The Beautiful Indifference by Sarah Hall

The Beautiful Indifference

by Sarah Hall

1204100,400 (3.66)8

Unlike some people I know, I’m not a fan of Hall’s writing – but then, her writing is very tied to her region – Cumbria – so much so that many of the stories in this collection are written in local dialect, or use local dialect terms. They’re good stories, they’re polished stories. There are seven of them in The Beautiful Indifference, some of which are set in Cumbria, one of which is set in Finland. They’re worth reading, although fans of her writing will get more from them than I did. I found this book in a charity shop, and I’ll continue to keep an eye open for her works, but I do find her prose a bit too much in your face for my taste. I like my fiction distant and bolstered by fact, and I find it hard to accept a facility with local dialect as a substitute for fact. Or rather, I appreciate fiction that includes elements which can be looked up on Wikipedia, and while Hall’s use of Cumbrian dialect is, as far as I know, accurate, it adds only a thin wash of colour to the stories, where a reference to a real event or thing defined in Wikipedia would add depth. But that’s a personal thing. Certainly, Hall is a good writer, and these are some polished pieces of work. Worth reading. ( )
  iansales | Jan 22, 2017 |
This is such a beautiful collection of stories, with such vivid detail and character. I would definitely recommend, even though a few stories ended without answering big questions. Love and death seem to be the big connecting themes. ( )
  dani_reviews | Jul 22, 2016 |
I loved this book. As with most short story books some sections I feel worked better than others and the ideas were better excecuted. I likes her style of writing. It was what was left unsaid in alot ofthe time that worked the most. ( )
  WWDG | May 6, 2015 |
(I guess GR advertisements work sometimes)
  cait815 | Apr 1, 2013 |
There is an air of quiet desolation about the stories here, and an understated story telling nous, like Alice Munro or Raymond Carver, yet with a distinct personality all her own.
added by peterbrown | editThe Big Issue, Doug Johnstone (Dec 5, 2011)

With her first short-story collection, her writing takes another leap forward, into a landscape entirely her own.
added by peterbrown | editGuardian, Justine Jordan (Nov 26, 2011)

Binna feart, hinny,
yin day we'll gang thegither
tae thae stourie
blaebellwids
and loss wirsels -

see, I'd raither
whummel a single oor
intae the blae wee flo'ers
than live fur a' eternity
in some cauld hivvin

from 'Speirin' by Kathleen Jamie
For James

Sarah Hall has been hailed as "one of the most significant and exciting of Britain's young novelists" (The Guardian). Now, in this collection of short fiction published in England to phenomenal praise, she has created a work at once provocative and mesmerizing.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,620,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible