discovery of Witches, Book One of the magical All Souls Trilogy, introduced Diana Bishop, Oxford scholar and reluctant witch, and the handsome geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont; together they found themselves at the center of a supernatural battle over an enchanted manuscript known as Ashmole 782.

Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches' cliff-hanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew's old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.

A follow-up to the best-selling A Discovery of Witches finds Oxford scholar and reluctant witch Diana and vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont in Elizabethan London, where Diana seeks a magical tutor and Matthew confronts elements from his past at the same time the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.… (more)

Deborah Harkness is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

1395 wanted8 pay4 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,096,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible