Shadow of Night: A Novel (All Souls Trilogy)…

Shadow of Night: A Novel (All Souls Trilogy) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Deborah Harkness

Member:OneMorePage
Title:Shadow of Night: A Novel (All Souls Trilogy)
Authors:Deborah Harkness
Info:Viking Adult (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 592 pages
Tags:Vampires, Witches, Demons, Time Travel, London, 16th Century, Read 2013

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness (2012)

A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness (virtualval2001)
    virtualval2001: 1st installment of All Souls Trilogy
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Time travel, Romance, Historical....

English (150)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (152)
At the end of Discovery of Witches Diana Bishop was still testing her powers and had just discovered that she is a “time walker”. In this second book of the All Souls Trilogy we land in Elizabethan England with Diana and her vampire husband Matthew. Thinking they have escaped the dangers plaguing them in the 21st century and hoping to discover the whereabouts of the elusive grimoire, Ashmole 782 Diana and Matthew instead find themselves trying to evade the 16th century witch-hunters. Luckily Diana is student of history as well as alchemy, so she quickly adapts to life in the past and seems quite unfazed in meeting such historical figures as Wm. Shakespeare, Christopher Marlowe, Queen Elizabeth I, et al. The reader is led on a merry romp through Europe in the quest not only for Ashmole 782 but also to find a witch willing to help Diana with her powers and, most dreaded of all, to introduce Diana to Matthew’s father.

Once again, I feel Ms. Harkness has done her homework, as this book is brimming with historical characters and facts about Europe in the 1500’s. I did enjoy the inclusion of well-known people from the period as well as all the history, yet felt it over-populated the book and that took away some of the charm that the first book possessed. In Discovery of Witches I really liked getting to know Diana and Matthew, whereas in this book I found myself getting a little bored (frustrated?) with their constant “issues”. Despite that I still enjoyed the book a great deal and will be standing in line to pick up the third instalment when it is released.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Much better than the first installment in this series. The characters are starting to become more fleshed out and less archetypal. The inclusion of new characters gives the story some much needed intrigue. However, I still have not fallen in love with the series. Also, the time travel stuff doesn't work for me - um when the displaced Matthew comes back - how exactly is that going to work. Still, left me wanting to find out more, so not too horrible. Good for those who loved Twilight & for those who are only part time readers (shit that sounds condescending - sorry) ( )
  mountie9 | Jul 7, 2015 |
Even better than the first! Excellently researched novel, full of surprises and with an ending that felt natural. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
I am not one to pick up every vampire book, especially the popular ones - you know who you are. Although the idea is so far fetched, Harkness does a nice job with this story. I was pleased to find this book at the library book sale as I enjoyed the first one, a Discovery of Witches. I really enjoyed the period settings in this book, Harkness did her research! ( )
  jenngv | Jun 25, 2015 |
I can't wait to finish the series! ( )
  smilezforbooks | Jun 6, 2015 |

Deborah Harknessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Belanger, FrancescaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goretsky, TalCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The past cannot be cured.
~ Elizazbeth I
Queen of England
To Lacey Baldwin Smith,
master storyteller and historian,
who suggested some time ago that I should think about writing a novel.
We arrived in an undignified heap of witch and vampire.
You're impossible. Stop worrying what other women do. Be your own extraordinary self.
All that Children have need of is love, a grown-up to take responsibility for them, & a soft place to land.
~ Matthew Roydon
It was as Matthew said, Chidren needed love, a reliable source of comfort and an adult willing to take responsiblity for them.
~ Diana Roydon
One should find wholeness in marriage, but it should not be a prison for either party.

"Together we lifted our feet and stepped into the unknown."

A Discovery of Witches, Book One of the magical All Souls Trilogy, introduced Diana Bishop, Oxford scholar and reluctant witch, and the handsome geneticist and vampire Matthew Clairmont; together they found themselves at the center of a supernatural battle over an enchanted manuscript known as Ashmole 782.

Now, picking up from A Discovery of Witches' cliff-hanger ending, Shadow of Night plunges Diana and Matthew into Elizabethan London, a world of spies, subterfuge, and a coterie of Matthew's old friends, the mysterious School of Night that includes Christopher Marlowe and Walter Raleigh. Here, Diana must locate a witch to tutor her in magic, Matthew is forced to confront a past he thought he had put to rest, and the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.

A follow-up to the best-selling A Discovery of Witches finds Oxford scholar and reluctant witch Diana and vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont in Elizabethan London, where Diana seeks a magical tutor and Matthew confronts elements from his past at the same time the mystery of Ashmole 782 deepens.… (more)

Deborah Harkness is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,419,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible