World enough and time: A romantic novel by…

World enough and time: A romantic novel (original 1950; edition 1979)

by Robert Penn Warren

193561,059 (3.69)13
Member:tamara.townsend
Title:World enough and time: A romantic novel
Authors:Robert Penn Warren
Info:Vintage Books (1979), Edition: 1st Vintage Books ed, Mass Market Paperback, 469 pages

World Enough and Time by Robert Penn Warren (1950)

Recently added byprivate library, susanwithagoodbook, jasbro, toedebw, LamarJimmerson, whwatson, Jamshed.S, intj25
Legacy LibrariesRalph Ellison
    All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren (FastTurtle)
    FastTurtle: Penn Warren's classic, and a major work of 20th century American fiction.

When I read the first paragraph of this book, I knew I would love it. This is a book to chew through and contemplate, not a quick read. The prose and story telling are beautiful, the morals of 1800's in Kentucky (early Americana) very interesting, and the love story and murder heartbreaking yet compelling. I can't wait to read other books by Robert Warren Penn. ( )
  tamara.townsend | Nov 21, 2012 |
This book is uneven and melodramatic, and usually I'd view that as a negative, but in this case, the uneven and melodramatic narrative perfectly matches the uneven and melodramatic nature of the two main characters, Jeremiah Beaumont and his infatuation, and later wife, Rachael Jordon. This one takes some slogging, but it is necessary and so worth it. If you have any love for tragic romance, psychological drama, or Kentucky, then you should give it a shot.

[full review here: http://spacebeer.blogspot.com/2011/06/world-enough-and-time-by-robert-penn.html ] ( )
  kristykay22 | Jun 8, 2011 |
When I read All the King's Men in 1958 it was adjudged by me the best book I read that year. This book is long and often boring. The account of Jeremiah's expedition to kill Colonel Fort and the accout of his trial are highly interesting and good reading, but there are many pages before and after that which are really a drag to read. If the story is based on truth I do not understand why Warren would insert items such as having one of the lawyers who defended Beaumont go on to be a U.S. Senator from Kentucky--when if glance at the men who were in the Senate from Kentucky in that period shows that is false. I did not find the time I spent reading this book was time well spent. ( )
  Schmerguls | May 5, 2010 |
This novel is possibly the darkest that I have read in my life, but it is absolutely riveting. The mental processes by which the protagonist and his wife convince themeselves that they must conspire to commit murder and then deal with the aftermath is fascinating and tragic. ( )
  MHelm1017 | Sep 19, 2009 |
To Dixon and Elizabeth Wector
I can show you what is left.

"In the admixture of wilderness and elegant society that was 1826 Kentucky, Jeremiah Beaumont, a brilliant, imaginative lawyer, stood trial for murdering his benefactor and father figure, the politician Colonel Cassius Fort. Now all the documents are in hand to reconstruct Beaumont's life story - his crime, his trial, his ultimate sin and punishment - and the historian-narrator of World Enough and Time sets about doing just that. He uncovers a burning idealist's search for purpose and his rabid rejection, like other great Promethean heroes of the American mythology, of conventional heroism. Based on the famous murder case known as the Kentucky Tragedy, World Enough in Time is, like its precursor All the King's Men, a fictional wonder that personifies history, philosophy, politics, and passion."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,603,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible