To the Devil, My Regards by Anthony Neil…

To the Devil, My Regards

by Anthony Neil Smith, Victor Gischler

Synopsis/blurb....

Z.Z. DelPresto is a ne'er-do-well private eye who stumbles into trouble along the beaches of Alabama and Florida. But this time he may have waded out too far. The evidence appears to show him killing the seventeen-year-old girl he'd fallen for. But Z.Z. knows good and well he didn't do it, and now he's in the fight of his life to prove it. Throw in the girl's rich and ruthless parents, some cops who have been trying to put DelPresto away for years, a topless tourist and a stuttering psychic who knows all of tomorrow's sports scores today, and you have a story you just can't put down.

Combine Gischler's colorful eccentricity with Smith's grinding noir, and you end up with this unique novella: To the Devil, My Regards. Originally published in 2001, Gischler and Smith now bring this crazy tale to Kindle, with a new cover by "Pokerben" Springer.
-------------------
My take.....

It's been a while since I read anything from either of these two authors after faithfully following them both more than a decade ago. On a bit of a downer after my last book, a quick pick-me-up was in order. Well - at 66 pages it was quick, and enjoyable but not amazing.

We have a PI in the frame for murdering the daughter of his client. The client hired him to gather evidence on his cheating wife, not to sleep with his daughter and definitely not to kill her!

Z.Z. DelPresto surprisingly gets released from custody and works to clear himself. Managing to avoid the attentions of a hitman, turning the tables on him, having a steamy encounter with the dead girl's mother (who just happened to hire the would-be-assassin), an impromptu boat trip with a couple of unsuspecting tourists, and a few more deaths, DelPresto gathers the evidence and cracks the case. News Flash - he didn't do it!

Action, pace, humour, snappy dialogue, a bit of sex and a few decent twists before a believable resolution, I liked it. Worth a pound of anyone's money.

I'm sure they've written a lot better both before and since.

3.5 from 5

Smith's All the Young Warriors was one of my favourite reads of 2013. All the other books I've read from the pair were in my pre-blogging days.

Read in November, 2017
Published - 2001 (re-published 2011)
Page count - 66
Source - purchased copy
Format - Kindle

https://col2910.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/anthony-neil-smith-victor-gischler-to.html ( )
  col2910 | Nov 17, 2017 |
A fun piece of PI fiction cowritten in some obscure manner by two
writers. It is a quick read and nonstop action. Great crime fiction. Z Z
Del Presto is hired to spy on a man's wife but instead gets involved
with the lovely daughter Rachel. Unfortunately, several eyewitnesses
see him stab Rachel just as the police pull up. But maybe he is safer in
the pokey since all kinds of hit men are after him. There are places in
the story where the sense of humor particularly with regard to the
descriptions of people and places is just terrific. Indeed, the scene on
the commandeered boat is not to be missed. There are great charcters
here as well. Worth your time reading. ( )
  DaveWilde | Sep 22, 2017 |
Victor Gischler, writes off-beat little gems. This one was co-authored by Anthony Neil Smith. It was 99 cents for my Kindle and worth much more.

Z.Z. Delpresto, P.I. is not having a good week. He’s been hired to spy on the mother of a girl he ends up making love to only to have her be killed and he is found with the murder weapon in his hand. Delpresto finds nothing going his way. “Amazing how fate can work against us sometimes. We like the think we’re the center of the Solar System, everything revolving around. More likely, we’re the center of the vortex when we flush the toilet.”

Warning: not literature, just fun and when you get as old as I, fun often trumps obscurity. I do, however, draw the line at Gischler’s X-men stuff. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
Enjoyable, very fast read about a private detective trying to clear himself of a murder charge. Just a novella, so lacking in complexity, but enjoyable none the less. Not sure who wrote what parts--it certainly isn't as intense as Smith's Yellow Medicine. ( )
  datrappert | Sep 28, 2011 |

Anthony Neil Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gischler, Victormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,432,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible