My Brother by Jamaica Kincaid

My Brother (1997)

by Jamaica Kincaid

Interesting read about Antigua, since I was there when I read it. It was sad and well written, though a little too restrained for my taste. I wanted more emotion and less repetition. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
I bring some background to my comments. I lived in Antigua and knowk the places Kincaid refers to, I have heard her read from her best known book A Small Place to an Antigua audience. I think she is a very autobiographical author and bringing herself into the book is part of her style. Her tidbits of Antigua culture,especially family life are on target. But the strength of this book is a view of dying,not just her brother's death but those of others. The book meanders, it circles back,it repeats, but for any of us who have lost a family member and have such mixed feelings reflecting back on our earlier relationships I think this book makes us think,gives us a context for facing our own feelings of ambiguity with death. ( )
  carterchristian1 | Sep 4, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374525625, Paperback)

Compassion only occasionally lightens the grim tone of Jamaica Kincaid's searing account of her younger brother Devon's 1996 death from AIDS. As in novels such as Annie John, Kincaid is ruthlessly honest about her ambivalence toward the impoverished Caribbean nation from which she fled, her restrictive family, and the culture that imprisoned Devon. That honesty, which includes chilling detachment from her brother's suffering, is sometimes alienating. But art has its own justifications. The bitter clarity of Kincaid's prose and the tangled, undeniably human feelings it lucidly dissects are justification enough.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:08 -0400)

Kincaid's poetic and often shockingly frank account of Devon's life is also the story of their family on the island of Antigua.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,724,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible