The Day No One Played Together: A Story…

The Day No One Played Together: A Story About Compromise

by Donalisa Helsley

253428,870 (4)None

Big Kid Reaction: The events are very realistic without being over the top. Although the characters are girls, boys will also relate to the frustration of not playing what "they" want.

Pros: If you have siblings, keep this book handy! It will be very helpful in reminding kids of different ways to solve problems. It also has potential as a transitional reader for kids ready to read longer text passages.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
  TheReadingTub | Apr 25, 2013 |
The Day No One Played Together is about two sisters, both wanting to play, and neither agreeing on what they should do. In a huff, they storm off in separate ways to play by themselves, but that isn’t any fun sitting by yourself with no one to talk to. Then Mom teaches them the word ‘compromise’, and soon the girls have lots of ideas of ways to play together.

This was a very sweet read with adorable illustrations. This is a perfect book for parents to introduce the idea of compromise to your children, or to give them that gentle reminder slightly older kids sometimes need.

I have two kids, seven years apart from the other, so you can imagine that I hear, “Mom, I want to sing but he wants to play cars!” a lot, with both of my kids storming toward me to whine their tale of woes. And today was no exception. I sat them down, and we read the book together.

It was just the little reminder my daughter needed that it’s more fun to play with her brother, than it is to sit in her room alone. And a great introduction of compromise for my son, that girls don’t always want to play cars and robots. Not long after, they were peacefully playing together, having compromised, and Mommy could get back to work.

My son loves being read to, and my daughter loves to read, and this book is wonderful for them to do together and sends them a good message while reading. Two thumbs up from this Mom who, thanks to this book, is now listening to giggles instead of whining! ( )
  DarianWilk | Jun 17, 2012 |
This is a wonderful story about compromise. Two sisters who don't play together until they learn the meaning of COMPROMISE. Sisters Jadyn and Genesis (I absolutely love these names) are home together on
a beautiful sunny day. They cannot find a way to play together. This is a true to life situation faced by all parents. This story is a quick and easy way to explain compromise to children. It should be read to
children by a parent or teacher.
Told in a beautiful manner. Wonderful illustrations. This book belongs in every daycare, preschool and kindergarten. I know some adults who may benefit from this story, as well! Very well written. 5 stars! ( )
  ljldml | Sep 29, 2011 |

Jadyn and Genesis want to play together but neither one wants to play what the other wants to. What will they do? Will they be able to brainstorm and find a way to play together? Will they play alone? "The Day No One Played Together" teaches an important lesson in a fun way. Join these sisters in the first of their series.

Donalisa Helsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,365,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible