A Lady Never Surrenders by Sabrina Jeffries

A Lady Never Surrenders

by Sabrina Jeffries

2051057,211 (3.7)2

The plot of this historical romance was pretty good but I thought the action was slow going with characters thinking about the difference in social status over and over again. I skimmed a lot. Lady Celia asks bow street runner Jackson to investigate three men she is considering for a husband.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
This is the first book I've read by Jeffries, and I adored it! Great characters, interesting plot, enough tension to keep me going. None of that falling in love right away crap. ( )
  ariel.kirst | Nov 14, 2014 |
Absolutely delightful! Lady Celia is a sweet heroine with a huge heart and a sharp mind. The youngest of the Sharpe siblings, and the last to marry, Celia devises a plan to thwart her grandmother's ultimatum. Throw a house party and invite three of the most eligible suitors to attend and compete for her hand! Not willing to marry a scoundrel, Celia employees Jackson Pinter, bowstreet runner, to investigate the men competing for her affections. Little does she know that proud Pinter has his eye set on her as well.

A bastard son, the handsome Jackson Pinter who has a strong dislike of nobility, does not imagine he could even win a lady so high up as Celia Sharpe. When he is forced to help her with her suitors as well as following what could be the missing link in her parents murders, he is thrown into close confines with the bewitching lady.

Both Celia and Pinter learn troubling news that changes their views of their pasts. People are not always who they appear to be. Can they work together to solve the murders and prevent new ones? Can their hearts overcome their stubborn heads and will love prevail?

Exciting revelations about the Sharpe parent's murder and an unexpected new marriage (not Celia's!) make this book a devilishly exciting page turner and an amazing conclusion to the Hellions of Halstead Hall series.

Azacia | Dec 8, 2013 |
I just couldn't finish this one, the two lead characters were so annoying, I had no desire to find out what happened to them. I wound up skimming all the way through to the end just to see what happens regarding the parents' murder mystery and who did it, since I did invest a lot of time in the series and wanted to find out at least who killed their parents. Even that was a bit anti-climatic. I'm afraid this is good-bye to this author for now. I just wasn't thrilled by this Hellions of Halstead Hall series at all with the exception of one book, How to Woo A Reluctant Lady. ( )
  ktleyed | Nov 2, 2013 |
This is the final installment of the Hellions of Halstead series. I'm sad to see it end. I've enjoyed spending time with the Sharpe family.

I have to say, I was much more bothered by Hettie's interference in this novel. I'm not sure if it's because we got more from her POV, or if her meddling went over the top. While I understood her reasons for being wary of Pinter, it didn't make a lot of sense for her to push him so hard. Especially when it was obvious Celia cared for him.

Aside from that, I enjoyed the novel. I liked that Pinter wasn't a member of the aristocracy. He was an investigator with Bow Street and lived in a modest home in Cheapside. Though he wasn't dirt poor, he wasn't rich, either. We don't see enough of these types of heroes in romance. Of course it was somewhat ruined by Celia's giant inheritance, but whatever.

The mystery behind their parent's murder is finally resolved here. While I wouldn't say it was completely contrived, I did think the resolution was somewhat anti-climatic. I might have liked to see it come about earlier in the novel so more time could be spent on the reactions of the family. Still and all, this was an enjoyable read and a nice way to close out the series.

cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |

Lady Celia Sharpe hopes that if she can garner offers of marriage from several eligible gentlemen and show her grandmother she is capable of gaining a husband, she can convince Gran to rescind the marriage ultimatum for her. And if that plan doesn't work, at least she'll have a husband lined up. But Bow Street Runner Jackson Pinter seems determined to ruin her plans by disapproving of every suitor she asks him to investigate. It's only when she and Jackson work together to solve her parents' murders, plunging them both into danger, that she realizes why--because the only man he wants her to marry is himself!… (more)

Sabrina Jeffries is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,054,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible