My Memories of a Future Life by Roz Morris

My Memories of a Future Life

by Roz Morris

811,035,133 (4.67)None

This is a quirky, intelligent novel that explores the psychology of control and relationships. When Jerry invites Carol to watch him get publicly hypnotized, Carol struggles with the boundaries of their friendship; especially because she realizes that, despite their close friendship, Jerry had previously invited another friend, but that Jerry is also hiding his decision from his boyfriend. The author masterfully maintains this tension through the remainder of the book.

Not to ignore Carol's experience of repetitive strain injury, which is denying her core identity as a pianist and that relationship with the world around her. There are some deep and meaningful passages about chronic pain and correlated grieving.

As Carol grows away from her core identity, she needs to relinquish control and trust new people. Can she trust Gene, who has magically re-entered her life after a chance encounter during university? Their growing relationship drew me into the story and I was fascinated to learn how it resolved.

There is so much more that I could say if I was willing to spoil the story. Talk to me about it after you've read it. ( )
  bsiemens | Jun 1, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,815,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible