Finder Library: Volume 2 by Carla Speed…

Finder Library: Volume 2

by Carla Speed McNeil

I had bought these books in Volumes 1 and 2. They had not been recommended nor had I known of their existence prior. Having been in the perfect situation to have an unexpectant, and completely unbiased read I set to work on Volume 1. I found at first that it was hard to follow. The art was beautiful and the characters charming. I found drawn towards Jager and wanting to know more about him as new details came into the story. I was never disappointed by eventually having something explained, but there was enough left out at times that kept me craving more. Volume one was a very straight forward good read. A nice adventure. Now that I was comfortable by the world that "Speed" had created, I was very excited to start Volume 2.

Volume 2 delighted me by giving me everything that Volume 1 had not. It was made up of a number of stories, each short but each revealing more and more about this fantasy landscape and its people. What was so much more important at anypoint in time (I felt) was promoting a feeling, rather then the story. In such, Volume 2, more so then Volume 1, I found myself driven to think, and this I find to be a most important quality in a good read.

Overall the Finder series is as a whole, immersive. You will enjoy being lost in a foreign landscape filled with tribal people, exotic cultures, and sci-fi esque surroundings. Your thoughts will be given up to the will of a talented author. A valuable read if ever there was one. ( )
  scronline | Jun 9, 2012 |
ARC provided by NetGalley

This second volume of the Finder library brings together four more story arcs in Carla Speed McNeil's beautiful and intricate world. There are two major story lines, the first which focuses on Margi White's dream world that others can visit....that exists nowhere other than in his head. But what happens when the world gets hacked and how does death in that world affect the real world. The second major story lines focuses on a young woman that desires nothing more than to make the world a better place in her own way, through love and compassion.

The Finder library is difficult to describe because there is so much jam packed into the stories, both in the writing and the illustration. They're complex, sometimes dense, but completely and utterly captivating. Each time you turn the page there are new things to catch your eyes with the illustrations, whether it be the characters themselves or the scenery in which they're visiting. There are just so many little details hidden that each time you reread the book you'll see something new. McNeil displays a deft hand at capturing movement, light, sound, and joy all within her line work; and it's easy to connect with the world that she captures.

Even though Finder is called science-fiction, it's not the science fiction that most people are familiar with--aliens, space ships, set a far distant future where good battles evil. Instead she's created a world that is both familiar and alien at the same time and reveals more and more of it as the stories continue. The characters themselves at times seem to create the world around them and seem to delight in sharing the hidden details of their world with us. Each story is jam packed with information, which at times can be overwhelming due to the amount of information. But this just makes me want to go back and reread the stories again. Even though each story seems like a separate tale, as McNeil releases more and more of the story its clear that they all build upon each other.

I highly recommend this series. It's imaginative, different, and the story and illustration will capture your attention and not let it go. ( )
  zzshupinga | Jan 16, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159582653X, Paperback)

Since 1996, Finder has set the bar for science-fiction storytelling, with a lush, intricate world and compelling characters. Now, Dark Horse is proud to present four more story arcs of Carla Speed McNeil's groundbreaking series in a single, affordably priced volume! The second volume of the Finder Library showcases the brilliant breadth of McNeil's world, from the weird, otherworldly Dream Sequence, through the lighthearted romance of Mystery Date and noir murder mystery The Rescuers, to the dark humor of Five Crazy Women.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:04 -0400)

In a future where society is split between those who live in the large, technologically-advanced domed cities dominated by clans and those who eke out a hunter-gatherer existence elsewhere in what is left of man's lost civilizations, Magri White has dreams that others can visit, but then his dream world gets hacked.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible