A Wedding Invitation by Alice J. Wisler

A Wedding Invitation

by Alice J. Wisler

I was so excited when I got this book in the mail after I had won it from Library Things Early Reviewers Giveaway. But when I started turning the pages and reading the words in this book I pretty much got tired of it really fast.

The main character is so one dimensional and throughout the whole story you really never get to see her grow. I caught myself wishing this story was more about the other characters in this story and not about Samantha. If it weren't for those characters, I probably would have marked this book as a DNF and gave up. I just couldn't get into the love story, it just seemed to fake to me, there was so many things that were so unbelievable to me.

I will say I loved the character Dovie, I think she is what got me to finish this book. Also I will say I think this book was really well written. I liked the history in the book. I'm a big history buff though so if you don't like History you might not like it.

If you want a light read, this is defiantly that. I just really got annoyed with Samantha, so much that I have to give this book a lower rating then I would have if it wasn't mainly about her.

A Wedding invitation wasn't he best book I've read, but it was okay for a light read.

I give this book a 2 1/2 stars! ( )
  Alisbookshelf | Apr 5, 2012 |
NCLA Review: If you are in the mood for a sweet and endearing story, this is just the right book. Ms. Wisler does a great job of character connection. There are so many varying lessons to be learned from each character as their past experiences are revealed throughout the story. You won’t be able to keep from having your heart strings pulled as the story of Samantha’s life is revealed. Such an intelligent and loving girl, with character flaws that we all carry. The story holds some twists and turns that will make you smile and cheer. Among the pages, you will get a glimpse into a life lived in a refugee camp awaiting “the ticket” to America where prejudices on both sides abound though they work alongside one other. This is a story about sacrifices, love and seeking God for wisdom. A light-hearted but thought provoking novel that could have you seeking God’s voice in some of your every day decisions. And what an absolutely delightful and delicious surprise at the end! Rating: 3 —PL ( )
  ncla | Mar 13, 2012 |
I was happy when I saw the book in the mailbox the other day. I have heard great things about it and was anxious to give it a go. Samantha's invited to her friend's wedding. As she is getting anxious to go she calls one of her friends to meet up with her. The day of the wedding she doesn't see anyone she knows or her friend. She goes into the church anyway as she wants to see her friend wed. Turns out Samantha was at the wrong wedding it was not her friend getting married after all, but a person with the same name. She does meet a nice gentleman at the wedding and they start to see each other a few times. As Sam goes to visit her aunt down in Winston-Salem she runs into a long-lost student she had taught in the Philippines. Huy invites her to his families restaurant where she sees Lien for the first time since she left. With this visit Carson ( her friend and co-worker from the Philippines ) learns of Samantha's whereabouts and tries to contact her. Sam doesn't know what to think about meeting up with Carson again after all these years.

I enjoyed learning about Samantha's teaching job and then coming back to the states to help her mom run the boutique shop. Then to learn of her family and their pasts. The romance aspect was nice and sweet not gushy or sappy. It was just the right tone.

The setting in both Virginia and North Carolina are described well. The author did a good job in her research.
This is a book I will reread again and again. This is a must read. ( )
  BarbsReviews | Nov 7, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764207334, Paperback)

Charming Southern Fiction to Delight Contemporary Readers

After returning home from teaching English at a refugee camp in the Philippines, Samantha Bravencourt enjoys her quiet life working at her mother's clothing boutique in Falls Church, Virginia. When she receives an invitation to a wedding in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, she looks forward to reconnecting with her college friend. Instead her life collides with Carson, a fellow teacher and the man who broke her heart, and a young Amerasian refugee named Lien who needs Samantha and Carson's help to find her mother before Lien's own wedding. When the search for Lien's mother reveals surprising secrets from the past, Samantha must reevaluate her own memories and decide whether to continue to play it safe or take a risk that could change her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:07 -0400)

Sam is looking forward to her friend's wedding, but the wedding changes everything when she runs into an old flame from her days as a teacher in a Philippine refugee camp.

Alice J. Wisler is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,465,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible