This Is a Call: The Life and Times of Dave…

This Is a Call: The Life and Times of Dave Grohl

by Paul Brannigan

This is a hard book to rate; on the one hand it was genuinely interesting in patches and I feel like I got closer to the subject but on the other the author followed up so many tributaries and diversions in his writing that there wasn't a chapter where I didn't think that some editing would have been in order. I think there was a tight 220 page book in here somewhere.

It was also a little Nirvana-centric for my liking, which seems a little harsh on Grohl, who appeared in places in this book to be a mere back drop to the narrative rather than its focus. I did enjoy reading about many aspects of the history of DC punk and the thinking behind some of Grohl's harder decisions but overall this wasn't a great book and in fact toward the end the author seemed to slip into the "race to the finish" mode that affects so many music biographies where chapters whizz by and are filled mainly with stories of album releases and line up changes. Shame, it could have been much better. ( )
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
There is a lot of amazing content in this book, but I'm not sure I needed all of this in a biography. Knowing the history of every band that ever influenced Dave Grohl, every early concert he played, and an analysis of every song he played is just too much for someone looking to read a casual biography. A lot of this content would perhaps have been better presented as lists in an appendix.

That being said, I learned a lot about one of my favourite musicians that I would have missed such as other musical projects besides Foo Fighters and Nirvana. And Grohl's passion for music certainly comes through.

Brannigan's research is outstanding; I would have liked to see stronger editing to get this into a more readable form. ( )
  crosbyc | Apr 25, 2013 |
Most of the time this book stays far too much in a journalism sort of swagger. Rather than anything more in depth. I always enjoy an autobiography more than a biography. And this book spends far too much time in the first half explaining in depth entire records from the underground punk rock scene where Dave originated. And while it is definitely relevant it becomes hard slog to read through at times. Overall it's a great collation of Dave's life and I have enjoyed getting some more insight into the life of one of my heroes. ( )
  teaswirls | Apr 3, 2013 |
How did Dave Grohl go from being the behind-the-scenes Nirvana drummer to front man for Foo Fighters? What is the meaning behind songs “This is a Call” and “I’ll Stick Around”? This is well research biography, not just of Nirvana and Foo Fighters, but also of rock music. With ten years of interviews, this book is a rare treat for fans that still have lingering questions about Grohl’s Nirvana years and how he recovered to form the Foo Fighters. ( )
  westfargolibrary | Mar 17, 2012 |

The epic story of a singular career that includes Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, and Them Crooked Vultures. Based on ten years of original, exclusive interviews with the man himself and conversations with a legion of musical associates like Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme, DC punk legend Ian MacKaye, and Nevermind producer Butch Vig, this is Grohlb2ss story. He speaks candidly and honestly about Kurt Cobain, the arguments that almost tore Nirvana apart, the feuds that threatened to derail the Foo Fightersb2ss global success, and the dark days that almost caused him to quit music for good.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,080,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible