The Springsweet by Saundra Mitchell

The Springsweet

by Saundra Mitchell

Read my review in an upcoming issue of the Historical Novel Society's REVIEW. ( )
  Nancy.Castaldo | Nov 3, 2014 |
The Springsweet lovely, bittersweet and vibrant, with strong characters and some nice character development. Zora is sent to stay with her aunt and cousin in Oklahoma, and it's like The Little Town on the Prairie, with magic! And romance! (So perhaps I should describe it as These Happy Golden Years with magic?)

I liked this much more than the first book in this trilogy, The Vespertine. While I enjoyed The Vespertine, neither the romance nor the impression I had of the setting quite came alive for me. But that was not the case here - I loved both the romance, and the vivid portrayal of the hopes and tensions of Zora's new community. The only thing I didn't entirely love was the ending, which seemed somehow teenage-impulsive, if understandable. Still, there's going to be a third book... so perhaps Zora's story hasn't really ended, not yet.

"I think you should tell me who you are," I said. I brushed the brim of his hat against my lips and shivered. The felt was creamy soft, and warm - it felt like the promise of a kiss. "And I'll tell you who I am. Then we can both be sure we're a risk we care to take." ( )
  Herenya | Apr 14, 2013 |
A quick, sweet, romantic read. c: I really enjoyed this book, and nothing really bothered me.
I'm quite excited for the third book in this series, to see Zora and Amelia reunited. ( )
  QueenTaco | Aug 2, 2012 |
REVIEW ORIGINALLY POSTED http://hobbitsies.net/wordpress/2012/05/the-springsweet-by-saundra-mitchell/

I read The Springsweet by Saundra Mitchell several months ago and I still can’t get over how amazing it was.

If you’ve read The Vespertine, you know how beautiful Saundra Mitchell’s writing truly is – and The Springsweet was even better. I mean, my biggest complaint with The Vespertine was that I wanted to know more about what happened to Zora, and voila, a whole book about Zora!

I loved Zora Stewart. I may or may not have loved her more than Amelia, I plead the fifth. I just thought Zora was amazing and going through so many hard things yet still managed to awesome. And her elemental power things were super cool, and helpful to the community she lived in.

Also, I loved the setting! Old western, Little House on the Prairie like times? Sign me up! I thought Saundra Mitchell described the setting and reflected the emotion of the time beautifully.

Seriously – if you’re looking for a beautiful historical fiction with paranormal elements, here you go! The Vespertine and The Springsweet by Saundra Mitchell are some of my favourite books that I’ve read in the past few years, and I am dying to read Aetherborne. ( )
  hobbitsies | May 22, 2012 |
For those that haven’t read The Vespertine, The Springsweet might be a bit confusing at first. After the first two chapters, though, The Springsweet comes into its own and focuses on Zora’s new life on the prairie. Even so, I’d recommend reading The Vespertine first for context. (Saundra Mitchell doesn’t waste time playing catch-up, so be warned.)

For those who have read The Vespertine, you’re in for a treat with The Springsweet. Like its cover, The Springsweet is summery and hopeful in overall tone—it contrasts the darker setting of The Vespertine. Saundra Mitchell’s writing is as beautiful as ever; she has such a handle on writing historical fiction that readers feel instantly transported to the time period. I like that the setting isn’t traditional, either: The Springsweet takes place on the prairie, many miles away from the big houses and glamorous balls we’re used to. I’m always up for a unique setting, and I’m sure readers will love learning about roughing it in a sod house, too.

This particular setting puts Zora in the right situation for some good old-fashioned character-building. Zora was one of my favorite characters in The Vespertine, but I like her even more in The Springsweet. We get to see more of her quick wit and hardworking attitude (which she keeps up despite her sorry state of heartbreak). Readers will enjoy Zora’s narration immensely.
But what’s a historical novel without a dashing young gentleman? Perfectly fine, apparently. The love interest in The Springsweet is one lady readers will definitely fall for, despite his lack of tie and tails.

If you’re looking for a slower-paced, yet completely absorbing read, try The Springsweet. If Zora’s narration doesn’t wheel you in, the concept of a springsweet—and the touches of magic in the story—definitely will. ( )
  renkellym | Apr 13, 2012 |
For Janie Beth, Jacob, and Cassy—

Remain thou as thou art.
That I went a little mad, I could not deny.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 054760842X, Hardcover)

Heartbroken over the tragic death of her fiancé, seventeen-year-old Zora Stewart leaves
Baltimore for the frontier town of West Glory, Oklahoma, to help her young widowed
aunt keep her homestead going. There she discovers that she possesses the astonishing
ability to sense water under the parched earth. When her aunt hires her out as a
“springsweet” to advise other settlers where to dig their wells, Zora feels the burden of
holding the key to something so essential to survival in this unforgiving land.
Even more, she finds herself longing for love the way the prairie thirsts for water.
Maybe, in the wildness of the territories, Zora can finally move beyond simply surviving
and start living.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:17 -0400)

Moving from Baltimore to Oklahoma Territory in the late 1800s, seventeen-year-old Zora experiences the joys and hardships of pioneer life, discovering new love and her otherworldly power.

Saundra Mitchell is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible