Londoners: The Days and Nights of London Now…

Londoners: The Days and Nights of London Now - as Told by Those Who Love… (edition 2012)

by Craig Taylor

284None39,440 (3.78)26
Member:kkb
Title:Londoners: The Days and Nights of London Now - as Told by Those Who Love it, Hate it, Live it, Left it and Long for it
Authors:Craig Taylor
Info:Granta Publications Ltd (2012), Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2012

Londoners: The Days and Nights of London Now--As Told by Those Who Love It, Hate It, Live It, Left It, and Long for It by Craig Taylor

This book brought back a lot of memories but I think it also must capture London as it is now. I lived there 20 years ago and spent significant time there 10 years ago, though I haven't been back in a while. You get a sense of both continuity and change when reading the interviews that make up this book; I was especially interested to read accounts from subjects who had lived in the city a long time. Even just in the past 20 years there has been massive change. There were areas when I was living there that you just WOULD NOT go and now you read about them in travel mags as hip locations.

Londoners and former Londoners would really enjoy this book. I would say even if you are just going for a holiday, it would be worth reading. Taylor notes in the introduction that it's impossible to out-Ackroyd Ackroyd on the subject of London (agreed), but this is such a different kind of project that it would make a nice complement. ( )
  sansmerci | Jan 15, 2014 |
Stopped at page 198 for now.
  liz.mabry | Sep 11, 2013 |
Stories of all sorts of different people who make up the wonder of London ( )
  jon1lambert | Oct 6, 2012 |
Book Title: "Londoners”
Author: Craig Taylor
Published By: Ecco Book an imprint of Harper Collins
Age Recommended: 17+
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 4.5

Review: I have always wanted to go to London, to walk the streets of England and see exactly how they live there. I still have the desire to go, perhaps more now than ever before. I can say that reading Craig Taylor’s book, “Londoners” was almost like being there. The stories are fantastic and vibrant the writing is fluid and keeps you interested. This is truly a great book! ( )
  GMTAPublishing | Jun 30, 2012 |
Londoners. An excellent concept for a book. I had great expectations but was disappointed. This compendium of 83 interviews ( and 400 pages) of Londoners seemed a sure thing, and in fact it delivered some excellent commentary by the subjects, but rarely. In too many cases, one could have scratched the word "London" in the discussion and replaced it with "Philadelphia" or 'Cairo' without being any less factual. So, some interesting subjects, but it didn't deliver the promised insight into London life, the London experience, etc. etc. Perhaps there were six interviews of London residents, e.g., the voice of the woman who announces tube stations,that gave me insights into London 2011/12 and/or were particularly interesting. A good idea that doesn't deliver. Strengths - made me realize that there is probably not another city in the world that doesn't present the diverse ethnic background that London does. ( )
1 vote maneekuhi | May 4, 2012 |
...it should be on the Christmas wish list of everyone who lives in the capital.
added by chazzard | editLondonist.com (Nov 11, 2011)

added by chazzard | editThe Observer, Iain Sinclair (Nov 6, 2011)

For Matt Weiland

A collection of interviews with contemporary Londoners from all parts of the city and all walks of life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible