Artemis by Philip Palmer

Artemis

by Philip Palmer

Cracking read! Hugely enjoyable Sci-Fi tale. Artemis makes for a bold and intriguing heroine; some excellent action set pieces and a nice bit of a twist at the end. ( )
  Fergster73 | Aug 15, 2017 |
As with Debatable Space, there's a lot about this book that normally I would dislike. The narrative is less fragmentary, but this one has footnotes (which don't add much to the story) and the same amount of profanity, carnage, and incoherence. The characters are not exactly lovable. And, yet again, it won me over. It does have a different narrative voice, despite similarities; it does have moments where I connected with the characters, particularly the couple of cameos of characters from other books and their relationship to Artemis (I'll say no more). And there's the fact that Artemis is a librarian: she loves books. Though she's not as innocent as the mental image of a librarian you might get... And yes, the footnotes were okay: yes, they endeared themselves to me too -- they do add somewhat to the world-building; I got very interested in the editor-character and wanted to know more about them, too

It's, like Debatable Space, a rip-roaring adventure story that rarely slows down and gushes red with blood. There are epic battles and the safety of all mankind depends on it. The ending is satisfying, a perfect way to end it (except I still want to know more about the editor, and it is an entirely different perfect way to end the story to Debatable Space's perfect ending).

Suffice it to say that I really enjoyed this, and while it's similar to Debatable Space, it's not a copy either. There's fresh stuff here to keep you turning the pages. And even if it doesn't sound like something you'd be interested in, it might be worth giving it a try, because it certainly won me over. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:27 -0400)

Artemis McIvor is a thief, a con-artist, and a stone cold killer. And she's been on a crime-spree for, well, for years. The galactic government has collapsed and the universe was hers for the taking. But when the cops finally catch up with her, they give Artemis a choice. Suffer in prison for the rest of her very long life, or join a crew of criminals, murderers, and traitors on a desperate mission to save humanity against an all-consuming threat. Now, Artemis has to figure out how to be a good guy without forgetting who she really is.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,532,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible