Back to Work: Why We Need Smart Government…

Back to Work: Why We Need Smart Government for a Strong Economy (edition 2011)

by Bill Clinton (Author)

156None77,259 (3.76)2
Member:Nodosaurus
Title:Back to Work: Why We Need Smart Government for a Strong Economy
Authors:Bill Clinton (Author)
Info:Knopf (2011), Edition: First Edition, First Printing, Hardcover, 208 pages
Collections:Your library, Philosophy, Read
Rating:***
Tags:Bill Clinton, philosophy, government, economy, politics, taxes, employment, current affairs, policy, read

Back to Work: Why We Need Smart Government for a Strong Economy by Bill Clinton (Author)

Recently added byjkraemer99, private library, Dureo, NatureGeek, sanicki, TCK, JSMEinstein, culbertsonne

Clinton makes a return to politics as an (elder?) statesman, making a fiery criticism of anti-government policies, and thus offering a wide set of new policy settings, varied and diverse, drawn from numerous fields. He claims Democratic failures in 2010 were partially due to inability to form a united front and present a coherent message to the voting populace - a not unreasonable assessment.

Conjures up memories of his old presidency. A distant dream from the current time - but far from being the end.

Some of these ideas seem brilliant, some vague, and a few (the trade agreements with Panama, S. Korea, etc.) are already in progress.

After all, why not just try everything, and see what sticks? ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
Bill CLinton makes the case for a “right-sized” government. Our government has jobs to do that require certain resources and costs, and that too much or too little will adversely affect it. He discusses waste that comes from resource mismanagement and people playing politics.

The book looks at government over the past few years, with a few glances into the past. He keeps returns to attack the small government movement, but he is not always partisan in his attacks nor in his praise. He always returns briefly to the subject of jobs on each issue he addresses.

The last chapter addresses changes he believes would move our country forward.

The book is interesting, but either won’t provide a lot of new information or the reader won’t be ready to accept it. I can’t say I’d recommend it to many people. ( )
  Nodosaurus | Nov 21, 2012 |
I thought Bill Clinton's book was quite well done. There were a few pats on the back and a few small jabs at the antigovernment tea party types, but all in all this book was a fantastic explanation of the current economic crisis and some ideas on how to get ourselves out of it. Love him or hate him, Bill Clinton is an incredibly intelligent man with a great deal of good ideas and a knack for explaining things simply and clearly. While slightly left-leaning, the book is actually incredibly bi-partisan in its explanations and ideas, and I think that's particularly valuable at an incredibly ideologically divisive time such as now. I think this is an incredibly valuable book for anybody hoping to understand what is going on with the economic crisis in America and seeks solutions to our current problems and a path towards a better future for America. ( )
1 vote crazylilcuban | Dec 29, 2011 |
I wrote this book because I love my country and I'm concerned about our future.

President Bill Clinton gives us his views on the challenges facing the United States today and why government matters—presenting his ideas on restoring economic growth, job creation, financial responsibility, resolving the mortgage crisis, and pursuing a strategy to get us "back in the future business.” He explains how we got into the current economic crisis, and offers specific recommendations on how we can put people back to work, increase bank lending and corporate investment, double our exports, restore our manufacturing base, and create new businesses. He supports President Obama’s emphasis on green technology, saying that changing the way we produce and consume energy is the strategy most likely to spark a fast-growing economy while enhancing our national security.

Clinton also stresses that we need a strong private sector and a smart government working together to restore prosperity and progress, demonstrating that whenever we’ve given in to the temptation to blame government for all our problems, we’ve lost our ability to produce sustained economic growth and shared prosperity.

Clinton writes, “There is simply no evidence that we can succeed in the twenty-first century with an antigovernment strategy,” based on “a philosophy grounded in ‘you’re on your own’ rather than ‘we’re all in this together.’ ” He believes that conflict between government and the private sector has proved to be good politics but has produced bad policies, giving us a weak economy with not enough jobs, growing income inequality and poverty, and a decline in our competitive position. In the real world, cooperation works much better than conflict, and “Americans need victories in real life.”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:10 -0400)

The former president offers his views on the causes of the current economic situation, explains why he believes a strong private sector working together with the government makes the best recipe for prosperity, and recommends policies.

88 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,464,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible