The World's Creepiest Places by Bob…

The World's Creepiest Places

by Bob Curran

Originally Reviewed at: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating:4.5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source:NetGalley
Reviewer:Heather

The World’s Creepiest Places is a rather fun, and interesting compilation of, you guessed it, the world’s creepiest places. This has been rather exciting for me to read, because I love both the paranormal as well as history. Even if you’re not a heavy reader, each place is about a chapter long, so you can read up at your own pace.

What I really enjoyed was the perspective the author took. He doesn’t just tell you about the places. No, he goes in depth into the history surrounding the eerie feelings, or sightings at each location. If psychics, myth-busters, or the like have done studies, he also includes their findings too.

Travel back into time as the legends, myths, and ghost stories are retold from a fresh angle. You will not be disappointed. If you’re like me, you’ll also find yourself planning your bucket list around the fabulously haunted lands, buildings, and ruins.

I think it’s plain as day that I’ve really enjoyed this book. I typically don’t read non-fiction, because in my opinion, it’s boring. I loved the short chapters, but they weren’t short on information either. If you enjoy real ghost stories, or even history, I think you’d enjoy this book. Just keep in mind it’s not meant to scare or freak you out. Instead it’s meant to inform, and make you think. Are these places really haunted? Or do we develop certain feelings around places because of their history? ( )
  momgamerwriter | Jun 16, 2012 |
Who does not like to be frightened? Why do we all stand in line to ride the 'thrill' rides at amusement parks?
This book does not disappoint. Bob Curran delivers a wonderful compilation of the 'creepiest places' around the world. He explains the folklore of each place in an objective manner.

He begins the book with a story of a decrepit home near his apartment. It is a worn down old house. He is led to believe a murder may have taken place there. After this information, the author explains that the house takes on a more sinister appearance. He later finds that no such murder occurs. Someone purchases the house and restores it. Point? Perception is everything.

The cover of this book alone is enough to put the reader into the right frame of mind to read this book. A creepy old home, surrounded by moonlight and fog. Love the cover. Loved the book. I love to read about scary places. As I read, I could almost hear a dark, deep voice reading along with me. Narrating the passages.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys folklore or just a fun creepy story. The book is broken into sections. Each section tells the story of a scary, spooky place. Cemeteries, houses, castles, and morbid, bizarre people. Some you may have heard of, some will be completely new to you. Read it on a dark night for the full effect! A fun and enjoyable read. ( )
  ljldml | Jun 3, 2012 |
When we think of creepy places like graveyards, decrepit churches and abandoned castles, we often feel a chill run down our spines. We ask ourselves if ghosts, goblins, vampires and demons really exist. Do people that visit these places really see these things or is it just a figment of their imagination? Dr. Bob Curran traveled all around the world to find places where hauntings and tales of the night are told from one generation to the next. Readers are enlightened by his tales of discovery.

Bachelors Grove in Chicago Illinois has a cemetery with a very interesting history. This site is haunted by a phantom known as “White Lady.” She wanders the cemetery at night, sometimes with an infant in her arms. Actual photos of this mysterious phantom do exist. Bachelors Grove is also known as a dumping ground for bodies during the Gangster Era. Several of Al Capone's victims had been dumped in the lake by the cemetery. Many other mysteries are tied to this cemetery and the lake.

Germany hosted towns where witches were sought out and burned. Towns like Coburg, Herborn and Hoffhiem Idstein and many more. At Wildensen Castle near Leibertingen, witches burned at the top of the towers. Many of the towers were prisons predominately aimed at women. These sites are haunted by supernatural beings. Some visitors claimed to hear screams and shouting. Some claim to see figures that vanish quickly.

At Wexford Hall in Ireland, exorcisms were performed. Stories have been told of a dark stormy night and a strange visitor. The devil had played cards with an unknowing family. When discovered he disappeared in a puff of smoke. Strange incidents occurred so regularly the family had an exorcism to rid them of the demon. Father Thomas Broaders fought against the demonic force. The majority of exorcisms in Ireland have gone unrecorded.

As you can tell, Curran's visits to various sites around the globe uncover the folklore of these creepy sites. He also researches the history of the eras and lists facts about these various sites and the people that lived there. Readers will be surprised to find that some of these locations are closer to them than they might have thought. Immediately readers will be pulled into these tales and find themselves looking over their shoulders. The illustrations by Ian Daniels are eery and give great insight on what many might have seen. ( )
  KristiBernard | Dec 8, 2011 |

"Not just haunted places, but sites where ancient forces still hold sway. Where are these places, and why do they terrify us?''--P. [4] of cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,742,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible