The Brick Bible: A New Spin on the Old…

The Brick Bible: A New Spin on the Old Testament

by Brendan Powell Smith

THE BRICK BIBLE: A NEW SPIN ON THE OLD TESTAMENT as told and illustrated by Brendan Powell Smith is an interesting Religion/Art/Lego’s. A colorful, imaginative, version of the Bible, the Old Testament actually using Lego’s to demonstrate the various scenes. The author uses Lego bricks to portray biblical scenes as he tells the various Old Testament scripture as accurately as possible. I enjoyed the whimsical artwork,but do be aware some scenes may be offensive,as it depicts killing,and other things,but the author does bring the Lego characters alive as well. Please be aware, that to me “The Brick Bible” may not be appropriate for all young children, it has graphic scenes as well as is explicit while telling the scriptures. Some parents may find it offensive, while children may enjoy the various ways in which the author as created scenes using Lego characters. My 12 year-old grandson loves Lego, but has not read “The Brick Bible” as yet. While, it is an interesting take on the Old Testament, it is explicit and graphic. It is worth a look at to me,but others may not feel the seem way. I do feel that “The Brick Bible” is NOT for young children! It is deceptive,not for young children! More for adult Lego fans than for children. Received for an honest review from the publisher.
(This product is not sponsored, authorized, or endorsed by the LEGO company.)
RATING: 3
HEAT RATING: *Too explicit for young children,but for adults not so much*
REVIEWED BY: AprilR, Courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Nov 15, 2013 |
14. The Brick Bible: A New Spin on the Old Testament] by Brendan Powell Smith (2011, 265 pages, read Mar 1-28 with my son)

Ok, this was an experience to read with my son, who is six. There is blood and gore and killing on practically every page. My son was so excited to see Lego Darth Maul heads on several black lego people. They were charred corpses, victims of one the whimsical massacres by God of Israelites or maybe some other group. In the midst of all those battles and mass killings, at one point my son said, "Wow, they killed a lot of people." It was lot more fun to read than Lego City or Lego Ninjago.

As for the book itself, it's a satire that defends itself by showing things that the bible actually has in it. The bible is actually this gory, and they do kill a lot of people. I get the point, but still cringed at how Smith simplified the story. I actually found myself really sad at how much he butchered the David story in Samuel in Kings. Of course, instead of typical simplifying the bible to gain converts and warp peoples morals or whatever, Smith does it to entertain and repulse. ( )
  dchaikin | Apr 18, 2013 |
I so wanted to like this book, and on many levels, I do. I like that it uses something that is universally kid known and kid friendly to bring scripture to life. It is colorful, engaging and creative! I hope to use this side by side with lego to create a sort of 'Godly Play" model of exploring the Bible. I especially hope that this is an effective way to reach some of my craft-weary boys. . . BUT reading about the author (his website was flagged "adult content" by my computer), I am convinced that he included some stories in there for the sheer purpose of shock value (sodom and gomorrah, and Lot "laying down" with his daughters, circumcision, etc.) I am kind of offended not by the story, but by the sense that they were included on some level as a "joke". Really?? We need all of the circumcision pictures?? His level of maturity seems appropriate for what you might imagine an adult who plays with legos might be. His irreverence is not offensive to me as much as it is disappointing to me. this book could be so great. . . .

For context, I am a Christian Educator who serves a fairly large progressive metropolitan congregation in a mainline denomination. ( )
  TPC.child.library | Sep 20, 2012 |
An interesting take on the Old Testament. The Brick Bible depicts scenes form Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Samuel, Kings, and Chronicles. This is a graphic novel with the illustrations done using Lego. ( )
  ascension-library | Nov 16, 2011 |
A retelling of stories from ten books of the Old Testament, using LEGOs for illustrations.
  Lake_O_UCC | Oct 23, 2011 |

Retells ten books from the Old Testament with illustrations created with LEGO toys.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,450,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible