De schaduw van de nacht by Deborah Harkness

De schaduw van de nacht (2012)

by Deborah Harkness

Member:Boekenbeestje
Title:De schaduw van de nacht
Authors:Deborah Harkness
Info:De Boekerij

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness (2012)

A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness (virtualval2001)
    virtualval2001: 1st installment of All Souls Trilogy
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Time travel, Romance, Historical....

English (169)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (171)
Loved the historical detail of going back to 1590 London and Prague. Diana gets to learn more about being a witch and of course gets to meet lots of famous people along the way. Matthew has some surprises for Diana but they all work out in the end. A great middle book, can't wait to see what happens in the last of the trilogy. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I enjoyed this story but found the writing a bit inconsistent and disjointed. Scenes changed too quickly, without any lead in and were often improbable. The characters seem to develop and then regress so at times they were frustrating. Still enjoyable but I felt it was slightly shoddily written. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
Yeah, I really didn't dig the Elizabethan England setting in this one at all. Romantically, the climax felt a little unfulfilling and overall the plot is starting to go from fantastic to downright unbelievable. Diana is turning into the holy grail of witches, i.e. this thing that we thought was a myth, oh look, Diana can do that in her sleep! And this other thing that hasn't happened in hundreds of years, oh of course, Diana can do that too! But, she still comes across as having a complete lack of confidence in herself. It's getting old. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
This book is the second in the Trilogy that as of now consists of A Discovery of Witches. In this one, Diana and Matthew continue the search for a long lost alchemy text as well as trying to find someone to help Diana unlock her powers as a witch, however they aren't in the twenty-first century but rather in 1590, and in England, during the height of witchhunts in Europe.

I think overall this book was enjoyable, and I really wanted to read it, but life got in the way, and its over 500 pages, it took some time to finish it. I would recommend this book/series to anyone that is interested in this genre of fiction. I mean who doesn't love a good story about forbidden love and vampires ( )
  alwelker | Jan 26, 2016 |

alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |

Deborah Harknessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Belanger, FrancescaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goretsky, TalCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The past cannot be cured.
~ Elizazbeth I
Queen of England
To Lacey Baldwin Smith,
master storyteller and historian,
who suggested some time ago that I should think about writing a novel.
We arrived in an undignified heap of witch and vampire.
You're impossible. Stop worrying what other women do. Be your own extraordinary self.
All that Children have need of is love, a grown-up to take responsibility for them, & a soft place to land.
~ Matthew Roydon
It was as Matthew said, Chidren needed love, a reliable source of comfort and an adult willing to take responsiblity for them.
~ Diana Roydon
One should find wholeness in marriage, but it should not be a prison for either party.

"Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown."

A Discovery of Witches, Book One of the magical All Souls Trilogy, introduced Diana Bishop, Oxford scholar and reluctant witch, and the handsome geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont; together they found themselves at the center of a supernatural battle over an enchanted manuscript known as Ashmole 782.

Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches' cliff-hanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew's old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.

A follow-up to the best-selling A Discovery of Witches finds Oxford scholar and reluctant witch Diana and vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont in Elizabethan London, where Diana seeks a magical tutor and Matthew confronts elements from his past at the same time the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.… (more)

Deborah Harkness is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,194,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible