Tiger's Destiny by Colleen Houck

Tiger's Destiny (edition 2012)

by Colleen Houck

1931661,059 (4.17)4
Title:Tiger's Destiny
Authors:Colleen Houck
Info:Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (2012), Paperback

Tiger's Destiny by Colleen Houck

@tigers_destiny +tigers_voyage ( )
  Lorem | Sep 4, 2015 |
god dammit. I was so ready to rate this at the most 3 stars halfway through the book because I was sick of the love triangle and it didn't seem to progress anywhere. However, the ending was just so brilliant(heartbreaking and all BUT YOU DON'T ALWAYS GET PITCH PERFECT ENDINGS) 3 stars wouldn't do it justice. I just wanna say that I miss Kishan terribly. Just. terribly. I've always rooted for Ren to be by Kelsey's side and while I knew they were going to end up together, I didn't think Kishan wouldn't be by her side still. I only realised how much I like him in the end :'( ( )
  novewong | Jul 8, 2015 |
This was a well done conclusion to this YA fantasy series. I know there is a fifth book planned for this series, called The Tiger’s Dream. However, since release is undetermined for that book and this book does an excellent job wrapping up the series...I am considering it the wrap-up/final book for this series. There is a lot of adventure and action and mythology in here which I loved. I was still frustrated by the whole love triangle; it makes the characters (who are otherwise pretty intelligent) come of as dumb and immature.

There is only one prophecy left in the Tiger’s Curse. To break the last portion of the curse Kelsey, Ren, and Kishan must travel to one of the islands in the Bay of Bengal to track down the Rope of Fire. With Lokesh is hot on their heels things are more dire than ever. Can Kelsey, Ren, and Kishan break the last part of the Tiger’s Curse before it’s too late?

I still have a bit of a love/hate relationship with this series. I love the adventure, travel, and mythology. I hate the love triangle and the inconsistency and vagueness around how the magic items work.

In this book there is more travel, excitement, and adventure as we get to travel to the Andaman Islands. All of our favorite characters are here. We meet even more mythical creatures and even get to travel through time to see the origins of the Goddess Durga.

While I really enjoy the setting and magic in this series I continue to be very frustrated about the whole love triangle thing. Kelsey is just being cruel to Kishan and has been for the last two books. With all the “energy” between her and Ren and the way they would both rather die than be apart from each other how can she keep stringing along Kishan? Then there is Kishan’s attitude; he loves all the pretty women and although he professes love for Kelsey he doesn’t shy from ogling others. It’s just silly. Still to prevent spoilers I won’t say who Kelsey ends up with...however I will say it is very predictable and pretty much a no brainer. Why the angst over it for these last couple books?

Anyway, I enjoyed the plot in this book a lot and loved how the final portion of the Tiger’s Curse was broken. The time travel added an interesting twist to everything and I enjoyed it. A lot happens in this book and the story takes some interesting twists and turns.

Things are absolutely and completely tied up in this book. There aren’t any loose ends at all; so I am not sure why a fifth book is planned for this series. On Huock’s blog she mentions that the release for book 5, The Tiger’s Dream, is undetermined because she is working on other projects. I also read that Book 5 is supposed to talk about Kelsey and her life after the curse (again omitting any Tiger names to prevent spoilers).

Overall a good conclusion to this YA fantasy series. I have loved the adventure, the travel, the magic, and the curse breaking in this series. I enjoyed the characters as well. I hated, hated, hated the love triangle. It felt so forced throughout and made the characters seem dumb...it just didn’t do the story or the characters justice at all. I also didn’t like how inconsistent the use of the magic items was; they don’t seem to follow any rhyme or reason. I don’t really plan on reading any more books by Huock, but I would recommend this series if you are looking for a good YA adventure fantasy and don’t mind corny love triangles. ( )
  krau0098 | Jun 27, 2015 |
I really liked this book. I really liked this series. It's not perfect in writing and technique, but the author is new. And as far as new goes, it's brilliant. I got these first few when they were available on Amazon Kindle. Then, someone saw her talent and decided to take her on before she got grabbed up by someone else. As an author, she's sweet and she, or someone on her team has responded to emails and questions through various media outlets. Her writing style is growing.

For the books: I got attached to the characters and really involved in the plot. I haven't seen a lot of books about India and tigers so it was a refreshing change from most fantasy novels. Though some parts of the series were a bit on the predictable side I let myself really have fun with it and let my emotions get caught up in the swell of things. I laughed, cried, blushed, and yelled throughout this series. It brought me into a new culture that intrigued me enough to pick up some nonfiction books and learn some of the real stories behind a few characters within the series. I was immersed and loved it all. I was in our time and felt like I traveled back to ancient times with these characters. ( )
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
Please remember when reading my comments on this that I am a 44 yr old mom, and am not the intended audience for this series. This final book in the series was highly imaginative and I thoroughly enjoy all of the myths and history included. The story was unique and the secondary characters are fantastic, including Kelsey's two love interests. It was a good ending to the series and I think teens will truly enjoy it. That being said the angst drove me completely insane. Kelsey is so wishy washy in terms of her romantic life and is so incredibly naive. SPOILERS Also, do not get me started on the fact that she marries so young and it was so shmaltzy I wanted to throw up in my mouth a little. You can even have a drinking game based on how many types Kelsey mentions the colour of both Kishan and Ren's eyes. These inner monologues and angsty scenes could have been taken out and made into three positively brilliant books in my opinion. But again I am not a teen, if I was maybe I would totally love all the angst of having two boys love her and believing she wasn't good enough for the hotter one. On a side note I listened to the series on audio book and I would actually talk out loud to Kelsey when I was walking the dog. Her inner voice was that irritating. But again, the adventure part of the story does make up for Kelsey. I won't take off any stars for my problems with the series based on the fact that I am not the intended audience. Oh yeah and Kelsey if you were real I would slap you upside of the head and take both those sexy tigers for my own. ( )
  mountie9 | Oct 26, 2014 |

Kelsey, Ren, and Kishan race against time and the evil sorcerer Lokesh on the Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal as they seek Durga's final gift, the Rope of Fire, that will finally break the tiger's curse.

76 wanted1 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,780,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible