De schaduw van de nacht by Deborah Harkness

De schaduw van de nacht (2012)

by Deborah Harkness

Member:Boekenbeestje
Title:De schaduw van de nacht
Authors:Deborah Harkness
Info:De Boekerij

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness (2012)

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (virtualval2001)
    virtualval2001: 1st installment of All Souls Trilogy
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Time travel, Romance, Historical....

English (188)  Dutch (1)  All (189)
Shadow of Night is the second book in Deborah Harkness’s All Souls Trilogy. It follows the romantic journey of a witch, Diana, and a vampire, Matthew. Along the way, their forbidden love is thwarted from all paranormal sides; the witches are unhappy that Diana is with a vampire; the vampires are unhappy that the strong dark and brooding Matthew is with a witch; and the demons are just generally manic and confused.
***

The start of this book was slow, I have to admit. Although, that might have had something to do with the cliff-hanger-ending of Harkness’s first book, A Discovery of Witches. Diana and Matthew are about to embark on a rather life altering journey. They intend to travel back in time to London, 1590. And this is where Harkness’s academic background shines. Her descriptions of the time period are beautiful and they are also very real. I really enjoy books when they can truly captivate the real essence of a time and/or place.

This book is also where Diana’s character truly transforms. In the first book, I felt that she was very much like a Juliet/Desdemona character: naive, fragile, submissive. Here, in Shadow of Night, Diana embarks on a journey not only to discover her powers as a witch, but to also discover herself. She starts to fight back against some of Matthew’s possessive ways, and in the end, the two meet half way.

When Diana and Matthew are finally ready to return they both realise that they have stayed too long. They are not sure what will happen when they return and whether they have altered history. Again, another cliff-hanger, which has been killing me since I finished the book. But fear not! Harkness’s new book, The Book of Life, comes out July 15, 2014. Thank goodness!

If you want to get started on Harkness’s third book, you can find the first chapter of The Book of Life. Although, if you’re anything like me. I am not reading the first chapter for fear of going insane whilst I wait for July! ( )
  bound2books | Feb 12, 2017 |
I had big expectations after reading the first book and having to wait for the release of this edition. I couldn't wait to delve back into the story. This book didn't disappoint either. And then arrrggghhh .... oh no, another book to complete the trilogy. Again leaving me in suspense. Very clever Ms. Harkness. ( )
  mcgeerhonda | Feb 7, 2017 |
This volume is set in the late 16th century with characters such as Christopher Marlowe, Sir Walter Raleigh, and Queen Elizabeth. Possibly more enchanting than A Discovery of Witches. So much fun if you are a cultural history buff. ( )
  DowntownLibrarian | Dec 19, 2016 |
I had this book sitting on my e-reader just waiting for me to dive in for-ever, but I kept putting in off because for one thing it was the second book in a trilogy (not always the greatest in my opinion) and secondly it was over 500 pages. Boy, was I silly to wait so long because this book was even better than the first book, 'A Discovery of Witches'!

The story starts off right where we left off, our witch and vampire, Diana and Matthew have traveled through time and ended up in Woodstock, England circa 1590. Harkness is such an excellent writer that she is able to describe their tumble back in time and make you see how the old world must have appeared to first time visitor Diana. Her descriptions of the dwellings, customs, language and landscape make the reader feel as if they are back in time as well.
As a lover of history, I appreciate the research that the author has done so that a history lesson is weaved seamlessly into the story.
I love the brushes and interactions the characters have with notable names of the period, some of them familiar others not so much. Throughout my reading I've run to Google more than once to find out more about one of these real life characters!

The book wrapped up a few loose threads, but of course left the door open for the third novel, which I'm hoping comes out soon!
I highly recommend this series, even if you aren't much of a fantasy reader.
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
Shadow of Night
4 Stars

The adventures of Matthew Clairmont, a centuries old vampire, and Diana Bishop, a powerful witch with unruly powers, continue as the two travel back in time to the 16th century to locate the mysterious Medieval manuscript, Ashmole 782, and find themselves enmeshed in the political and personal intrigues of the time.

Series note: Shadow of Night begins immediately where A Discovery of Witches left off, and as such the trilogy must be read in order otherwise important points will be missed.

Despite its length and the need for some intense editing (the historical detail is quite excessive at times), Shadow of Night is an incredible mix of history, science and romance that, together with the elaborate description, fantastic imagery and fascinating symbolism, make for a compelling sequel.

As in the first book, the world building is immersive as Diana and Matthew arrive in Elizabethan London and must cope not only with the realties of life at a time when witches and other creatures were feared and persecuted, but also with the difficulties posed by Diana’s unstable powers and the ghosts of Matthew’s past, which threaten their fragile romance.

As the tale progresses, however, Diana and Matthew’s relationship goes from strength to strength as the two learn more about each other. The true nature of Diana’s powers are ultimately revealed and she grows more confident with her abilities while Matthew comes to realize that his fearless and stubborn spouse is a force to be reckoned with. The secrets of Matthew’s past lives are also revealed and he must lay his ghosts to rest if he and Diana are to return to the present and face the travails there together.

The secondary cast is a who’s who list of historical figures whose personalities are an amazing amalgam of fact and fiction adding another layer of realism and authenticity to the supernatural storyline (many thanks to the Wikipedia for providing essential background reading). There are also glimpses at the effects of Diana and Matthew’s excursion on the present and I look forward to seeing whether there will be any significant consequences in the third and final installment.

In terms of the time travel component, the paradoxes inherent to this genre can be exceedingly problematic and often ruin a story, but Harkness handles it all with a deft hand and everything comes together cohesively by the end.

All in all, The All Souls trilogy is shaping into an original and unique reading experience that is well worth the effort for fans of both historical fiction, urban fantasy and paranormal romance. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |

Deborah Harknessprimary authorall editionscalculated
Belanger, FrancescaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goretsky, TalCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The past cannot be cured.
~ Elizazbeth I
Queen of England
To Lacey Baldwin Smith,
master storyteller and historian,
who suggested some time ago that I should think about writing a novel.
We arrived in an undignified heap of witch and vampire.
You're impossible. Stop worrying what other women do. Be your own extraordinary self.
All that Children have need of is love, a grown-up to take responsibility for them, & a soft place to land.
~ Matthew Roydon
It was as Matthew said, Chidren needed love, a reliable source of comfort and an adult willing to take responsiblity for them.
~ Diana Roydon
One should find wholeness in marriage, but it should not be a prison for either party.

"Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown."

A Discovery of Witches, Book One of the magical All Souls Trilogy, introduced Diana Bishop, Oxford scholar and reluctant witch, and the handsome geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont; together they found themselves at the center of a supernatural battle over an enchanted manuscript known as Ashmole 782.

Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches' cliff-hanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew's old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.

A follow-up to the best-selling A Discovery of Witches finds Oxford scholar and reluctant witch Diana and vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont in Elizabethan London, where Diana seeks a magical tutor and Matthew confronts elements from his past at the same time the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.… (more)

Deborah Harkness is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,316,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible