Sad Monsters: Growling on the Outside,…

Sad Monsters: Growling on the Outside, Crying on the Inside

by Frank Lesser

ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2017/03/12/my-year-in-reading-cassie-las-february-2017-wrap-up/

Former The Colbert Report writer Frank Lesser takes on monsters great and small with his satirical short stories ranging from Godzilla’s diary entries to a class-action lawsuit against King Kong, a racist Bigfoot and a Gremlin owner’s manual. Even though not every story is successful, this collection’s strength lies in its creativity. ( )
  yrchmonger | Mar 12, 2017 |
A collection of essays by or about monsters with problems. A vampire tries to smooth over the girl he dumped because he doesn't like her enough to make her immortal, there's a glowing reference from a cryptozoological researcher trying to help The Abominable Snowman land a job at Vogue, a note from the roommate of Dorian Gray asking him to remove the hideous portrait from the dining room and stop requesting a three-way with the guy's girlfriend. Also, the scientist from "The Fly" teaches Introductory Physics using much of his personal experience.

"Yes, you in the front row, a question? Ah, yes, you're wondering about my right arm, which I have as yet failed to mention. I should apologize for this oversight, but you see, I often forget that my right arm is also the arm of a fly, because I GET DISTRACTED BY MY GIANT FLY HEAD."

Lesser is a writer for "The Colbert Report" so it's no surprise that this is so quirky. ( )
  mstrust | Sep 25, 2014 |
This book consists of forty brief vignettes about various monsters, some of whom are, as the title implies, sad. Not every monster cries himself to sleep at night, though; some quite enjoy their lives of monstrosity. Most of them have romantic problems. It's not easy to be a monster on the prowl in the dating sense, what with also prowling in the nomming sense

It may interest you to know that the author, Frank Lesser, writes for The Colbert Report. This sets some pretty high standards for the book to follow. Thankfully, Sad Monsters was just what I hoped it would be. Puns and irony abound, along with some cute postmodernism (ain't that reevaluation of that monster and his secret pain just precious?).

You get a really wide range of monsters in here. Lesser definitely isn't sticking only to the most popular (zombies, werewolves, vampires). Some of my favorite vignettes were Godzilla wondering what the point of all the stomping is (also, did you know that Godzilla likes M*A*S*H as much as I do?), formerly people-munching diets going vegan or carb-free, peaceful zombies being chased by humans, unsuccessful monsters like Count Macula (who just might work at my office) and Igor's résumé. Pretty much each of the little stories will make you bust out laughing, snort, groan or teehee.

Reading Sad Monsters takes somewhere around an hour. This is an estimate, since I read multiple books at one time; suffice it to say that it is quite short. I feel like this is an excellent book to pull out to amuse your friends with or to buy quirky friends for Christmas (don't know what to get them but know they love Colbert style humor?). Plus, how cute is that monster on the cover!?! ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
I think my mistake was in trying to read this book all in one go. I enjoyed the first couple of essays, but then I started rolling my eyes and feeling irritated. I'll admit I didn't read the whole thing. I couldn't bring myself to. Cute/clever idea, but too much of it all at once just wasn't my taste. ( )
  Jessica_Olin | Apr 1, 2013 |
for my mom and dad, and all the other monsters of my childhood
Warning: do not read this book if you have recently experienced monster-related heartbreak, especially if that heartbreak involved a werewolf and could better be described as "heart-gnaw."
Thanks to this hilarious book, I'm no longer scared of monsters. However, I am still terrified of books. --Stephen Colbert

An Emmy Award-winning writer for The Colbert Report follows in the (big) footsteps of Bigfoot: I Not Dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:26 -0400)

Monsters have it tough. Besides being deeply misunderstood, they suffer from very real problems: Mummies have body image issues, Godzilla is going through an existential crisis, and creatures from the black lagoon face discrimination from creatures from the white lagoon. At heart, these monsters are human; after all, you are what you eat. Quirkily illustrated, Sad Monsters hilariously documents the trials and tribulations of all the undead creatures monster-mad readers have grown to love, from vampires and werewolves, to chupacabras and sphinxes, and even claw-footed bathtubs.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,020,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible