The Dread by Gail Z. Martin

It left me satisfied, I did waver between 3.5 and 4 stars for it but overall I think it did score a 4 for me at the end. I would like to revisit the world and see more of the characters but the current story has run and I liked how it worked itself out. It took me a while to get into the story but the last half flew.

Kiara's father is assassinated, so she has to return to claim the throne, Tris is fighting a war that is doing serious damage to his people and may be feeding the evil and they both will have to make choices that will echo.

I like the characters in this series, they are complex and you're left wondering occasionally if they think that survival is worth it. You can see that they're getting older and war is starting to wear on their bodies and their minds and they would just like a break for a while. But their conscience will not let them go and they just have to keep going until they can't any more.

You can also see that the relationships they have with each other echo and change motives. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Mar 18, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316093610, Mass Market Paperback)

War has come to the Winter Kingdoms. The Dread will rise. Kings will fall.

Summoner-King Tris Drayke takes what remains of his army north for a war he is ill-prepared to fight, as reports from spies confirm Tris's worst fear. A new threat rises across the sea: a dark summoner who intends to make the most of the Winter Kingdoms's weakness.

In Isencroft, Kiara's father is assassinated and she will now have no choice except to return and claim the crown. But she must leave behind her husband and their infant son to face the dark power that threatens her rule.

THE DREAD is the epic conclusion to the Fallen Kings Cycle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:07 -0400)

"Summoner-King Tris Drayke takes what remains of his army north for a war he is ill-prepared to fight, as reports from spies confirm Tris's worst fear. A new threat rises across the sea: a dark summoner who intends to make the most of the Winter Kingdoms' weakness. In Isencroft, Kiara's father is assassinated and she will now have no choice except to return and claim the crown. But she must leave behind her husband and their infant son to face the dark power that threatens her rule"--Publisher.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,327,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible