How Georgia Became O'Keeffe: Lessons on…

How Georgia Became O'Keeffe: Lessons on the Art of Living

by Karen Karbo

Now I see why others have raved so much about this story. It’s the life of artist Georgia O’Keeffe, but you won’t find this story in the encyclopedia. It’s a tale beautifully, cleverly, wisely told with hundreds of little personal asides and footnotes. I think you will love it. I’m pretty sure you will. ( )
  debnance | Sep 25, 2014 |
This was an absolutely bizarre (and not in a good way) book about one of the most fascinating women in American history. However, half the book was about the author herself, who is myopically self-absorbed, thinks she is very humorous and injects herself into most facets of O'Keefe's life (i.e., "she did it like this, but now I would do it like this) ... or what the author assumed O'Keefe's life was like. There are a whole host of attempted parallels between O'Keefe's life/times and today's women and wow, I thought they were a stretch, not to mention speculative and weird. So I guess it is supposed to read like a women's modern-day self-help book on the unique way O'Keefe led her life. That juxtaposition does not work at all. Just ... odd. Anyway, I loved any little thing about O'Keefe herself (although I would have rather made my own conclusions than be force fed parallels to the author's dating, online gaming, Facebook use, etc.) and will now seek out a true biography of this complex, fascinating, original, beautiful and wonderful artist. ( )
  CarolynSchroeder | Apr 13, 2012 |

A fresh, revealing look at the artist who continues to inspire new generations of women.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:50 -0400)

Most people associate Georgia O'Keeffe with New Mexico, painted cow skulls, and her flower paintings. She was revered for so long--born in 1887, died at age ninety-eight in 1986--that we forget how young, restless, passionate, searching, striking, even fearful she once was--a dazzling, mysterious female force in bohemian New York City during its heyday. In this distinctive book, in her characteristic style, Karen Karbo makes one of the greatest women painters vital and relevant for yet another generation. She chronicles O'Keeffe's early life, her desire to be an artist, the key moment when art became her form of self-expression, and her passionate love affair with master photographer Alfred Stieglitz. She also explores a range of universal themes--from how to discover and nurture your individuality to what it means to be in a committed relationship while maintaining your independence, from finding your own style to developing the ability to take risks.--From publisher description.… (more)

Karen Karbo is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,258,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible