Journey without Maps by Graham Greene

Journey without Maps (original 1936; edition 1978)

by Graham Greene

Member:Sandydog1
Title:Journey without Maps
Authors:Graham Greene
Info:Penguin Books (1978), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2012, memoir, travel, Africa

Journey Without Maps by Graham Greene (1936)

Too Late to Turn Back by Barbara Greene (g026r, John_Vaughan)
    g026r: Barbara & Graham Greene's complimentary/conflicting (depending on whom you talk to) accounts of their mid-30s travels in Africa.
    John_Vaughan: Too late is well written, with the family talent, and is a complimentary reading to Graham's work. The dirrening accounts owe more to artistic effects than to the deliriums suffered by her bother!
    Chasing the Devil: On Foot Through Africa's Killing Fields by Tim Butcher (ominogue)
    Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Capetown by Paul Theroux (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: Both authors felt deeply about Africa and Greene wrote several works on this theme of inner and actual African travel. Paul returns to his Peace Corp teaching post but the books reveals his disillusionment.

What triggered Graham Greene and his cousin to march through a forsaken part of Africa? A truly masochistic undertaking of exploring misery and enduring uncomfortable moments just for the kick of writing a book (or two books as his cousin published her account too). Perhaps the lack of interaction may have been usual for the upper middle class then, but Greene and his cousin might nearly have been on separate trips as they rarely perform anything together or speak with one another. Greene actually pioneers a Thomas Friedmanesque approach of only speaking to either chieftains (CEOs) or servants.

The big take-away for me is that we in Europe are blessed with relatively benign crawly creatures whereas Africa is plagued by nasty, aggressive and invasive critters and an adverse climate. I prefer not to live in a country where books will rot away in no time. Greene learned this too and later stayed in beautiful decadent Capri where he was at liberty to enjoy his vices. ( )
  jcbrunner | Sep 27, 2015 |
  jll1976 | Nov 13, 2014 |
From a modern viewpoint, it's difficult to penetrate the thinking of a period when the African interior was still (to some extent) black on contemporary maps, and when an enlightened understanding of multiculturalism was not the norm. So Greene trekking through the jungles of Liberia, clearly not enjoying the process, and finding it difficult to understand what propels himself through it, is, I think, a bit of a tackle for the modern reader. Greene is much more at ease with the trappings of civilization, something which is clear in the descriptions of local, national and international politics in the book. At any rate, the book is an interesting depiction of a moment in time, and definitely a worthwhile read. ( )
  klai | Oct 9, 2010 |
Another of the "100 greatest adventure books" that I found it impossible to get through -- I abandoned Greene's book when I was three-quarters of the way through after realizing it wouldn't get much better.

I found Greene's general attitude toward those he met on his walk across Liberia and his treatment of his porters to be really irritating. Nothing much of interest happens on his walk across the country either. A grating narrator and a tepid account of what should have been a grand adventure helps make this book extremely dull. ( )
  amerynth | Jun 21, 2010 |
And this is where the book inspires. Back in 2003, reading of Greene's own troubles in Liberia, gave me a degree of comfort as I struggled to make sense of a chaotic region. They made me consider the prejudices that I, as a white outsider, might seek to project not just on to Liberia but wider Africa as well. Each time I read 'Journey Without Maps', I take something new from the experience: truly the hallmark of the best writing.

To My Wife:

"I carry you like a passport everywhere."

- William Plomer: "Visiting the Caves."
The tall black door in the narrow city street remained closed. I rang and knocked and rang again. I could not hear the bell ringing; to ring it again and again was simply an act of fait or despair, and later sitting before a hut in French Guinea, where I never meant to find myself, I remembered this first going astray, the buses passing at the corner and the pale autumn sun.

His mind crowded with vivid images of Africa, Graham Greene set off in 1935 to discover Liberia, a remote and unfamiliar republic founded for released slaves. Now with a new introduction by Paul Theroux, Journey Without Maps is the spellbinding record of Greene’s journey. Crossing the red-clay terrain from Sierra Leone to the coast of Grand Bassa with a chain of porters, he came to know one of the few areas of Africa untouched by colonization. Western civilization had not yet impinged on either the human psyche or the social structure, and neither poverty, disease, nor hunger seemed able to quell the native spirit. BACKCOVER: “One of the best travel books [of the twentieth] century.”
—Norman Sherry

Journey Without Maps and The Lawless Roads reveal Greene’s ravening spiritual hunger, a desperate need to touch rock bottom within the self and in the humanly created world.”
—The Times Higher Education Supplement

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:20 -0400)

Graham Greene set off in 1935 to discover Liberia, a remote and unfamiliar republic founded for released slaves. Now with a new introduction by Paul Theroux, "Journey Without Maps" is the spellbinding record of Greene's journey. Crossing the red-clay terrain from Sierra Leone to the coast of Grand Bassa with a chain of porters, he came to know one of the few areas of Africa untouched by colonization. Western civilization had not yet impinged on either the human psyche or the social structure, and neither poverty, disease, nor hunger seemed able to quell the native spirit.… (more)

Legacy Library: Graham Greene

Graham Greene has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Graham Greene's legacy profile.

See Graham Greene's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible