Bulletproof by Mary Calmes

I was gonna give this 2.5 stars, but then Jory just getting up and walking without even realizing it after two and a half months in the wheelchair happened.

A third of the books is how everybody instantly likes Jory and
a) all men want to fuck him
b) all women want to mother him
Another third is how nobody has a sense of personal space when Jory is in question and how he still doesn't learn that that's not normal friendly behavior, especially if the person in his personal space is male.
And the last third is a mix of how somebody wants to kill Jory yet again, and how nobody else but Sam Kage can dominate him.

So basically, the same as the books before this one. ( )
  NannyOgg13 | May 26, 2018 |
Mary Calmes gives us more Jory, Jory, Jory! I'm not sure what I like most about this series. The witty dialogue? The crazy antics? Like pretty much everyone Jory meets, I am just in love with Jory so I'll take it all and smile while I read every page.

Of course, readers have to be in love with Jory to keep reading these books because everything else is just so silly! The trouble he continues to get into, jeez, I just shake my head every time I turn the page. For those who don't love Jory, I can see this book, along with the first two books in the series ([b:A Matter of Time, Vol. 1|8578291|A Matter of Time, Vol. 1 (A Matter of Time #1-2)|Mary Calmes|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1279064017s/8578291.jpg|43980964] and [b:A Matter of Time, Vol. 2|8585948|A Matter of Time, Vol. 2 (A Matter of Time #3-4)|Mary Calmes|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348437757s/8585948.jpg|43982162]) getting dumped on the reader's TSTL shelf. But like that funny and loyal friend you love despite how clueless they sometimes act, I just can't bring myself to do anything but grin when Jory gets caught up in chaos once more.

Having said all this, I did see a more mature brand of crazy, which makes sense. He was in his early twenties for the first two books but now he's thirty. He's a bit more settled, no longer the party boy. He is dealing with the absence of Sam, his partner, who has been gone for three months while working undercover. For the ever-social Jory, living alone without the man he loves is a daily challenge. He may surround himself with his friends at times, but like the saying goes, you can still be alone even when surrounded by people. And without Sam, Jory definitely feels alone.

Calmes seems to have a formula with this series and part of that formula includes everyone falling for Jory. He charms everyone he meets, and because he treats everyone openly and honestly, he expects the same from those around him. This translates into Jory being absolutely clueless when it comes to the men in his life. Men he sees as potential friends and even men who are former lovers are men who always end up wanting in his pants. Yup. Every. Single. Time. That can get old, but it can also be pretty damn funny. And in this book, it could also be dangerous.

Formula or not, I enjoyed this book, mainly because I enjoyed the formula. What I did not like was the almost complete lack of Sam in this book. If I've said this once, I've said this a million times, I really dislike first person POV when it comes to romance novels. Writers are rarely talented enough to make me feel connected to both parties when written like this and when it comes to romance novels I want to know what both characters are feeling. I'm not saying Calmes is some incredible writer but she did do a pretty good job in her earlier books when it came to making me feel connected to Sam so his near absence here was a big huge bummer. The love he felt for Jory was tender and heartfelt (when it wasn't wild, sweaty, and damned hot). It was incredible to watch the big, bad alpha male fall head over heels in love with the flighty, crazy Jory in [b:A Matter of Time, Vol. 1|8578291|A Matter of Time, Vol. 1 (A Matter of Time #1-2)|Mary Calmes|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1279064017s/8578291.jpg|43980964]. So I was disappointed to find so little of Sam in this book. The parts we had were good, but way too brief. Hopefully I will see more of him in [b:But For You|16007018|But For You (A Matter of Time #6)|Mary Calmes|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1356199874s/16007018.jpg|21772346], which is next up.

On a side note, I alternated between reading this book and listening to the audiobook. Jeff Gelder did a good job narrating, although I much preferred Paul Morey's narration of both [b:A Matter of Time, Vol. 1|8578291|A Matter of Time, Vol. 1 (A Matter of Time #1-2)|Mary Calmes|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1279064017s/8578291.jpg|43980964] and [b:A Matter of Time, Vol. 2|8585948|A Matter of Time, Vol. 2 (A Matter of Time #3-4)|Mary Calmes|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348437757s/8585948.jpg|43982162].

AddictedReader28 | Oct 19, 2017 |
Jory is on the loose again. Being 30 now he is still in love but his man Sam Kage is at an undercover operation and far far away. And of course, once again a lot of man stumble over one another because they all want to date the sexy young man: the rich client although he is the reason that Jory gets fired, his ex boyfriend who happens to be very rich and - unfortunately - a dangerous criminal who will do more or less everything to get what he wants. And suddenly Jory meets his undercover man Sam again, being a partner in crime of this mobster. Of course now the typical Jory-rollercoaster with complications, flights, confusion and sex starts again. And along the way Jory makes new friends, teaches some guys a lesson and in the end finds the courage to try to live his dreams. This might be a wee but chaotic but altogether makes for a very entertaining read. ( )
1 vote Kaysbooks | Jul 8, 2014 |
5 stars Jory is one of my all time favorites. Highly Recommend. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
5 stars Jory is one of my all time favorites. Highly Recommend. ( )
  Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |

Jory Harcourt doesn't have to go looking for trouble. Wherever he goes, it seems to find him--particularly when his partner, Sam Kage, is working undercover on a federal task force. After the recession forces him to close his business, Jory goes to work as a matchmaker and event planner. From there, it's only a matter of time before his big mouth and up-front attitude make him the rope in a tug-of-war between a trust fund baby and a drug-smuggling criminal. Then, as if that situation weren't delicate enough, Jory's undercover lover shows up working for the smuggler. Between the men who want him and the men who just want him dead, Chicago is getting a little crowded for Jory, so on the advice of his brother, his boyfriend, and the FBI task force, he heads for Hawaii... where a serious accident threatens his quality of life. Can Sam and Jory keep the faith and prove that their relationship really is bulletproof?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,335,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible